Holy hell! 3net's gone!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have to admit I have 3DTV's in my living room and master bedroom, but have never used the feature. The glasses are still in the packaging in my office. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one. 3D was cool in the theaters for a couple movies, but mostly ended up being a disappointment. I think the TV networks and maybe even the theaters are moving past 3D and focusing on 4K.

The American public does not want 3D and will not pay extra for a 3D t.v. In a VERY short amount of time Amazon is going to find out America does NOT want a "dynamic perspective" phone, their cell phone is going down in flames as we speak. The market place has spoken and it doesn't want 3D. A special movie here and there (Avatar) yea sure, BUT that is it!!

I'd love 3d, If I didn't have to add hardware each time I watched it.

I've got two of the devices, both active and passive, and I do enjoy it, even if I don't use it much for the reason stated.

As no surprise except it took a year or so longer than I thought, it's very possible there will be only one 3D TV available in some manufacturers lineup next year or none. It was fun to play around with for awhile but honestly, no one I know, no family no friends want to watch 3D for more than a few minutes just for the experience.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jwherrman/ces-2014-is-turning-into-a-funeral-for-3d#fcjs01
"Panasonic, which admitted a year ago that its massive 3D push “hasn’t really worked,” has largely disappeared the feature from its new lineup. About 90% of Panasonic’ s 2013 range had some sort of 3D feature. Its 2014 lineup, announced today, has either substantially dropped 3D support or made it a secret: of its 14 new TVs, just three is branded as 3D."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/6/5279150/vizio-announces-first-consumer-4k-tvs-kills-3d-support

I posted it's demise in the 3D forum as it went blank as I knew if I posted it in the DIRECTV forum it would draw the 3D haters like flies on ... ;)
I imagine there will be a 4Knet taking it's place sometime in the future from these partners.

That channel played the same content over and over. I like 3D but there was nothing there once you have seen all the shows once. Lack of new content killed it.

I love 3D but honestly 3Net turned into the 3D version of VOOM. Lots of great eye candy but the same thing showing again and again.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I don't know or care what 4K is. I liked ESPN 3D. I have watched a few of the 3net shows, but usually in 2D mode.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Gimmick...Expensive. For extreme techie people only.
Besides, i live with reality all day. I don't want to have my tv placing me inside the fantasy land of television as well.

Extreme techie people? I'd imagine that's many who post on boards like this one.. Hah! But yeah, it was time for 3net to retire from active duty I'd say..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the voom analogy is quite good. Unfortunately it is good because I got it late, liked it only to have it pulled out from me with few choices. Voom had its own programming and it was quite good but it got stale. It was ahead of its time. 3d tv is not just a gimmick this time around. Timing was bad and you need recognize it is for everyone. Timing was bad as when started 2 years ago economy was weaker and still is. I'm leaving my tv until I need to then paying a limitless more for the feature made sense. I think the big killer is that it is like buying a computer and not having any soft ware. You can not rent from the main stream any 3d movies or programming, you have to buy it at high prices. Tv networks faded out quickly. Even streaming on Netflix was hidden item.

Perhaps what Disney did with Frozen represents the selfishness of the industry when it came to 3d. Amazon had racked up a large number of advanced orders for it only to be forced by Disney to return deposits for because Disney racked up a special deal with a pay per view company keeping it off US market for at least a year. Everywhere else got it the day the 2d BR copy came out.

It seems outside of the US market, 3d is a bigger hit but not the smash hit they dreamed it would be. Sky TV promotes having several channels of it.

I did not know that Comcast had such a strong presence in 3d until 3net was stopped and a simpathetic forum reader told me about it.

I am still surprised that there has been no official announcement from any of the partners. The website acts like it is still going on. Is there a chance other countries are still getting it and we have not heard about it. Direct tv made it clear they dropped them not the other way. Yet they did not make a fuss about losing it. No pricing issue. Seems more is at play.

Anyone see an official announcement fron3net, Discovery or Sony?

I wondered if they planned to put some of it on BR discs for sale at Discovery or something.

PS I liked Voom so much I switched to Dish as for a while they carried their programming for a little while.

We'll I watched 3net for 1week before closing and recorded about 5shows so I'm going to stop whining and go watch the Bugs episode.

Looks like I left out some "not". 3d is not for everyone.

The thought one would junk you present TV just to get it would be foolish so they should have planned on a slower acceptance period especially in a sluggish economy.

This what I was trying to say.

It just shows 3D was never huge...people are still getting use to 1080p.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)