Hilariously Lopsided Sports Trades You Remember

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Before I start, a little announcement.

This is my last post on here until Thursday. Tomorrow, my family and I are going to Canada (Toronto, specifically) to visit some old family and friends (Growing up in Buffalo, we knew some people on the other side of the border).

Anyway,

a while back,

I posted a thread on trades that you thought were horrific at the time that actually turned out well after all.

Now,

I'm asking for trades that were so lopsided in favor of one team and against the other it was laugh-out-loud funny.

BTW, one rule: it has to involve at least one player being swapped, so I won't accept Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

1. Celtics trade 1980 #1 and #12 draft choices (Joe Barry Carroll and Rickey Brown) to Golden State for Robert Parish and 1980 #3 draft choice (Kevin McHale). Both Parish and McHale are in the Hall of Fame.

2. Celtics trade Rick Robey to Phoenix for Dennis Johnson.

3. Red Sox trade Heathcliff Slocumb to Seattle for Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe.

1. Not so much a trade, but a sale . . . the Babe to The Evil Empire

2. The Expos did not know what to do with this tall, uncontrollable pitcher named Randy Johnson and they traded him to the Mariners for Mark Langston

Ricky Williams (his draft pick number).....for all the picks that the Saints had in the draft.

Back in 1970 the Detroit Tigers traded Denny McLain, Elliott Maddox, Norm McRae, and Don Wert to the Washington Senators for Ed Brinkman, Aurelio Rodriguez, Joe Coleman, and Jim Hannan. McLain (convicted/jailed), Mcrae and Werts were gone from baseball in a year or two while Maddox bounced around for a half-dozen years. Brinkman had a few good years with the Tigers (gold glove), Rodriguez had more than a dozen productive years for Detroit and was always a gold glove candidate, and Joe Coleman was a 20 game winner with the Tigers and teamed with Mickey Lolich for a 2-3 good seasons.

No long suffering Cub fan (as myself) will EVER forget the 1964 trade that sent future Hall of Famer Lou Brock (along with Jack Spring / Paul Toth) to the Cardinals for Ernie Broglio ( aand Bobby Shantz / Doug Clemens). The WORST trade of all time:mad:

Patriots gave up the 16th pick (Jerry Rice)for the rights to draft Ben Thomas and Trevor Matich.

Red Sox traded Jeff Bagwell for Larry Anderson.

Wilt Chamberlain for Jerry Chambers, Darrell Imhoff and Archie Clark.

But none of those top BillD1984's #1, which would not have been possible had Utah not publically committed to taking Darrell Griffith with its own #2 pick.

I too young to remember this one but the Reds Traded Frank Robinson to the Orioles for Milt Pappas and some other no names. Robinson won the triple crown that next season and is widely considered the worst trade the Reds ever made.
One for the other side. The Reds got Joe Morgan,Cesar Geronimo,Jack Billingham and two others from the Astros for Lee May, Tommy Helms and Jim Stewart before the 1972 season. The three the Reds got were big cogs in the Big Red Machine with Morgan winning the MVP twice (1975 and 1976). May and Helms had some good years with the Astros but nothing like Morgan and company.

The Redskins traded their first rounder (#5) to the Saints for a first (#12), third (#71), fourth (#107), fifth (#144), sixth (#179) and seventh (#218) round pick in this year's draft, and a first and third round selection in 2000.

The Bears traded their first rounder (#7) to the Redskins for a first (#12), third (#71), fourth (#106), fifth (#143) in this year's draft, and the lower of the two third round picks in 2000.

The Bears traded their second rounder (#37) to the Redskins for a second (#40) and fifth (#144) round pick in this year's draft.

The Redskins traded their sixth (#179) and seventh (#218) round pick to the Broncos for a fifth-round pick (#165).

From a link at the Redskins site

Brooklyn Dodgers Catcher Cliff Dapper to the Atlanta Crackers for Crackers announcer Ernie Harwell.
Dapper, who is still with us, spent one month in the majors. Harwell of course is a living legend.

Willie Mays to the NY Mets for the entire NY Mets team. :D *If you have ever listened to George Carlin's original album you know what I am talking about.

Here is a couple of trades locally:

Detroit trades F Petr Klima, D Jeff Sharples,
F Adam Graves and RW Joe Murphy to Edmonton for C Jimmy Carson, RW Kevin McClelland,and a 5th-round pick
Many thought Carson would be the next great one, but was a dud. The wings that were traded helped the oilers win the cup the next year

Detroit trades C Adam Oates and F Paul MacLean to St. Louis for F Bernie Federko and F Tony McKegney:
Federko was at the end of his career and had a wopping 57 points...Oates went on the average 100 point seasons

Lions Trade a draft pick for Pat Swilling: Pat Swilling came here with big expectations and did NOTHING, the draft pick allowed N.O to draft Willie Roaf who had a fine career

Here is a couple of trades locally:

Detroit trades F Petr Klima, D Jeff Sharples,
F Adam Graves and RW Joe Murphy to Edmonton for C Jimmy Carson, RW Kevin McClelland,and a 5th-round pick
Many thought Carson would be the next great one, but was a dud. The wings that were traded helped the oilers win the cup the next year

Detroit trades C Adam Oates and F Paul MacLean to St. Louis for F Bernie Federko and F Tony McKegney:
Federko was at the end of his career and had a wopping 57 points...Oates went on the average 100 point seasons

Lions Trade a draft pick for Pat Swilling: Pat Swilling came here with big expectations and did NOTHING, the draft pick allowed N.O to draft Willie Roaf who had a fine career

Typical Lions. This trade was just one of many that didn't work out. That's why they have BEEN REBUILDING SINCE 1957!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)