High Def UHF receiver

buzz263

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Hello all!

I just bought a travel trailer has a TV and vhf/uhf antenna. I was curious if it was possible to get a High Def receiver to hook into the analog tv, so that I might be able to get HD channels if I'm in range of the HD UHF broadcast...

If so what is a decent/yet cheap way to go...this is a camper, lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buzz

I don't know if the Satellite FTA section of the forum is the right place for this, but since I don't fully understand the question, maybe it is... :)

First, terrestrial hi def broadcasts to homes are actually on UHF.
Second, an analog TV won't display hi def.
Now, there are some satellite (or other) hi def receivers which will get the signal and down-convert to go to your analog TV, but then the picture would be... not hi def.
It would be crisp and clear, as long as you got a solid hi def (digital) signal from the station.

The better solutions are:
Get a hi def TV with built in tuner. I have one and love it.
Get a hi def monitor to go with whatever hi def tuner you buy.
Watch digital FTA satellite transmissions on your analog TV. Most are very sharp, though not hi def.

DirecTV and Dish both offer versions of their satellite receivers with local hi def tuners.

At least one of our forum advertizers offers the Coolsat 8000 hi def FTA satellite receiver.
It has a terestrial hi def tuner. See review in our FTA Review section for more info.

Not sure if any of these answers are what you were looking for.
If not, ask more questions and I'm sure someone will be able to get you a better answer.

. . . so what is a decent/yet cheap way to go...this is a camper, lol.
Yes, when you find a good campsite, get up at dawn and enjoy the clean air and beautiful views.
If necessary, carry Windex for your glasses.
No TV needed for camping. :D

I also do not think this is in the right section but that is alright.

This is how I understand your question. You are asking if you can buy a HD Tuner that can be hooked up to your Regular (SD) television.

If that is the question there are tuners like the Samsung SIR-T451 that can pickup HDTV and outputs in SVideo, Composite (RCA) and RF outputs. I used the Samsung SIR-T451 as an example because I have used the tuner before and it works well, it also has LG's 5th generation HDTV tuner which helps alot with multipath issues.

EDIT - I just noticed that Anole has posted a similar response.

moved ot the HD OTA area

Yes you can hook a HD box to an anlog TV. I have an old Voom box hooked up to my 25" TV (SD only).

buzz263, there are old satellite receivers that have atsc tuners (terrestrial hdtv) that can be bought real cheap now on the auction web sites. you wont be viewing high def through an ordinary analog tube type tv. the receiver gives you the option to letterbox or crop the image. most people, once they see digital broadcast tv through an old tv the high def dosnt matter you wont go back to analog unless you really must catch the next episode of a tv show and there isnt a digital channel for that network where you are at. if you decide to purchase an old satellite receiver be very cautious about purchasing the voom receiver the link below gives you all the information you need.

roashru < link
old satellite receiver purchasing info

This probably doesn't meet your definition of cheap, but . . .

I was searching for "cable HDMI" on the Radio Shack site. (try that for a good laugh)
At the very end, I ran across a Toshiba D-R550 DVD Recorder with Built-in HD Tuner .
Just goes to show ya what the manufacturers will think up. :cool:

This probably doesn't meet your definition of cheap, but . . .

I was searching for "cable HDMI" on the Radio Shack site. (try that for a good laugh)
At the very end, I ran across a Toshiba D-R550 DVD Recorder with Built-in HD Tuner .
Just goes to show ya what the manufacturers will think up. :cool:

All manufacturers will have to add atsc tuners in all vcrs, dvd recorders and tv's because analog goes by bye in 2009!!!

Thanks for all the helps guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum!!

Buzz

I don't know if the Satellite FTA section of the forum is the right place for this, but since I don't fully understand the question, maybe it is... :)

First, terrestrial hi def broadcasts to homes are actually on UHF.
Second, an analog TV won't display hi def.
Now, there are some satellite (or other) hi def receivers which will get the signal and down-convert to go to your analog TV, but then the picture would be... not hi def.
It would be crisp and clear, as long as you got a solid hi def (digital) signal from the station. :D

Not all HD is n UHF some is VHF now and some statiosn will be broadcasting from their VJF positions after 2009.

I have a standa lone digital receiver and I while it is not HD on my old analog set it ws stll better reception---and more channels than I got with an analog tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)