High FEC rate SES 1 (101W)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a 30 year warranty on my roof. It only covers the shingles, not the labor. The shingles are not available anymore. The company that built the house is long gone. 22 years and the roof looks good still, but I know the day will come.

8' is the minimum for 2 degree separation between adjacent satellites. A larger dish will provide the required gain for higher modulations and error correction ratios. The higher the FEC, the less error correction is provided. 8psk and higher modulation requires a larger and efficient dish for reliable reception. I would agree that the minimum that you should consider is 10'.

Many free 10' dishes on Craigslist, begging for a new home! :)

i see that you know alot about this so maybe you could answer my question, i was doing some research and saw AMC 11 on 131W and kinda like this one. satbeams recommend 5 ft dish for my location, do you think 8 ft will suffice for this one with all the error correction stuff?

131w has a few shopping channels, but most everything is encrypted. Without considering the 133w satellite interference and use of overlapping frequencies, the DVBS2 cable distribution channels would be received on an 6-8' dish.

Ignore the reflector recommendations on Satbeams. They are not based on reality. The site calculation is to obtain a DVBS transponder run at maximum power, full width transponder and a liberal FEC. Rarely would you find this robust of transponder.

The reflector has two primary functions: directivity and gain. 8' is the minimum to reject adjacent satellite interference and a 10' has even better rejection. Typically, the larger the reflector the narrower the beamwidth and the better the rejection of unwanted noise that is off axis.

A 8' dish will typically have enough gain for DVBS2 8PSK at most FEC ratios. The higher the FEC ratio, the requirement for more error free data increases. Example: a 10' dish is the minimum gain for most 16apsk services with their more aggressive error correction requirements.

A better quality feed and LNB (or LNBF) will make some difference, they cannot increase the gain or quality of signals that are not present. While optimized feeds and LNBs (LNBFs) are important and part of the equation, the reflector size and efficiency is the major factor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts