You shouldn't own both formats!

I aint gonna own either if they dont get their sh*t together. No mor vhs beta bs again. I will get a player only, when they will both play blue ray and HD DVD!!!

Well you need to add and below $75 to your list of requirements. That way you can wait for a few years before that day happens. You see they already have a player that does both but it cost too much for you. It cost too much for most people because it is cheaper to have both players than one that does both. I have both, total out of pocket cost was $330.00 But, I took advantage of the deals and opportunities windows available. If you really want one (goes for everyone) stop being a format cheerleader and just enjoy HDTV in 1080p. When you can, get both.

I don't think it will matter much if folks support both formats. The consumer is not really going to decide this one. The Retailers and the Studios will and they will probably do it next year. Everyone wants one HD format and we all want it to be the one we support.

I don't think it will matter much if folks support both formats. The consumer is not really going to decide this one. The Retailers and the Studios will and they will probably do it next year. Everyone wants one HD format and we all want it to be the one we support.

Sane, logical posts on the war zone? What a strange night. I agree with you on this one. Consumers aren't deciding this one.

Sane, logical posts on the war zone? What a strange night. I agree with you on this one. Consumers aren't deciding this one.

No, but you would think the studios have at least a little bit of an eye on buying preferences (and yes, I think they can see through the BOGO's) while making their decisions, so in a roundabout way....

Alright guys which format has the most movies? Cya Slick

That's kind of a loaded question. I think the raw number of available titles is actually pretty close. Which has more "better" movies just comes down to personal preference.

Other than I like the storage format, movie selection was the main reason I bought BD. 75-80% of my new releases picked for Netlfix are BD only or can be had on both.

Paramount really sucked me in because they have some "buy" titles coming for me next year, plus Transformers.

Now if Warner does in fact announce their going BD only at CES 2008, I will stop buying HDDVD's period. I've actually suspended buying many of the titles I want on HDDVD until prob February to see what happens. I have plenty of BD's to buy to keep me busy and Ill still buy the bourne trilogy and matrix trilogy on HDDVD during Christmas.

If WB goes pro HDDVD, then Ill rethink my strategy.

If WB goes pro HDDVD, then Ill rethink my strategy.

Well, it would change things for me as well - it would have to. As of now, I buy movies I like without regard to format, but if it's available in both, I buy Blu. Currently, Warner is the only one making them for both, so if they went HD exclusive, I'd have to buy their movies in HD (which I would with no problem), but I'd keep buying Blu-Ray's...

Now, if other studios start going neutral or switching after Warner, that's a different story.

The main reason not to own both is

5 years (average) after one wins, you will not be able to replace your player when it breaks, Leaving you with nn disks to replace.

In part this is why many are to buy either format at this time. The fear of getting stuck with lots of useless disks.

ps: anyone want a collection of Laserdisc's? BetaMax tapes?

The fear of getting stuck with lots of useless disks.
You don't have to wait to play the hidef game, just buy the format you can strip the
protection from and play with any player you like. Today or 10 years from now...

Let's say a movie fan buys 1 movie a week. 50 per year. 250 over 5 years.
An average movie (no extras) takes about 20GB. Over 5 years - 5TB. Buying 1TB per
year for 5 years will cost you ~$350.

Not too much to pay for the option to have those movies playable regardless of this war outcome...

Diogen.

You don't have to wait to play the hidef game, just buy the format you can strip the
protection from and play with any player you like. Today or 10 years from now...

Let's say a movie fan buys 1 movie a week. 50 per year. 250 over 5 years.
An average movie (no extras) takes about 20GB. Over 5 years - 5TB. Buying 1TB per
year for 5 years will cost you ~$350.

Not too much to pay for the option to have those movies playable regardless of this war outcome...

Diogen.

Not something I would do. And certainly not something that the average person would even know how to do, which is why they would wait.

Until the war changes to either one wins, or both are surviving with Almost all movies available in both formats, most people are staying on the sidelines.

Until the war changes to either one wins, or both are surviving with Almost all movies available in both formats, most people are staying on the sidelines.

Well, you're partially right. Most people are staying on the sidelines, but it's not because there are two formats, it's because the price to jump into the game is too high for most people. Not saying there aren't some who are waiting because of the duality, but for most it's a question of not thinking the difference in quality is worth the difference in expense.

Hey, tnsprin, I'll opt for the LD Collection!

Is the Blu-HD fight over the media? Over the hardware? Over the "extras"?

Or is it over the movies?

I have both players. Both play movies most excellently.

I usually buy Blu, but buy HD-DVD when I can't find Blu, or the title is non-Blu. I personally don't care what medium films like "Big Momma's House" is on (wouldn't purchase that movie anyway). As long as evolving media exists, I'll most likely buy it -- 16mm film, Betamax, VHS, SVHS, LD, DVHS, and now Blu and HD-DVD ... and the next change in delivery will be? As long as quality (set by my personal preferences) movies are available, I'll buy in whatever format is available at the time delivering the best picture/sound. If Hwood stops makin' movies tomorrow, I still have a wealth of quality movies to watch on LD, DVHS, Blu and HD-DVD.

As far as the OP was suggesting, pointing to Bill Hunt's assessment that dual-format purchases was going to perpetuate the damn format war stalemate...I agree, in principle.

But as a fan of movies and HD, I just can't help myself. I buy what I like--no matter which corporate entity stands to profit from my purchase. "It's the content, stupid!" And if there are NO sales, I think that the studios will misinterpret this as a sign that there is no market for removable media versions of their films in HD. That would be bad--very, very bad.

So, I'll slant my purchases toward the higher quality offerings of titles released in both formats and try to be selective towards "good" movies overall...and hopefully that will do something to groom the format war towards quality. In the end, the best quality films in the best quality release specs is all we could hope for, right?

BTW, I think Bill concurs w/ the impulses I describe above--he's only suggesting restraint where he imagines their may be conflicting impulses/motives (that he actually understands/appreciates). Read his diatribe carefully and I think you'll agree.

dodge right now there is little risk jumping in with the HD-A3 for $200 + 10 free movies. That price is little more then the best up converting DVD players. If there is another $98 sale there is even less risk.

30" syntax olevia lcd flat panel HDTV monitor This is Dodg's best monitor It has a native resolution of 768x1280. This doesn't even meet the standards of some who define HD lite. Therefore I agree with dodge's position, to wait. His investment now would have to be the player PLUS a new monitor that is 1080p x 1920 native resolution. Considering that today's prices on these monitors are continuing to go down, his cost to be in the high definition disk camp today is considerable, and he would save money by waiting even another year. The equipment will most certainly be cheaper and better than what those of us early adopters are using today. We are in it because we consider spending high prices for the early technology worth it. We expect to have buggy, expensive technology. Most, like dodge will wait until the technology settles in on standards and the prices are low and stop dropping. The so called war with two formats only delays the time when more people will jump in for higher quality.

30" syntax olevia lcd flat panel HDTV monitor This is Dodg's best monitor It has a native resolution of 768x1280. This doesn't even meet the standards of some who define HD lite. Therefore I agree with dodge's position, to wait. His investment now would have to be the player PLUS a new monitor that is 1080p x 1920 native resolution. Considering that today's prices on these monitors are continuing to go down, his cost to be in the high definition disk camp today is considerable, and he would save money by waiting even another year. The equipment will most certainly be cheaper and better than what those of us early adopters are using today. We are in it because we consider spending high prices for the early technology worth it. We expect to have buggy, expensive technology. Most, like dodge will wait until the technology settles in on standards and the prices are low and stop dropping. The so called war with two formats only delays the time when more people will jump in for higher quality.

If you could tell the difference on a sub 40" monitor, maybe. 720p is fine for smaller screens.

BTW, I think Bill concurs w/ the impulses I describe above--he's only suggesting restraint where he imagines their may be conflicting impulses/motives (that he actually understands/appreciates). Read his diatribe carefully and I think you'll agree.
I think the less one reads of that idiots nonsense the higher one's IQ will remain.

Hey, tnsprin, I'll opt for the LD Collection!

Is the Blu-HD fight over the media? Over the hardware? Over the "extras"?

Or is it over the movies?

I have both players. Both play movies most excellently.

I haven't counted them but probably have 150 LD. Not sure how many still work (remember Laser rot?). I disconected my Laser player about 8 years ago when I started conntecting up HDTV equipment. By that point I already was building up a DVD replacement collection. Note that even today I haven't seen a DVD for some of the titles I had on LD. I wonder if my last LD player still works?

Now I am building up a BD collection, and hoping I don't have to build up a Red collection. From my point view I want either Blu to win or combination players to become standard.

Back when Betamax was phased out, I had to borrow some pro equipment (regular was no longer available) to convert my betamax tapes especially home video to MPEG2 and cut some DVD's. Lack of replacement equipment makes your old media very expensive. I wonder if my last LD player still works?