Hi, I'm thinking of switch from E* to DirecTV.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
TEN89 said:
Ok, I won't have to send anything back. everythings mine.

Be careful. When I cancelled they wanted a 6000 and 508 that I had purchased, I had to fax them the receipts before thet changed their minds.

rad said:
Be careful. When I cancelled they wanted a 6000 and 508 that I had purchased, I had to fax them the receipts before thet changed their minds.

There not getting my 921 or 721! :haha

I'm following this thread because I am thinking of switching from E* to D* as well. I'm nearing my 1 year commitment (1 more month) to Dish (DHA) and I have HDTV, so I'll want to get the D-10 Tivo. Here are the questions I have if anyone is willing to help:

1) Do I have to wait until I cancel with E* before I subscribe to D*? Since I'm on the DHA plan with Dish, I'll have to send the equipment back. What all do I have to send back to Dish? The dish (obviously), the switch, the 522 receiver I have... what about the wiring from the dish to the receiver? See, I was wondering if I swith to D* now if they'd be able to use the same wiring? If not, then they would have to run new wiring along side of the E* wiring and everything... not sure if I want to do that? Also, my current dish is installed on the roof of my house - would D* use the same spot to install their Dish or would they install it somewhere else?

I guess I could just unhook the Dish 522 myself and remove all of the wiring so that D* could use the same holes and everything, right? But I'll still have to call my Dish installer to have them remove the dish itself because I'm not sure I could do it (especially in the winter like this when it's slippery on the roof). Please advise...

2) Now about the HR10-250. I want to confirm that it has the following features that are essential to my setup:

A) OTA antenna hookup and ability to record from the OTA antenna in HDTV. Since most of the shows I watch are on the local channels, it is essential that I am able to record from the OTA antenna. From the specs I read, it appears that I can also record 2 shows at once from the OTA antenna - is that right?

B) 2 Tuners. I don't care how many outputs it has since I'll only be using 1 room, but I do want the ability to record 2 satellite shows at once.

Anything else that the D-10 can/cannot do when compared to my current 522 (aside from the obvious difference between SD and HD)?

Thanks for ANY help you can give. :)

Trav,

OK, here's what you do. Either get D now or wait until the contract is up. If I were you, I'd at least call and ask E when it is up to be sure. Of course, if you switch now, then you are paying 2 months of services in one month. So waiting might be better.

Check your local retailers for their specials. Sometimes they have extra rebates. I got paid $50 for switching with a rebate from the retailer.

As for the old dish...
1. Leave everything. The D isntaller will replace the dish with the HD oval one and use the existing wiring.
2. Since you have a 522, you already have 2 wires going to the tv so no need to run extra unless you want more receiver.
3. I believe the oval dish also has a multiswitch built in so it will combine the OFA signals at the dish. They should install all that you need, but check with the retailer so you don't get hit with any extra cost you don't know about. Explain to them what you have and what you want and they will fix you up.
4. The HR10-250 is dual tuner. Not positivie about the record OTA but I think it can.
5. Unless you already own a D-10, more than likely you will receive the R10 80 gig model. The retailers probably don't have any D-10s left. I like the R10 though I don't have anything to compare it to.

The only difference that is major between the 522 and the D recrs is that the 522 can output to a seperate room through coax. Also it has a second remote for independent control. It doesn't sound like you use that now. There is a way to do a back feed using the coax out of the R10. Run the coax out to your second room, then use the RCA hookups for you main tv. But then you have to figure out how to control the R10 from the other room which entails using something like an RF universal remote with RF receiver/IR blaster. I thought about this option for my house but went head and got a basic receiver for my second room.

Hope that helps.

Oh I forgot to mention. The TiVo funtionality is heads aboce teh E PVR functionality. It is night and day between them.

scrotus said:
Trav,
As for the old dish...
5. Unless you already own a D-10, more than likely you will receive the R10 80 gig model. The retailers probably don't have any D-10s left. I like the R10 though I don't have anything to compare it to.
The only difference that is major between the 522 and the D recrs is that the 522 can output to a seperate room through coax. Also it has a second remote for independent control. It doesn't sound like you use that now. There is a way to do a back feed using the coax out of the R10. Run the coax out to your second room, then use the RCA hookups for you main tv. But then you have to figure out how to control the R10 from the other room which entails using something like an RF universal remote with RF receiver/IR blaster. I thought about this option for my house but went head and got a basic receiver for my second room.
Hope that helps.

Yes, that was VERY helpful, thanks a bunch. I'll be getting the HR10-250 from Value Electronics for $799 and I'll probably schedule the install through them. When I call, I'll ask what would be best since I still have the Dish equipment installed.

Right now, I do have the 522 hooked up via Coax to my computer in the adjacent room. I don't use it too often though, so I could do without it. But couldn't I run either the S-Video+RCA audio or the Composite+RCA audio to my computer - I have the ATI AIW 9800 Pro capture card that has S-Video input and RCA audio inputs.

Just so you know, the HR10-250 does not output on the S-Video or composite video out's unless it's set to output a 480i signal, if set to 480p, 720p or 1080i the those outputs are disabled.

rad said:
Just so you know, the HR10-250 does not output on the S-Video or composite video out's unless it's set to output a 480i signal, if set to 480p, 720p or 1080i the those outputs are disabled.

Okay, thanks for the info. So how do you switch the output - just a menu command? For example, let's say I did have it hooked up to my PC via S-Video and wanted to watch something. Would I just go into the menu and set it for 480i temporarily and then switch it back when I'm done? Like I said, I don't watch on the PC very often, but I'd still like to know.

Trav said:
Okay, thanks for the info. So how do you switch the output - just a menu command? For example, let's say I did have it hooked up to my PC via S-Video and wanted to watch something. Would I just go into the menu and set it for 480i temporarily and then switch it back when I'm done? Like I said, I don't watch on the PC very often, but I'd still like to know.

You can do it either via the front panel switch on on the remote, press the up arrow onthe disc and it will cycle through the different resolutions.

rad said:
You can do it either via the front panel switch on on the remote, press the up arrow onthe disc and it will cycle through the different resolutions.

Ok thanks, sounds easy enough. I already ordered the HR10-250 from VE, so I'm pretty excited to give it a try when everything gets hooked up!

OK, I too want to switch from E* to D*. I was waiting for the 522 deal, but it looks like it's not much of a deal at all.

I have the Americas 180 package with locals. Can someone advise what D* package is close to that? Also, I have a 4 room install at the present time, but I would like to get two DirecTivos. One for the family room & one for my Bedroom. this will involve the installtion of, at least, two more cables from the dish on the roof, correct? Finally are there any Directivos with two outputs or some kind of way that I could use the PIP on me set? TIA :D

As far as I know, PIP is not supported. You might be able to do it through your tv itself by using the coax out and the component/svideo out and analog audio to your tv. I have not tested this but I just might try it this weekend.

Yes, you will need an extra line for each dual tuner. Run the 2 lines yourself and save the $75-150 the installer will want to charge you. That is not included in basic install. I ran 2 extras for my install and it wasn't hard. Just go buy a fish tape from Home Depot.

As for packages, it's TC, TC plus or TC Premium. The premium is $100 per month but includes all channels and alll premiums (minuss the adults I believe).

oh and just leave all your equipment hooked up until the installers get there. They will reuse your mast from the old equipment and the lines. You can remove your receivers if you want when they get there so they don't mess anything up if you have them hooked to a audio receiver or something.

My install took 45 minutes including activation because I had things prepped for them.

Ok I was over at my local Best Buy. 250 gets me one R10 & 3 basic receivers. What I forgot to ask is that in the form of check or just credit on my first bill? Also, since D* does not charge a per receiver charge for the 3rd & subsequent units, looks like I'll be saving about 15 a month on Total Choice +, & Locals & 4 receivers vs the Americas 180, Locals, & 4 receivers right now. Or am I missing something else?

Sorry to say, but DIRECTV charges $4.99/per mo. for every receiver after the first.

Also, I don't see the good value in the Best Buy deal? If you using a 18" dish our SatelliteGuys forum deal for the same DVR 4 room system is $89.99 delivered to your door, no tax and you will get an additional $50. rebate form DIRECTV, so your total final cost is $39.99.

-Robert

lovswr said:
Ok I was over at my local Best Buy. 250 gets me one R10 & 3 basic receivers. What I forgot to ask is that in the form of check or just credit on my first bill? Also, since D* does not charge a per receiver charge for the 3rd & subsequent units, looks like I'll be saving about 15 a month on Total Choice +, & Locals & 4 receivers vs the Americas 180, Locals, & 4 receivers right now. Or am I missing something else?

Well Robert I wished that I had seen your post earlier (guess I need to pay better attention here :D)

I just signed up with the BellSouth/DirecTV. I'm going from AT-180/Locals/HBO for approx 90/month to Direct Choice Premier/Locals & T I V O!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for approx. 95/month. Next Saturday, 12 Mar 05. I can't freaken' wait!!! :):):)

You still should get the upgrade to TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER at no charge for 3 months, so you monthly bill for the first 3 months should be about $46./mo

How much was the upfront cost?

You will love your new multi-channel DVR services, you made a great decision to go with a DIRECTV DVR system.

-Robert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)