SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Hollywood Reporter Predicts 2008 Win for Blu-ray

Posted December 21, 2007 by Josh

bd.gif
As this year comes to a close, Hollywood Reporter is making a few predictions about what they expect to see from Hollywood next year. With regards to the format war in 2008, they predict, "Blu-ray blows away HD DVD". Citing the strength of sales as the major reasons for it eventual success, they also suggested that the PlayStation 3 is a major driving force for the format.

More notable about the article is that current Blockbuster trends show Blu-ray being favored 70% to the rival format at stores featuring both products. With those statistics, Blockbuster is sure to maintain their current company policy to support Blu-ray.

Link: Blu-ray.com - Hollywood Reporter Predicts 2008 Win for Blu-ray

We now have Hollywood on our side :D

And so does Blu Shill Bill
I'm telling you... free HD-DVD players in cereal boxes. The day is coming.

Fingers crossed, this format war is going END in 2008, folks. And not a moment too soon as far as we're concerned

Diogen.

And so does Blu Shill Bill

Diogen.

A format ain't worth **** without the big hit movies, blu-ray has the big hit movies, and like I've been telling you, Transformers was the only positive thing that went towards HD-DVD in a long long time...or should I say a losing streak?

If they are citing the PS3 as a major reason, that is wrong. Not sure why they make that statement when the PS3 is not bought for movies, but games.

I have seen prices of the Blu Ray coming down recently, and that should make a difference in sales.

Sony does want to end this soon, because the Chinese are about to come in with their cheap HD DVD players, and that is going to have an impact.

A format ain't worth **** without the big hit movies, blu-ray has the big hit movies, and like I've been telling you, Transformers was the only positive thing that went towards HD-DVD in a long long time...or should I say a losing streak?
I didn't quite get it. Are you saying you won... again?

Even Joe stopped parroting that line...

Diogen.

I didn't quite get it. Are you saying you won... again?

Even Joe stopped parroting that line...

Diogen.

Lets face it, will HD-DVD seriously have enough gas left in the tank by the end of 2008?

Lets face it, will HD-DVD seriously have enough gas left in the tank by the end of 2008?
Let's do it: I don't know.
If Warner stays neutral, hell will freeze over before Blu wins. Can we agree on that?
Now, why is it that Warner will go BD exclusive? Can happen, but I don't see the reasons...

Diogen.

VHS -> DVD
DVD -> BD

It wasn't two formats of DVD that brought those prices down. Divx was irrelevant in the scheme of things.

With only one HD format, the prices will come down on their own. DVD prices dropped because they sold well, not because they are competing with VHS.

If they are citing the PS3 as a major reason, that is wrong. Not sure why they make that statement when the PS3 is not bought for movies, but games.

I have seen prices of the Blu Ray coming down recently, and that should make a difference in sales.

Sony does want to end this soon, because the Chinese are about to come in with their cheap HD DVD players, and that is going to have an impact.

wait, everyone keeps saying that the ps3 is used mostly for bluray playback, people really need to make up their mind which is it?

wait, everyone keeps saying that the ps3 is used mostly for bluray playback, people really need to make up their mind which is it?

PS3 is used for games mostly in some kids bedroom on a SD tv. Proof 8 to 1 install lead but only 2 to 1 lead in software, and now the news that Harry Potter is leading 55 to 45 in head to head sales for HD DVD makes me think they should have predited a victory for HD DVD.

Bourne, Harry Potter HD DVDs outpacing Blu-ray titles - 12/21/2007 - Video Business

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts