Hmm..got all excited then...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bimmerguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Lexington, KY
Ok i got all excited after finally networking my HR22 HD DVR with my home network via powerline adapter. Download went smoothly, so I figured, cool I want to see how the 1080p looks.

Downloaded G.I. Joe and pressed play. Screen only fills about 70 percent of the screen on my Panny 1080p plasma. The picture looks amazing, however the screen isn't completed filled like normal HD channels.

I did some research and playing around with the receiver, and it said my tv didn't support DIrectv's 1080p format. Now, I know my tv supports full 1080p because I have a sony blu-ray player which looks spectacular.

I have also researched and apparantly there are two versions of 1080p. One has 24frames and the other has 60 frames. I guess my HDTV will only support 60 frames? I have read on other sites that people get the "blue screen of death". I never saw one and the video actually plays, just doesn't fill the whole screen. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

So i'm watching the movie in 1080i, which still looks incredible, but wanted to see the full potential. Any advice, situations you have encountered, I would love to hear.

THanks all!

Hmmm, sounds like aspect ratio issues. Not all HD movies are a full 16x9 aspect ratio and will have letter-boxing of varying sizes, so this is NORMAL. OAR (original aspect ratio) is ALWAYS preferred by true home theater buffs. Resist the temptations to zoom, etc. Likewise programming that is native 4x3 will show pillar-boxing. Here is a decent read:

16:9 (wide-screen) TVs - CNET's quick guide to aspect ratio - HDTV World - CNET.com

Can you post a sample image; is yours like this?

Attachments

• 235x1.jpg
    235x1.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
That CNEt article doesn't explain how the difference between 1090p/24fps and 1080p/60fps affects TVs. I believe the new 120hz or 240hz TVs can handle both formats.

Confirm you are using HDMI and not component video outputs?

Yes, HDMI all the way. I have been on google researching and apparently this is a very common issue. Alot of people have been reporting the same issue. D* broadcasting 1080p on demand at 1080p @24 frames. Many tv's do not have the capability to show it only 1080p 60 frames. I guess my tv is one of those.

Gonna experiment a little bit more to see what happens.

Hmmm, sounds like aspect ratio issues. Not all HD movies are a full 16x9 aspect ratio and will have letter-boxing of varying sizes, so this is NORMAL. OAR (original aspect ratio) is ALWAYS preferred by true home theater buffs. Resist the temptations to zoom, etc. Likewise programming that is native 4x3 will show pillar-boxing. Here is a decent read:

16:9 (wide-screen) TVs - CNET's quick guide to aspect ratio - HDTV World - CNET.com

Can you post a sample image; is yours like this?

My picture didn't look like that. Imagine the PIP option but much larger, but only filled 60-70% of the screen. Anyway, i watched the movie in 1080i and it was incredible. I watched an HD movie on some of the movie channels and broadcast and this was WAY better. It may not be full 1080p in my current situation, but dang I was impressed anyways. :)

I can't even get my DVR to download a 1080p movie.

I have a 1080p plamsa TV connected via HDMI. I did the DIRECTV 1080p test and it works fine.

When I try to download a 1080p movie it just sits there in the queue at 0% for hours and hours till I finally cancel it.

I can download SD programs and HD programs just fine.

My internet is 6 Mbps, so it's plenty fast enough.

I've reset the DVR many times and it never helps.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)