hispasat from montreal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wmtl

Original poster
Mar 17, 2008
i've seen on this forum ppl from toronto, chicago, minnesota have caught this bird with a 90cm dish.
i got one of these dishes and a standard linear lnb (FTA-S1). tried all weekend long and nothing but disappointment.
i read on another forum that a 6' dish is needed.
so, what's my chance? can i make it with my 90cm dish?

Have you been skewing your lnb for your location ? From Winnipeg, it's about 38 degrees counterclockwise ( looking from behind the dish ) . This is a MUST to optimize reception.
[edit] And make sure you are tuning a North American beam, like 12132 H 27500 . I've had no problem picking up 45W with a 31" dish, but my LOS doesn't work for 30 W .
:)

Brent

yes, i tried skewing from 30 and up and no luck. however, i didnt tune the receiver to a NA beam thus.
i'll try the 12132. i cannot specify polarity and symbol, just frequency.

what box are you working with?
You should be able to manually enter the transponder info. I just aimed my 37x27 StarChoice at Hispasat (with its 9 elevation) and used the following transponder

11884 (freq)
V
27500 (symbol rate)

Thats Cubavision and is pretty strong. Once I have that tuned in, then I switch to the others to verify signal. Check out thelist for active transponders

I'm glad you posted your question in the open forum , much better because you'll get more help and others with the same questions can can learn from the discussion.

Before reading this thread I did leave you a PM which hopefully helps you a little.

I hope you have a small TV next to your dish while you make adjustments , I'd have a hell of a time looking for a satellite if I didn't use a small TV.

thanks for the pm jayelem.
i'm using a cnx trio. i'll go thru the menu and dig how i can manually enter a tp.
then i'll give it a shot with 12172, 12132, and 12884.
really i just care about the 12884 cubavision tp.
i'll keep you all posted.

i gave it a try today with 12132, 12172, and 12884 transponders and no luck.
i forgot about 30 w and i tried getting either 58 w or 61 w. nothing.
now, i wonder if the lnb could be defective. is there a way to check for this?

i did. i set it up this way

from outside:
-straigh cable to receiver
-elevation range from none to 30
-azimuth: from true north to true south
-lnb skew: 0 to 45 cw looking towards dish

at stb:
satellite: hispasat 30 w
lnb type: 10750
tp freq: 12132 (then 12172, and 12844)
22khz: off
multi switch: none

IF you are in front of the dish facing it, LNB skew needs to be CLOCKWISE

see my pics below how the LNB is... (I'm using a StarChoice dish but thats a moot point. See the LNB skew)

Attachments

• 000_0153.jpg
    000_0153.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 258
  • 000_0138.jpg
    000_0138.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
If I understand you correctly , you were trying to get Cubavision from Intelsat 9 @ 58.0 west using a Standard Linear LNB.

That will not work .

My 1st experience with Hispasat happened after motorizing my dish , much later I setup a 2nd stationary dish just for Hispasat .

I have not been so lucky as to just pointing my dish and locking a signal in less than a minute , I know there are some members here who have done it that quick.

Like I pointed out before a TV monitor next to your dish will help you calibrate the dish , I will also add that I did use a cheap chirping analog dish meter and that it helped me when I was frustrated and losing hope.

I also know where I goofed up while pointing my dish my first time , I ignored the elevation scale and pointed my dish much higher because I didn't grasp the idea of the signal coming in at a lower angle due to the dish being offset.

Because Hispasat is at low easternly position and LOS (Line of sight) is sometimes compromised at xtremes, I suggest you try your true south satellite first.

Your True south Satellite is SBS 6 (now called Horizons 2)@ 74.0 west.
using a compass point your dish at 195.7
Dish Elevation is 37.6
Your dish skew will be at 0.04 (almost error proof if left at 0)
Try getting Ohio News Network
Frequency 11734
Polarity H
SR 6616

Once you get one satellite you will get a boost of confidence and see that your equipment is working properly.

Should you decide to keep trying for Hispasat @ 30.0 west.
Cubavision MUX
11884 V 27500

get your dish pointed in the correct direction , if you distrust your elevation scale and or direction of dish you do have some room to play with the dish just make sure you make all movements in small increments and wait several seconds between each adjustment while looking at the quality meter on your monitor .

If you're frustrated and swinging your dish UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT , I will tell you that your chances of locking a signal will be difficult , so keep your adjustments small , If your close to your target I bet you wont be off by more than 6 inches in any direction.

Most importantly be patient.

When I set up my second dish my Brother got impatient and went in the house , 30 minutes probably passed before he came back and asked how I was doing , by then I had locked on the signal and was just fine tuning .......
He was very surprised that I had found Hispasat ..... you have no Idea how patient I was and to that I owe my success.
Of Course when it's cold outside and the weather isn't cooperating my FTA skills are not the same .......
For one thing I look real funny squeezing out the window head first :D onto the back porch roof.

If I understand you correctly , you were trying to get Cubavision from Intelsat 9 @ 58.0 west using a Standard Linear LNB.

That will not work .
I think he is trying to get Hispasat and not PAS9

My 1st experience with Hispasat happened after motorizing my dish , much later I setup a 2nd stationary dish just for Hispasat .
I did the same thing....still have some tweaking to do :)

Like I pointed out before a TV monitor next to your dish will help you calibrate the dish , I will also add that I did use a cheap chirping analog dish meter and that it helped me when I was frustrated and losing hope.
:up:up
I also know where I goofed up while pointing my dish my first time , I ignored the elevation scale and pointed my dish much higher because I didn't grasp the idea of the signal coming in at a lower angle due to the dish being offset.
I have a feeling the dish elevation is off. Fortec dishes have been known to be off up to 5 degrees

Most importantly be patient.

best part of the post. Patience in this game is needed :)

thank you Iceberg and jayelem for the very good pointers. if i dont get it with all your advice i'll retire from the hobby.
thanks Iceberg for the pix. thats the way my lnb is skewed.
jayelem: i've been trying to get hispa. i know cubavision is in 58w as well, but for this i'll need a universal type lnb.
i'm lucky i can see the tv from the window. i'm also using a sat finder meter, but i only use it once i find the sat so i can fine tune it.
yes, i'm using one of those fortec type dish, so i'll be keeping on mind the elevation issue. i've tried even at its dead end.
i'll tell you what. i'll try the true south sat and see if my hardware is good.
i'll keep you posted

don't let it get to you. I have a feeling its the elevation. I had the same issues when aiming at Hispasat. I swung the dish across the arc and couldnt get anything. Then I figured due to the lower elevation for me maybe it took a little longer to register a signal.

When you find the transponder, it's well worth it :)

When using the North American beams on Hispasat, you will also need to match the polarity and the symbol rate with the transponder frequency. 90cm dish should be sufficient for your area.

If you suspect the LNBF is bad, try to align the dish at another satellite like G25 and check if you are able to get the signal/quality or not. If you are successful, you will know your LNBF is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)