High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

The power of BOGO's returns. HD DVD has two titles in the top ten! :eek:

Yes, I know HD DVD's dead and buried. However, it posted its highest share since Warner went Blu. Is it HD DVD owners grabbing titles before they're gone? Are Blu fans not trying to support their format anymore? (Doubtful. The top 4 titles were blue.) Bargains always make for happy shoppers!

Nielsen VideoScan High-Def market share for week ending February 17th, 2008 - Engadget HD

nielsen_021708.jpg

nielsen_list021708.jpg

Could it just be that nobody is buying hi def discs? How many discs did We own the night actually sell? Say 40k, that means only 12k sold of Transformers and Bourne. Not unreasonable that the top selling title of a dead format sell 12k copies, IMO. This is why ratios between HD and BR now mean nothing.

-John

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 02/24/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 77.......HD-DVD 23
YTD:....................Blu-ray 76.......HD-DVD 24
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 65.......HD-DVD 35

Normalized to make comparison with previous postings easier:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 30
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 32
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 54

The best selling movie was "American Gangster," an HD DVD release. It was the only HD DVD in the top ten - but it was #1 and sold almost twice the next best seller (Michael Clayton, BD).

It really looks to me that overall sales have tanked, but I could be wrong.

I wish there was. Such figures are generally not released to the public, at least not in a timely fashion. I've rarely seen absolute sales figures from a reliable source.

Aye, comparisons only go so far, that's why these figures have only been 'so' valuable. There are 1-2 posts of mine a dozen pages back that try and break down a week based on stuff that was announced. Perhaps the BD sales of Michael Clayton will be mentioned as an aside somewhere, from there you can extrapolate the rest.

In the end, these ratios we've been arguing about could be a few thousand copies one week and 20 thousand the next, we don't really know.

Last I read, it was something like 1%. It will grow.

But, yes, Vurbano, there is a secret group here that has all the figures but is keeping them from you. :rolleyes:

Last I read, it was something like 1%. It will grow.

But, yes, Vurbano, there is a secret group here that has all the figures but is keeping them from you. :rolleyes:
Well Ive seen wild boasts in this forum that BD will overcome DVD's lead in a few years. SHouldnt we track such an impotant event. Are not DVD unit sales kept track of by neilsen? You did such a fine job of posting the HD DVD comparison immediately as it happened but when it comes to the real War you don't want to track it? I guess the reality that HDM will ever be anything more than a niche product for the next 10 years is hard to swallow.

It would be nice if someone with the figures actually published them. Then we could post them. Maybe in a year or two it will become "interesting" enough that Home Media Magazine or someone will start tracking and publishing. I'd love to post BD vs DVD. But no one yet posts that, to my knowledge. It isn't remotely close. But in 2009?

Vurb, remember your post: "I guess the reality that HDM will ever be anything more than a niche product for the next 10 years is hard to swallow." I expect BD sales will double or more in 2008 over 2007. And grow faster in 2009. So maybe in a year or two it will be a matter of such interest as to be tracked.

I doubt that the BDA will sit still. They have well crafted plans, carefully conceived, to encourage the adoption of Blu-ray. There will be incentives.

I doubt DVD will ever disappear, at least not in the next 10 years. But I do believe that eventually Blu-ray will have greater unit sales than standard DVD. It will take years.

I wonder where we'll be in 5 years, much less 10? Of course, some think we'll all be dead in 2012.

Damn mayans.

Dvd is almost dead to me, as each month passes and each price drops, more and more will feel the same.

But hey, why not keep arguing about the inevitable, the same way we argued with many folks on here about the demise of a certain format. Just as "hd-dvd isn't going anywhere", neither is DVD. :rolleyes:

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 03/3/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 75.......HD-DVD 25
YTD:....................Blu-ray 76.......HD-DVD 24
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 66.......HD-DVD 34

Normalized to make comparison with previous postings easier:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 33
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 32
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 52

The best selling movie was "30 Days of Night," a Blu-ray release. There are two HD DVDs in the top ten, in the number 2 and 3 spots.

I'm really surprised at the staying power of HD DVD sales. Of course, they will drop as stocks dwindle but it's clear there are plenty of HD DVD owners that plan to keep their machines running for many years to come. They can stock up now, and no doubt in future years there will be HD DVD titles available on the used market. Just no new titles. So that means what - only 400-500 titles to choose from? ;)

It would be nice if someone with the figures actually published them. Then we could post them. Maybe in a year or two it will become "interesting" enough that Home Media Magazine or someone will start tracking and publishing. I'd love to post BD vs DVD. But no one yet posts that, to my knowledge. It isn't remotely close. But in 2009?

Vurb, remember your post: "I guess the reality that HDM will ever be anything more than a niche product for the next 10 years is hard to swallow." I expect BD sales will double or more in 2008 over 2007. And grow faster in 2009. So maybe in a year or two it will be a matter of such interest as to be tracked.

I doubt that the BDA will sit still. They have well crafted plans, carefully conceived, to encourage the adoption of Blu-ray. There will be incentives.

I doubt DVD will ever disappear, at least not in the next 10 years. But I do believe that eventually Blu-ray will have greater unit sales than standard DVD. It will take years.

I wonder where we'll be in 5 years, much less 10? Of course, some think we'll all be dead in 2012.
You call profile 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 "well crafted plans, carefully conceived"?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts