What made you choose the format you did

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
was this forum a factor? If so how? Are you happy with the decision?

I chose Blu-ray because of the movies.
PoC 1,2,3.
King Arthur
The Rock
Spiderman 1 2 3
And many more movies....

I love movies. Good movies come from all sorts of sources/studios...so in order to enjoy good movies in HD, I bought both formats. I always thought blu stood the better chance, but actually bought into HD-DVD first.

I could've waited a year or two until we had one format, but I sometimes go all Veruca Salt and 'want it now!!' So, no regrets, really. Just keep watching the web for deals, actually ;).

I bought into blu first cause I bought a ps3. I wasn't even thinking of buying a HD DVD player until Warner only released smallville season 5 on HD. So I had to buy a A1 unit. The only problem I have with HD that I've never experienced with blu is long load time (A1) I know its the first generation player, but still takes awhile to load a disc. Secondly, HD seem to have to be perfect disc. I rented a lot of HD and a lot skipped. Had to return a few to netflix. I really can't believe people can't take care of a disc.

I originally got HD DVD due to price of players and the completeness of the format at the time. I had seen a few of the BD players on the market and thought they all had a ways to go before calling themselves a finished product.

Then I saw a buddies PS3 and demo'd it's BD performance. After watching 1 BD movie on the PS3, I bought a PS3 (20gig at the time) for BD playback only.

Since then, I have scooped up good deals on additional 2 additional HD DVD players (grabbed a 3rd one as a insurance backup) and got a 2nd PS3 (80gig) during the walmart 10 free BD's instantly in-store during the holidays.

So for me, it was all about incentives and price of players at first. Now it's about movie prices and deals.

I originally got HD DVD due to price of players and the completeness of the format at the time. I had seen a few of the BD players on the market and thought they all had a ways to go before calling themselves a finished product.

Then I saw a buddies PS3 and demo'd it's BD performance. After watching 1 BD movie on the PS3, I bought a PS3 (20gig at the time) for BD playback only.

Since then, I have scooped up good deals on additional 2 additional HD DVD players (grabbed a 3rd one as a insurance backup) and got a 2nd PS3 (80gig) during the walmart 10 free BD's instantly in-store during the holidays.

So for me, it was all about incentives and price of players at first. Now it's about movie prices and deals.

All ready had the xbox360 and Sams club was selling the drive for $89 and had 5 free movies on top of that, and at that time it was anyones game (this was well before the a2 deal).

HD DVD, got my A3 for $98. 7 free movies and works good upconverting my DVD movies.

I chose BD really because I wanted the format to survive(storage), did not really care as much about the movie side because both are fine in that aspect.

When I bought in a year ago, I did like BD's studio support better. When Paramount when red, it forced me into HD-DVD.

HD DVD, price, free movies, plus as time goes by all HD DVD movies will be fire saled by retailers and BD prices will drop and I will add BD to my 3rd HDMI input.

Although I haven't been religious about format support, I sympathize very much with this point of view
...I have nothing against the format, it is the supporters of BD that have made me decide no BD...

Diogen.

HD DVD for the cost and the movies...Look at how many threads there are from the BD folks pounding on HD DVD when most of them have never had a player... I will stick with HD DVD and buy External HDD's for the BD exclusive movies when they come out on the Premiums... That's just the way I was raised :)

I was sitting out the format war, leaning to HD DVD at first because of price and Toshiba, but couldn't get over BD's studio support.

The weekend the 40G PS3 hit the streets, the first ad I saw was $339 at Fry's for the unit plus "Underworld Ev" and "5th Element". Though not a gamer, I decided it was too good to pass up and at the very least I'd have a very good next-gen machince to play games on once in a while. The price turned out to be a typo, but Fry's still honored it for those of us who had lined up before the store had opened with ads in hand.

Last edited:
As I don't see Blu-ray ever consolidating on a comprehensive feature set that allows the movie houses to shoot for the stars on special features and not miss anyone, I chose HD DVD.

...I will stick with HD DVD and buy External HDD's for the BD exclusive movies when they come out on the Premiums...
I can relate to this.
I believe there are about a 100 movies I want to own a copy of. And willing to pay for new releases as long as the increase in video quality is noticable.
This "list of 100" is in a state of flux - new movies make it, others fade away... At the moment I have about 80 of those, all in 720p (sat, cable).
With a proper playback system they look as good as HD/BD versions on a 720p projector. Not interested in new versions of them.

New releases - probably half of movie watching in our family - I'm watching for the story, not PQ. If it makes into the "list of 100", I'd consider getting a HD/BD of it.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts