High Def Disc unit sales - The Digital Bits

Joe can be proud of his preachings... :)

FYI, DVD-Video standard:
- does NOT have DTS mandatory, only PCM and AC3 is;
- has no mention of MP3. No DVD ever had or will have an MP3 sound track;
- "other file types" are not allowed in the DVD-Video standard.

All the DVD player problems of the 90s have to do with player manufacturers not following specs.
The same as the first BD+ titles from FOX not playable on LG and Samsung players.

Bottom line: A DVD player made to specs in 1997 will be able to show all features of a DVD released today.

Blu-ray is unique in terms of being the first to break this tradition with "profiling".

Whether you want to call this f*ck-up "design of a genius" or "we are neither the first nor alone" is up to you.

Diogen.

Note that many of those players "made to specs in 1997" could not play some of the later DVD's, notably those used for home recording (-R, +R,+RW). And of course they had other problems. Those of us who were early adopters probably had to go through several versions.

Yes, people are so confused by some cars having automatic transmissions, and some manual. Oh, and all of them should come with sun roofs because a few use them. And how some cameras use film, others memory cards- oh, and there's such a confusing assortment of memory cards. And it's so confusing about the different outputs on DVD players.

Gee, there are so many differences in so many products sold, maybe we ought to just retire from it all.
Your post kinda comes off sounding like your justifying or trying to hide BD flaws. Your cute analogy to transmissions aside these facts should not be swept under the rug. Its not a crime to point out that if a customer buys a disk expecting to go online to link up with others, or play games, or access additional content but can’t because they have a 1.0 or 1.1 player. These new disks are coming out and no doubt BD will advertise all the new capabilities’ but most if not all players are 1.0 or 1.1, there will be plenty of backlash.

Your post kinda comes off sounding like your justifying or trying to hide BD flaws.
"Flaws? What flaws? BD has no stinkin' flaws!
BD is as perfect an optical format as it could possibly be!!
People should kiss Sony's sandals for blessing humanity with such an invention!!!

Those few minor obstacles like profiling just shows the genius of the inventor.
There is nothing that some smart-ass rhetoric or a couple quotes from Blu Shill Bill won't fix!

And remember, we are early adopters! Being regularly put in a "doggy" position is by design! We are proud of it and immensely enjoy it!"

Did I miss anything? :)

Diogen.

What are former HD-DVD fanboys going to complain about when all BD players are 2.0?

What are former HD-DVD fanboys going to complain about when all BD players are 2.0?
All players?
I don't think you and I will ever know the answer to this question since humans don't live that long...

Diogen.

If most people can't or don't use profile 2.0, I doubt they'll miss 2.0. Or resent paying extra for a feature they don't want/need.

Don't worry, you'll always have something to pick about. It'll just be less and less relevant as time goes by.

All players?
I don't think you and I will ever know the answer to this question since humans don't live that long...

Diogen.

So you're saying the former HD-DVD fanboy complaining will go on forever??

So you're saying the former HD-DVD fanboy complaining will go on forever??
Forever is a strong word. For as long as BD lives this option will probably be there...

But I suspect the arguing will die off... Either because BD kills DVD or itself.

But every time the issue of "BD was as perfect in execution as it was genetically" comes up, there will be something to counter that claim...

Diogen.

"Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years."

Attachments

• nielsen030908.jpg
    nielsen030908.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 140
  • nielsen_list_030908_1.jpg
    nielsen_list_030908_1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 145
Ironicly i think people are buying HDDVDs because they are going away so the 'new' pricing isnt dissuading them, while the BD prices they know they can wait for them to come down, so they aren't getting bought.

So much for the dedicated BD fans, should start a thread for people's recent BD purchases, like HD has in their forum... would be quite telling IMO.

From Home Media Magazine:

Software units sales ratios as of 03/9/08:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 65.......HD-DVD 35
YTD:....................Blu-ray 75.......HD-DVD 25
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 66.......HD-DVD 34

Normalized to make comparison with previous postings easier:
Week ending:.........Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 54
YTD:....................Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 33
Since inception:.....Blu-ray 100.......HD-DVD 52

WOW. I get back from a long lunch, and some folks are so excited they can't wait! ;)

The best selling movie was "Beowolf," an HD DVD release. There are three HD DVDs in the top ten.

Amazing. Yep, people must be stocking up before the long, permanent drought. Staving off buying Blu-ray, at least until prices come down.

Why is it amazing? I think it proves what I have thought for a long time, it's about the cost. HD DVD titles are selling because even Best Buy has them for 30% off, bringing them down to the price of a DVD. People want HD, just not for 50% more than regular DVD.

If it were about the cost, you think maybe HD DVD mighta won?

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)