Hispasat from Eastern Canada?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Newt

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Hi all,
Has anyone in eastern Canada been able to get a solid lock on Hispasat 1C,1D @ 30w? I swung my 1.8m dish around and tried for a while, but nothing. I use that dish for 97W. From my location 30W is at elev 28.7 ... 97W is at 28.8 ... so I didn't fuss too much with elevation settings. I set my CS5000 to transponders that are on the american beam, and adjusted the skew by rotating the lnb from -29 to +29 degrees. My line of sight is great. I fear that signal levels here are really low and an even bigger dish is required. {...or, I gave up to quick....}

If anyone in NS, NB, PEI, ME has a lock on it, I'd love for you chime in. Perhaps indicate dish size / lnb type.

thanks,
Newt

I am in Iowa, and get it - actually it is very strong here. It does look like the dish is pointed to the ground - my elevation for it is around 10 or 11 degress (sorry, can't remember) :)

I checked on Lyngsat to see what they have posted for EIRP contours and I see that you would be near the 48 dbw contour. That would explain your higher signal levels. I'm sitting at the edge, at 35 dbw more or less. I realize those are likely theoreticals, but I'm hoping that real-world is a bit different.

N

I"m in southern NB, Hispasat is pretty easy to hit from here, I can get down to Telstar 12 and probably a bit further east but the dish hits the side of my house at that elevation. Equipment is in my signature.

Well, that sounds encouraging ... I guess I'll have to give it another go then. I had originally expected it to be quite easy to grab. I'm not far from you.... just over by Halifax, so it should be do-able. What size dish are you using... is it that 90cm one listed in your sig ?

Okay, thanks ... I'll try using that particular transponder. I'll be a little more persistent next time ... the mosquitos were getting to me !

cheers,
Newt

Status
Please reply by conversation.