History Gone?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not sure why Netflix is "pathetic", good source for older stuff... looks good via the original Roku and great via my TV netflix app. Hulu (free) has 4-5 of the latest shows from content providers that they have agreements with. Amazon is limited, compared with Netflix. There is also VUDU (via pay per view), which has higher resolution (HD-like) than Netflix and Amazon.

There's more than just Windows MCE and MythTv, for example:
MediaPortal, MPC-HC, (see Home Theater Computers - AVS Forum for more info/guides),
NextPVR | A free PVR and Media Centre application for Windows and
there was SageTv (purchased by Google, but seems to be going nowhere).

As for Windows MCE and DVB-S/S2, you can get the DVBLogic addons.

Netflix has lots of movies but they are sadly lacking on TV shows. Besides, that ship is sinking anyway.
Hulu has just a few episodes of shows. And you can't pay to get commercial free stuff. Even if you subscribe to the premium you get commercials. :(

Amazon has a pretty good collection of TV shows and they have current HD shows but dang they are expensive. $3 a pop for "HD" episodes of American Pickers. :(
But it's commercial free. They have a good collection of old TV shows. Last week I was watching Hawaii 5.0 and I missed the last 2 minutes of a show I was into.
I jumped to Amazon (I have Prime) and I watched the end of that show, no charge. It was commercial free and I could skip to any place forward or back instantly as I pleased.
So it's OK in some respects.

ALL of them have short-comings. That's why I want to shop for a Blue Ray player that has access to all those services and hopefully others as well.
That way if one doesn't have what I want I can jump over to the other and find it. I don't mind paying $8 a month for NF and Hulu. $16 a month is within my budget.
Amazon is paid for except if I want to catch a NEW episode of something then I'll shell out a little extra but that's fine with me.

I think I can find a player that covers all the sins, or at least I hope I can. It's just going to take some homework and a lot of reading to be sure of what I'm getting into.

A lot of the apps for a PC, I've tried pretty much all of them or looked deeply into most all of them and there really aren't any that will allow me to use my fairly kooky and complex dish & switch setup.
I've got an 8x1 switch, a 22k switch, a G-box and a USALS motor and a few other switches and dual output LNB's.. None of them let me get that complex. They all limit support to a 4x1 switch.
A few tuner apps I found that allow an 8x1, those apps are "deadware" and are no longer supported. The app I'm using now, Mytheater, has it's limitations but it works well with my kooky switch setup and many dishes.
It's pretty much "abandonware" and before long it should be reclassified as "deadware" because it's not supported or updated anymore and on the site for it, people posted questions a year or two ago that are still unanswered. The forum is dead.
I guess the author had to get a real job..

Anyway.. I've been through all this PC app BS before, many times. I'm quite tired of the PC and am hoping to get a tuner box that can replace the PC. I can assure you of one thing, it sure ain't gonna be an Openbox! :tsk: Got one now, NOT happy with it, at all..

I'm still hoping to get an Azbox but I'm waiting to see if they fix the ATSC problems.

I really want to get away from PC's.. They give me a lot of grief... :(

Last edited:
Dee, look into the Sony Blu-Ray players. Especially the higher-end ones, such as the BDP-480, BDP-580 and above. These have what is known as DLNA, which allows them to playback all sorts of connected and networked media. These players are also 3D enabled, and have a multitude of online apps.

I remember you mentioned in an earlier post that you were unsure of the "ultraviolet" thing. What that is, basically, is a method of streaming movies you buy on Blu-Ray to various mobile devices. It does not affect your ability to play the actual Blu-Ray disc, which you own forever. Ultraviolet Digital Copy is a disc that is included in addition to your Blu-Ray disc that allows streaming from Flixter.

This outta be interesting tonight on "Only in America"

Larry travels to Alaska where he attempts to bust moose poachers, uncovers Alaskan greatness, and then drops in unannounced on Wasilla's most famous citizen and her family.

Sarah....give me one "Git-R-Done" :D

lets keep the political comments and the comments in "poor taste" out of the thread. Thats not why I posted it.
I made the comment about what the Season Premiere is about...and the line below that is what Larry says in the promo on TV.

Do you seriously think Larry can "drop in unannounced" there with a camera crew? Yeah right.....Hopefully this season is actually good and not just some joke....sadly some of my other favorite shows seem to be getting more "over the top" as they go on with each season.

oh my god....At least Larry made me laugh.

He's talking about Alaska then throws this gem out
"Its so cold here I once saw a dog lick himself and get his tongue stuck" :ekk:

Dee, look into the Sony Blu-Ray players. Especially the higher-end ones, such as the BDP-480, BDP-580 and above. These have what is known as DLNA, which allows them to playback all sorts of connected and networked media. These players are also 3D enabled, and have a multitude of online apps.

I remember you mentioned in an earlier post that you were unsure of the "ultraviolet" thing. What that is, basically, is a method of streaming movies you buy on Blu-Ray to various mobile devices. It does not affect your ability to play the actual Blu-Ray disc, which you own forever. Ultraviolet Digital Copy is a disc that is included in addition to your Blu-Ray disc that allows streaming from Flixter.

Sony Blu-Ray players are GARBAGE when it comes to streaming. The BDP-570 is the last Sony product I will ever buy. I love my Netflix and it's close to useless with Sony. It's not my ISP and it's not Netflix....after doing some research it turns out that Sony redirects all activity through their servers. Sony's servers bottleneck during peak times and you're left with a movie that buffers every 5 seconds.
Of course any service that is owned by Sony works great! Heck, I can watch Sony's 3D Experience without buffering yet go back to Netflix and it's unwatchable.
During peak times I have to use other devices for Netflix. Endless complaints on their support forum go unanswered.

Only thing that's kept it out of the trash can is that it does play 3D Blu-Rays nicely.

My Sony TV directly plays Netflix well. I have Netflix as a menu item on the TV. This area is probably much less busy than where you are. Only once I had buffering problem several months ago. I think on that movie the Netflix startup skipped over the link speed check. It seems important that the check is done correctly.

kinda to bring this thread back (since it does relate to History Channel)

I dont know if folks have seen the new season of "Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy" but it seems like this season likes to push the envelope on gross (to me at least)
Last year it was the "weird things about America" like ice fishing and the worlds largest truck stop or the demo derby
This season all 3 episodes have had warnings at the beginning.
1st episode had things like how to gut a moose and stuff like that. Literally they gut a moose
Last week was how to neuter a Tiger in all its graphic glory and they show the vet doing it :eek:

Thank god for a DVR so I can just skip that :)

kinda to bring this thread back (since it does relate to History Channel)

I dont know if folks have seen the new season of "Only in America with Larry the Cable Guy" but it seems like this season likes to push the envelope on gross (to me at least)
Last year it was the "weird things about America" like ice fishing and the worlds largest truck stop or the demo derby
This season all 3 episodes have had warnings at the beginning.
1st episode had things like how to gut a moose and stuff like that. Literally they gut a moose
Last week was how to neuter a Tiger in all its graphic glory and they show the vet doing it :eek:

Thank god for a DVR so I can just skip that :)

Wow...... They have crossed over to the dark side. :(

I take BIG objection to the harming of sentient creatures.
ESPECIALLY when it's done for entertainment purposes! :mad:

Seriously, I hate mice, they are vermin. But to kill an animal and do it on film to "entertain" people is despicable.
A moose? I sure hope that someone was ~starving to death~ and had no other option but to eat the moose or die.
If one is literally starving and has no other choice but to kill for food, that is justifiable but only as long as it's done in a humane way.
And MAYBE the tiger had a legitimate medical need to have that procedure done but why must it be presented on TV to "entertain" people?

And people that find that sort of thing entertaining, are not right in the head.

To kill, simply because it makes one feel good to kill, is extremely wrong. The taking of a life for pleasure, there is no justification for that.

I'm glad I'm missing the new season. At one point I had actually started to like the show and the guy. But now they are crossing the line to the dark side.
I don't want to see "gross" and I certainly will not watch shows where they kill or harm animals.

The History channel wasn't that big of a loss for me. I do miss American Restoration, American Pickers and Pawn Stars though.

This world is morally bankrupt..

The Moose was killed by Poachers and left. The game rangers were gutting it to take to a local food shelter. I picked an inopportune time to check it out and caught the butchering of the moose.

American Pickers and American Restoration have had some of their best episodes lately. You will have to buy another episode if you like Danni going out pickin as she is going out again in tonights episode, so Frank can go to his high school reunion.

The channel used to have many more programs that actually dealt with HISTORY. Like WWII, WWI, settling of the west, the gold rushes, building the AlCan highway, dinosaurs, inventions and eras, ancient cities and cultures, the Romans, etc. You pretty much have to get up early in the morning to grab that stuff off this channel anymore (history in the classroom).

I have been watching much more PBS for quite a long time now, just because they offer actual history programs and such. Educational programs.

RADAR

The Moose was killed by Poachers and left. The game rangers were gutting it to take to a local food shelter. I picked an inopportune time to check it out and caught the butchering of the moose.

exactly. Its not like they killed it on air ;)

American Pickers and American Restoration have had some of their best episodes lately. You will have to buy another episode if you like Danni going out pickin as she is going out again in tonights episode, so Frank can go to his high school reunion.

Yes I agree very good episodes. Getting better and better.

Oh and BTW I am back with Dish with the Welcome Pack to feed my History Channel addiction;) Was going to fire back up one of my old 311's but I got a great deal on a 625 so had to go with it. Probably will pick up a 211 soon though so I can HD and no DVR fee.

Lately, I watch only American Pickers and American Restoration. When the guys from AR moved from their small place to the new building I was wondering if the black mesh BUD on one of the buildings always in view was going with them. They moved everything else from their "boneyard".

First thing I noticed was that they took the bud with them and it is up. Now I wonder if it is just for looks, since they work on old things, and a lot of the population see the buds as old antiquated items.

First thing I noticed was that they took the bud with them and it is up. Now I wonder if it is just for looks, since they work on old things, and a lot of the population see the buds as old antiquated items.
I saw that too. It sure is up! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)