Hispasat from Eastern Canada?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Hi all,
Has anyone in eastern Canada been able to get a solid lock on Hispasat 1C,1D @ 30w? I swung my 1.8m dish around and tried for a while, but nothing. I use that dish for 97W. From my location 30W is at elev 28.7 ... 97W is at 28.8 ... so I didn't fuss too much with elevation settings. I set my CS5000 to transponders that are on the american beam, and adjusted the skew by rotating the lnb from -29 to +29 degrees. My line of sight is great. I fear that signal levels here are really low and an even bigger dish is required. {...or, I gave up to quick....}

If anyone in NS, NB, PEI, ME has a lock on it, I'd love for you chime in. Perhaps indicate dish size / lnb type.

thanks,
Newt

I am in Iowa, and get it - actually it is very strong here. It does look like the dish is pointed to the ground - my elevation for it is around 10 or 11 degress (sorry, can't remember) :)

I checked on Lyngsat to see what they have posted for EIRP contours and I see that you would be near the 48 dbw contour. That would explain your higher signal levels. I'm sitting at the edge, at 35 dbw more or less. I realize those are likely theoreticals, but I'm hoping that real-world is a bit different.

N

I"m in southern NB, Hispasat is pretty easy to hit from here, I can get down to Telstar 12 and probably a bit further east but the dish hits the side of my house at that elevation. Equipment is in my signature.

Well, that sounds encouraging ... I guess I'll have to give it another go then. I had originally expected it to be quite easy to grab. I'm not far from you.... just over by Halifax, so it should be do-able. What size dish are you using... is it that 90cm one listed in your sig ?

Okay, thanks ... I'll try using that particular transponder. I'll be a little more persistent next time ... the mosquitos were getting to me !

cheers,
Newt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)