High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

Yeah, Amazons numbers for HDDVD blipped up for 2 days(kinda like right before you'd hit the heart witht he paddles), now they are falling again.

Bestbuy is having a BOGO on Univ and Paramount titles(wonder why that is ;)).

Then there's this:

BURBANK -- Word working its way around the Warner Bros. 85th anniversary event on the studio lot Tuesday night was that some electronics retailers are being flooded with returns of HD DVD players.
In fact, so many are being returned that some retailers are in possession of more returned HD DVD players than new stock.
I won't tell you who said what or which retailers we're talking about, but I will tell you that execs from Amazon.com and Best Buy were in attendance.

Hollywood In Hi-Def

I saw that for myself two weeks ago, looking for a player for my dad - I had to go to three BB's to find an unopened HD-A3. All three stores had plenty of open-box options...

There has been 2 opened a2's on the shelf in my local wally world for the last two weeks, both with missing upc's :)D). They are sitting next to 4 more new ones.

HD DVD appears to be making a comeback this week. Well at least the initial panic seems to be over and people are realizing that the discs do not self distruct and the players burst into flames this summer. As posted on the digital bits:

Software units sales ratios as of 02/03/08:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 74.......HD-DVD 26
YTD:....................Blu-ray 76.......HD-DVD 24
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 65.......HD-DVD 35

BD picked up 1% more on the since inception mark.

Not really, if you look at sales graphs the spike started during this period.

You have BBuy BOGO's, Amazon discounts and now even Barnes and Nobles is selling them at 50% cost. We'll continue to see 70's and 20's, but it wont matter, they cant make up for the lack of titles coming for the rest of the year.

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 02/03/08:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 74.......HD-DVD 26

Normalized to make comparison with previous postings easier:
Week ending .........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 35
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 32
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 54

(Somebody trying to hijack my thread and replace me? ;))

There has been 2 opened a2's on the shelf in my local wally world for the last two weeks, both with missing upc's :)D). They are sitting next to 4 more new ones.

Would be very surprised if they were A2 I'll take them to go along with my XA2,A2,pannyBD10 and soon to be PS3.:neener

Software units sales ratios as of 02/10/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 81.......HD-DVD 19
YTD:....................Blu-ray 77.......HD-DVD 23

Week ending:.........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 23
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 30

How much longer will the corpse twitch?

Software units sales ratios as of 02/17/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 73.......HD-DVD 27

Week ending:.........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 37
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 32

HD DVD is making a comeback. ;)

Interest in clearly waning at HMM for publishing these figures - the pie chart has slid to page 40.

Anyway, 2 of the top 10 are HD DVD titles: Transformers & Bourne.

These percentages/ratios are usless anymore. What we need now are real numbers to judge just how well blu-ray is really doing against DVD.

I doubt it will be worthwhile to publish those for a while. Maybe as the Turkey Day holiday season nears..... :p

I'm sure there'll be growth this year. But as the digital conversion education campaign gets into full swing, and the date approaches, the number of HDTVs will increase. Probably next year, over 50% of U.S. households will have HDTVs, and will want sources for them (as they learn they actually NEED an HD source). So I think Xmas season, and moreso next year, will see most of the growth.

The curse of HD-DVD still haunting BD

Paramount Payout from Toshiba

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)