Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got the DVD last night. Pretty humorous, just like it was articulated in the book.

I played the text based adventure game when I was younger. Of course it kicked my butt too!

I saw it when it hit theaters, it was good. Make me want to read the "trilolgy" :lol: I would recommend it to anyone into goofy sci-fi movies.

Havent seen this movie, had seen the cbc tv show and have read the full set of books 3 times. Im picking up the movie tomorrow, I just hope that they did it justice, have been looking for the radio show on cd as well.

I heard the original radio production on its first run in the US. None of the later adaptations, books, tv, movies, etc. was quite as good, though they are all good.

dfergie said:
not really that good... they are in a case in a drawer in the bed room... so probably some flaking... need some way to archive that stuff to Pc...

I would have to guess that you could transfer them over to your current computer and get an emulater off the web, you can also find surplus dealers on the web to that carry the older gear such as a 5 1/4 drive and cables and most likely blank and useable disks. Theres a few periodicals you can check out at your local borders books, one is blacklisted 411 and the other is 2600mhz. Before anyone jumps up and labels these as hacker mags it needs to be made clear that there are two distinctly diferent definitions of hacker floating around.

The original meaning behind hacker was someone who learns how something works by taking it apart and putting it back together ( just like a 10 yr old kid does ) while the media's version is a person that steals and does damage to your identity and computer systems.

Anyways you can find a section in there to order back issues and in one from blacklisted 411 in july there is an article on surplus electronics that list's several sources the author uses for parts including alot of comp parts from the early 80's.

Mrs. LER tells me she bought the DVD yesterday, so when we get back in the same residence we'll watch it.

LER

I'm a huge Douglas Adams/Hitchhiker's Guide fan (note my avatar), have been since stumbling across the T.V. version back in the early 80s when it aired on PBS. That made me read the books. Later, in college, I got a chance to listen to the original incarnation, the BBC radio program (roommate had it on tape)...that's the best version by far, IMHO. Impeccable writing, dead-on comic timing and nice audio/effects production values.

The film. Nicely done. Big problems--1) it felt 'rushed' story-wise, and understandably so. In all the other versions, it was episodic and moments/scenarios could be set up to great effect, and 2) because of this, it comes off a bit muddled, with an 'everything but the kitchen sink' feel, and 3) it nonetheless ends quite abruptly and all the story/character arcs are woefully incomplete. This makes me wish that it does well enough in video release that they are able to continue the tale...it needs it. In short, I liked the film, but can see why folks unfamiliar with the Hitchhiker story would come out confused. This could be remedied with further elaboration via sequels to fill in the character and story questions raised in this, by design, introductory chapter of a comedy/sci-fi epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)