Anyone excited about the microHD?

I'm reasonably excited. A new toy is always a good thing, and I figure that the microHD will be an improvement on my Solomend 800 ( pretty sluggish response to remote), so I'll have it running the Ku motorized dish. It'll be interesting to compare the 3 tuners on the same signal, at the same time ( Manhattan, Solomend and MicroHD) . My Profs 7500 does a better job than the stb's on a weak signal, so that'll be in the comparison mix, too.
:)

And if I remember right we tore apart the receiver even before they were available especially on the blind scan capability?

3 reasons why I am excited for it....and by the way I do have one ;)
1. it works out of the box like its suppose to
2. support is done here in the US and not across the ocean in Japan or Korea or China where their means for FTA are dramatically different
3. I've worked with enough Geosat products I'm sure Brian isn't going to put a pile out just to make some money like other companies do (what model is Openbox on now...model 667?). Brian listens to folks who have a product and makes changes as need be. Heck on the Geosat 200 we posted a list of upgrades needed on transponders and within a week there was an update.

I guess I'd rather spend the money for a product I know is going to be good from the get-go and if there is an issue Brian will get that fixed than spend a little less and be disappointed (or worse be a beta tester).

Yes, those are certainly good reasons. I'm still waiting for firmware updates to fix problems with the Openbox, Optibox and Skybox receivers. I just might need to order one of these MicroHD receivers myself.

It'll be interesting to compare the 3 tuners on the same signal, at the same time ( Manhattan, Solomend and MicroHD) . My Profs 7500 does a better job than the stb's on a weak signal, so that'll be in the comparison mix, too.
In my limited tests (very limited I should add) the tuner on the microHD has performed better then the Manhattan. The NBC-S2 signals on 105 my Manhattan could pick up but I would have a lot of breakup. Unplugging the cable from the Manhattan to and putting it in the microHD I get the same channels but am having no breakup on those channels.

I agree Scott
I can get one of the NBC KU muxes (11760) on 103W even with the skew being wrong (motorized dish)

MicroHD found it on a blind scan and plays it fine
Manhattan wont find it on a BS and stutters when manually entered

Yes, those are certainly good reasons. I'm still waiting for firmware updates to fix problems with the Openbox, Optibox and Skybox receivers. I just might need to order one of these MicroHD receivers myself.

and going back to the Sathawk that's the issue we had. Brian sums it up best on his site when you click on the MicroHD item

Tired of waiting for firmware releases to fix the original problems that your receiver was sold with, then it creates even more problems?

I sent Brian a PM last night with 4 "issues" that I ran into....nothing huge. Just a couple annoyances I found. He responded back a half hour later with notes.
-The first item he agreed with me
-second item he didnt even think about and will get it fixed
-third item is already being fixed
-fourth item was a FYI...the transponder list was kinda outdated. The satellite list is current but TP list was outdated and I am sending him a newer list. As I noted "as long as we have 1 24/7 TP in there the end user can blind scan the rest) :)

Whenever I tried out a new receiver I always did the same thing. I moved the motor to 93W (my true south), reset the motor and hooked up the new receiver to try. As I mentioned to Brian last night "Honestly this is the first receiver I have worked with in a long time (a good 2-3 years) that after a half hour I didnt hook the Coolsat 5000 back up to the setup. "
There is a reason my Coolsat 5000 had been set up on my "main setup" since I got it in late 05. The other receivers I tried had so many issues mainly with the motor. Right now the 5000 is sitting on the kitchen table ;)

I agree Scott
I can get one of the NBC KU muxes (11760) on 103W even with the skew being wrong (motorized dish)

MicroHD found it on a blind scan and plays it fine
Manhattan wont find it on a BS and stutters when manually entered
Must be dish size related, obviously, as well, since I get both NBC muxes on my motorized 1.0M, on both the Solomend 800 and Manhattan . Last week I had to change my skew though, for a baseball game that I couldn't lock at all without a skew change. Once "re-skewed" , only my Profs 7500 combined with Tsreader/Vlc could give me a clear, non-problematic picture. :) It wouldn't break my heart at all, if the MicroHD would do the same thing for me. For just watching TV, I'd rather not have to "crank up" the PCI solution.

The specs for the microHD have been out for how long now? The fact that it does not have a component video output should not be a surprise to anyone at this point in the game. :)

I agree the specs have been posted and maybe I should have paid more attention but it's been hard for me to follow all the posts and threads that have been about the receiver so the ideal of combining all the items into one area was mentioned and I even read it, but you miss a day and it can be nearly impossible to find what your looking for again so I'm posting here.
So if we're taking vote's then I vote for giving the MicroHD it's own area as there's a lot about this receiver that is being posted.

I can't believe how SMALL it is. A lot more micro then I thought.

Dollar-vs-microHD.jpg

:D microHD = 300 Grams :D 1 Dollar weighs 1 Gram :D microHD = $300 :confused: LOL!!!

Last edited:
Heck I've not got mine yet, but having dreams about it....maybe I need to go to FTA Anonymous.:eek:

1st step they say is to admit you have a problem, but I don't have a problem. I can stop anytime I want to, I just don't want to.;)

and going back to the Sathawk that's the issue we had. Brian sums it up best on his site when you click on the MicroHD item

Tired of waiting for firmware releases to fix the original problems that your receiver was sold with, then it creates even more problems?

I sent Brian a PM last night with 4 "issues" that I ran into....nothing huge. Just a couple annoyances I found. He responded back a half hour later with notes.
-The first item he agreed with me
-second item he didnt even think about and will get it fixed
-third item is already being fixed
-fourth item was a FYI...the transponder list was kinda outdated. The satellite list is current but TP list was outdated and I am sending him a newer list. As I noted "as long as we have 1 24/7 TP in there the end user can blind scan the rest) :)

Whenever I tried out a new receiver I always did the same thing. I moved the motor to 93W (my true south), reset the motor and hooked up the new receiver to try. As I mentioned to Brian last night "Honestly this is the first receiver I have worked with in a long time (a good 2-3 years) that after a half hour I didnt hook the Coolsat 5000 back up to the setup. "
There is a reason my Coolsat 5000 had been set up on my "main setup" since I got it in late 05. The other receivers I tried had so many issues mainly with the motor. Right now the 5000 is sitting on the kitchen table ;)

Sadly, my Openbox S9 receiver is hooked back up after testing the Optibox Anaconda receiver due to its blind scan problems. So I can definitely relate.

OMG! I just stumbled upon something else it can do

Now I know you can record two programs on the same transponder but I just tested and found out you can set two timers the same way....EVEN IF THE SAME TIME
I know the Manhattan wont let you set 2 overlapping timers even if same transponder. The MicroHD can.

I just recorded the two feed channels on 91W (yeah I know sexy) but now I'm gonna try Russia Today and Al Jazeera English...gonna try something else ;)
stay tuned

edit: just tried to set 3 overlapping timers....gives an "error. please change" message

So right now I have 3 timers set
PBJ from 12:00-12:05
Tuff from 12:03-12:08
RTV from 12:05-12:10

want to see how much of each timer it records (if its the full 5 minutes or a smidge less).

Last edited:
Two questions.

1. Will the Microhd ship today?

2. Will we get a tracking number to track package?

Yes, I am getting alittle anxious!!!!! I am usually one of those guys that, if I want it tommorrow
I would order it tommorrow. Like dangling candy in front of a baby.

AL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)