Hitachi HDTV vs. Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony P

Original poster
Nov 2, 2004
Can anyone help me with a purchase decision here?

I've just discovered this site by accident while researching the new Sony technology and have a general question about sony vs hitachi....

I recently purchased a hitachi 50" lcd/projection tv.... the first one shipped had a burnt pixel, the second one shipped has a dark spot on it in light colours( I think it may be a delamination of the non reflective shielding on the screen or possibly dust on the lens).... anyhow, I've decided to return it for a sony wega 50' lcd/projection..... but I'm having doubts now about what to do....

The hitachi has great colour and has an option that allows me to switch to 4:3 expanded (which the sony doesn't have and which is the aspect ratio I really like to be honest).... but it's broken down twice and the image is not very sharp.... when I see a face in the background it becomes heavily pixelated.... I purchased the component cables as well and the pixels in the background have not improved....

I'm not sure if the Sony would be better in terms of the problem above.... does anyone know? and does anyone know if the sony would allow me to manually adjust the vertical and horizontal position of the aspect sort of like a regular monitor?

Thanks and any help would be appreciated :)

Tony

Tony P said:
... it's broken down twice and the image is not very sharp.... when I see a face in the background it becomes heavily pixelated.... I purchased the component cables as well and the pixels in the background have not improved....

I'm not sure if the Sony would be better in terms of the problem above.... does anyone know? and does anyone know if the sony would allow me to manually adjust the vertical and horizontal position of the aspect sort of like a regular monitor?
Welcome to the Forum, Tony!
I have Sony GWIII (LCD RPTV), and overall I am very happy with it. Didn't have any problems with it. I do have a couple of stuck pixels which are only visible within a few inches from the screen. I cannot see them from my normal viewing distance. The pixelation artifacts that you are referring to might be caused by the source and video compression, not necessarily by the TV set itself. As for video adjustment, Sony doesn't allow any geometry changes to HD signal: you can only change SD image (not a problem for me, as I don't like stretching or cropping the picture and really don't mind sidebars). However, some changes (e.g. overscan adjustment) can be done through the Service Menu.

Thanks for the response Ilya, so in your opinion the quality of the picture for the sony is better than Hitachi.... regarding the source and video compression causing the pixelation, do you mean that I need different cables for my cable box? I like the Hitachi for the colours and the features, but I popped in a DVD and I could notice some light graining of the image, like there was snow in the background.... I found that weird, since I used component cables (I think that's what they're called, the blue, green and red one)....

Sorry, I know I'm off topic in this thread altogether :shocked

Once again, thanks for the help Ilya :)

When I was shopping for an HDTV set a year ago, GWIII beat all competitors in the same price range, IMHO. Though, things might have changed since then. I would look for recent product reviews and search various Internet forums.

Is this an HDTV set? Keep in mind that DVD does not give you HD resolution. Also, not all DVDs have excellent transfer. Take the same DVD to different video stores and play it on different TV sets. Neither one will be perfect, but see which one you like most.

Good luck!

Thanks my friend, and yeah the tv is HDTV.... I'm going to try upgrading the cables for my cable box....

KDS70XBR100 sony vs. 70vx915 hitachi....

Hello everyone,

Please help: I'm almost ready to purchase the new 70" Director Series Hitachi vx915 model, highest native resolution 720p. Saw it, really liked it. Seems that Hitachi has done a great job with that tv. Side by side with their smaller plasma, it can hold its own. I know it was also on display at the Celia show. However, I heard about the new sony, at 1080p native res. I've never seen anything displayed at 1080p - is it considerably better than 720p or are the differences fairly minor to justify a $2000+ price difference? (sony is more expensive). Also, how much better is the sxrd technology than a good lcd? Is the technology going to rapidly abandon the lcd in favor of lcos? I only get one shot at this, better do it right...
Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)