Home media server install for 2 Hoppers and three joeys. and 1 more futer Hopper no joeys

aikoentp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Peoria area Central Illinois
Hey Guys,
I got rid of the 3 722's and 512. Sucks that you can't activate any other receiver on Hopper account. OK, I have been using my laptop to stream to the whole House. With the help of, and I'm experimenting with many, media server software. unfortunate for me my lap top died and I'm using my wife's. I have been able to transcode, AVI,mp4,mkv and many others. It comes out in a codec the hoppers and joeys can see and play including media files. I really want to build both a kick but desktop and have the separate media server connected to the desktop with external cabling. OK, Here is the kicker. I want to add another hopper to my account and current net work and the future sever. Anyone have a diagram as to how to do this. I know I need a single node. Man, I have a 6' channel Master, a 5' Chinese metal ant. 2 DPP 33 switches and a local antenna fed buy an amplified multi port distribution splitter. I have cable that look like they should be running through a cable tray. One other thing needs mentioning, I live in PR the land of cement houses, so existing cabling to rooms need to remain the same.

If I'm reading this correctly, you have 1h/3j and want to go to 2h/3j.

You need a duo node instead of a solo. If you're already utilizing the 33 switch you're good. The duo node would just use all 3 outputs from the switch. Make sure you have good RG6 cable to the room where the additional hopper would go. Dish "requires" 3 ghz cable for hoppers, but in my experience most any rg6 will work if you're unable to replace existing.

If setting up an additional tv is you're main goal, you could actually purchase a 211/k/z receiver and activate with your existing equipment. Make sure to tell Dish it is for a "tailgater".

As far as the media server goes, that is one thing I haven't played around with, although it's on my list of things to do.

Speaking of a media sever, what would it take to connect the output of the Hopper to a HiDef input on a computer so you could use the computer as a DVR/media server and not be concerned about an EHD being locked to a Hopper?
Some day the Hopper will go away like the 500, 600, 700 series, not to mention cutting the cable someday.
Freedom and independence would be pleasant.

Speaking of a media sever, what would it take to connect the output of the Hopper to a HiDef input on a computer so you could use the computer as a DVR/media server and not be concerned about an EHD being locked to a Hopper?
Some day the Hopper will go away like the 500, 600, 700 series, not to mention cutting the cable someday.
Freedom and independence would be pleasant.

A TV Tuner card that supports HDCP (for HDMI) unless you have one that has component or composite cable inputs then you could record the stuff that isn't HDCP protected.

As for the media center if you have PlayON and PlayLater I've been having issues watching mp4's recorded with PlayLater with my Hopper set up. The Hoppers/Joeys act like the mp4's aren't a proper format and just skips over my files.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)