How Neutral are you? (Only participate in the Poll if you own both formats!!)

How neutral are you!

• Total voters

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
There has been lots of talk about people being format neutral. How neutral are you really.

Please only participate in the poll if you own both formats.

if you want people to vote you might try actually creating a poll.

You might want to wait until I finish with the post. Don't forget the thread gets created while you generate the Poll.

The thread/poll is very misleading. The amount of discs you buy of either format does not necessarily have anything to do with how "neutral" you are.

The thread/poll is very misleading. The amount of discs you buy of either format does not necessarily have anything to do with how "neutral" you are.

Nope, means what % of what types of movies do you buy.

Kids + Comedy = Blue

Sci-fi , War flicks = Red

:D

In your opinion. Many people have both players but will not buy anything in the format they don't want to see win.

May have a HD player that you use and a PS that isn't even hooked-up to the big TV. Or, may just want to back HD. Or, Dad may have the HD, kids the PS, and Dad is the only one willing to spend the bucks. Or, maybe you just hate Sony, but have an old PS. Probably lots of other reasons, too.

Where did it say poll was for "stand-alone". I may have missed that in which case cancell my vote.

Where did it say poll was for "stand-alone". I may have missed that in which case cancell my vote.

The poll is not for just standalone's. Any device that plays HD-DVD's or Blu-rays is a vailid player IMO. I have the PS3 for Blu-ray only. Don't play any games on it.

I technically own more HD-DVD than BD because my hd-dvd player came with a bunch of free discs and my open box bluray player didn't. I rarely buy anything though because I almost never want to watch a movie more than once.

I've always been a renter, I only own maybe a dozen DVDs but I've had a dvd player going back to 2000.

Maybe a better poll would be:

If a title you want comes out on both formats, which format do you buy? (assuming the price and availablility are the same)

Excellent! Jon Urban. It is what I was thinking. To me, being neutral means I would buy a title with little regard to format prejudice. Not being neutral would mean that if I wanted to buy a title, and it came out in the other format, I would not buy it.

In answer to your sample question- I would buy the title in HD DVD if I saw the extra features were interesting. If the DVD was reported to be flawed in some way such as a large report of stuttering on my player, I would select BluRay. All considering equal price and availability. At the present time, my system offers better features on HD DVD and better trouble free new titles on BluRay. Firmware upgrades may change this but that is how I see it now.

When I rent, I find that I have rented more titles in BluRay only because the present titles available are 2x greater on BluRay than HD DVD.

I buy BD over HD-DVD since the PS3 can load a BD in a short period of time. I buy HD-DVD exclusives that I want. Of course I had 100% HD-DVD before BD came out. Now it is up to 75% BD or so. I still own more HD-DVD than BD, but BD is catching up fast (probably 70-80 HD-DVD vs 50-60 BD)

I got both!

Im slightly leaning towards Blue Ray, but I could seriously care less. Im going to buy the movie I want in the format its available in!

The fact that either format could be the wrong format will not stop me from buying a DVD.

I have both formats and agree 100% with Claude. I am buying a movie for entertainment not for format. Yes BR loads faster than HD but that does not enter my (little) mind, I just look for a movie that interests me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts