Hoak Media stations off Dish amid dispute

My locals are owned by Hoak too. My local news channel decided not to even warn us about this; they had stories daily for over a week when they were having contract disputes with the local cable company. I went to check my nightly news recording to realize that there's a dispute going on.

I've lost ABC, NBC, CBS, and I'm sure a couple of others too. I might have to buy an antenna soon...

Apparently Hoak is demanding a 200% price increase.

I like this tidbit on KNOP2 (North PLatte) station on a press release (they run low powered Fox K11 too)

and the top rated FOX Prime programs like American Idol, NASCAR and Glee
ummmm....Nascar is done for the year on Fox and the other 2 are done for the season. I guess KNOP thinks the dispute will last til next January ;)

Dish did not drop Hoak Media, Hoak Media dropped Dish. HOAK is asking for 200% more $ and mandating that Dish customers watch commercials. We lost our NBC and FOX affiliate because of this. It's stupid and immature! Not everyone has a Hopper, not everyone can auto-hop. We can't even get PTAT because our locals are not in HD yet, however, we have to suffer the immature actions of money hungry affiliates that are and have been double dipping Dish/cable/satellite and the advertiser for years!

My local is on the list but since I have other sources for NBC I wont even miss my local.

I commented to my local about their story on this dispute and told them they need to settle with DISH.

Last edited:
Not happy about this, but I've got an antenna to pick any new shows that may come on our ABC and CBS affiliates during the summer. Just scanned my list of timers, and we're not recording ANY new shows off of those networks right now.

and the whole state of North Dakota loses NBC (Hoak owns ALL the NBC affiliates in ND) and Fargo loses CBS KX4 too

Well, I'm in Grand Junction, Colorado and sure enough, when we went to look at local news tonight, the CBS and FOX locals are off the air. There's a note on the channel that there is a dispute and to go to a website to check it out.

There was no advance notice, just they disappeared.

Last edited:
The crappy part of the situation is that I can receive the affiliate OTA but my guide data for that channel just shows important news. This means I can view the channel but all my timers will not work correctly. This is absurd, I am about to cut the cord and spend my money elsewhere.

Hopefully most will understand that this is not Dish's fault. Unfortunately I think that this is a sign of more to come. With all the talk of cord cutting I wonder if that will soon have an impact on how the affiliates negotiate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)