home plug for 722 internet

I've been looking into homeplug. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours? How much?

From what I've seen and read it should be pretty much plug and play. One unit plugs into your router (or modem) and the other unit plugs into your 722. Your house electrical wiring serves as the cabling between the two units.

There really isn't much that you need to know. Just make sure that your HomePlug adapter is a Homeplug 1.0 or 1.1 (ie Turbo) and not a HomePlug AV adapter. The HomePlug AV is faster, but is not backwards compatible with the 1.x standard.

You will basically plug the HomePlug adapter into an outlet by your Router. Then take an ethernet cable and connect it one of the free ethernet ports on the router. All of these HomePlug/ethernet adapters are different, but it should have a "homeplug" link led on it. When the Adapter "sees" another homeplug device that it can talk to (such as another HomePlug adapter or your 722) the led should illuminate. If you see that led on, the you are on your way. If it is not, then you may have some work ahead of you.

If it is on, then go to your 722 and using the menus, try to set up your network connection and get internet access. Hopefully it will obtain a ip from your router.

If you have problems, I will try to help you out here.

Home plug is built into the 722 so you only need 1 home plug appliance. The appliance has to be a 1.0 deice and not the new 2.0 device which can stream video from a pc. It must be plugged directly into the wall socket. IOgear has them and they are relatively inexpensive.

Hope this helps....

I've been looking into homeplug. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours? How much?

From what I've seen and read it should be pretty much plug and play. One unit plugs into your router (or modem) and the other unit plugs into your 722. Your house electrical wiring serves as the cabling between the two units.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, you only need the one unit on the router side. It puts the internet connection onto your power line. The 722 has Homeplug built in. You just plug the 722 into the outlet, and you should be good to go!
Tom in TX

i actually ordered mine from dish . i think it was around 40 dollers.

There really isn't much that you need to know. Just make sure that your HomePlug adapter is a Homeplug 1.0 or 1.1 (ie Turbo) and not a HomePlug AV adapter. The HomePlug AV is faster, but is not backwards compatible with the 1.x standard.

You will basically plug the HomePlug adapter into an outlet by your Router. Then take an ethernet cable and connect it one of the free ethernet ports on the router. All of these HomePlug/ethernet adapters are different, but it should have a "homeplug" link led on it. When the Adapter "sees" another homeplug device that it can talk to (such as another HomePlug adapter or your 722) the led should illuminate. If you see that led on, the you are on your way. If it is not, then you may have some work ahead of you.

If it is on, then go to your 722 and using the menus, try to set up your network connection and get internet access. Hopefully it will obtain a ip from your router.

If you have problems, I will try to help you out here.

I forgot the 722 has homeplug built in!

It also should be pointed out that you only need one Homeplug adapter to support multiple VIP receivers. I have both a 722 and 622 using a single Homeplug adapter. Both receivers connect just fine and the newly released Remote Access works with this as well.

Once you have the adapter plugged in and ready, you need to go into the menus on your receiver and setup the broadband so it sees it and uses it. It might do this for you but I would look to be sure.
Then under connection you can test it and if all is good then it will say broadband online or something similar.

also, you may run into a weird wiring problem. If your homeplug is on one side of the breakers and your receiver is on the other. I have heard where this can cause slow or no connection.

Here are some set up tips.

1. The HomePlug system works by setting a "Network Password" All the HomePlug devices must have their passwords set to the same value in order for them to see and talk to each other. If the passwords on two devices are mismatched, then the devices will pretty much be invisible to each other. All of the Dish Network hardware has their password set to the HomePlug default of "HomePlug".

When you buy your adapter and plug it in, it should also have its password set to the same default password. If that is the case, then it and the 722 should immediately "see" each other. If they can see each other, then they should be able to pass traffic between each other and therefore "work".

2. If you need to do further trouble shooting, then here area few more tidbits. As I mentioned before the Adapter should have a "homeplug" link led that lights up when it detects another homeplug device with the same password. To find out for sure what that other device is you need to use some software.

Included with each adapter is usually a utility CD. You can install this utility on a laptop. Unplug the Adapter from the router and connect the adapter to your PC. Here you can set the network password to "HomePlug". The software should also list what other devices are seen by their MAC addresses. Here is where you can verify that what the adapter is seeing is actually the DVR. I forget exactly where, but you can get the MAC address of the 722 on a menu screen somewhere. (Note that is usually off by one from the ethernet adapter's MAC address).

also, you may run into a weird wiring problem. If your homeplug is on one side of the breakers and your receiver is on the other. I have heard where this can cause slow or no connection.

To clarify. I assume he's talking about the two plugs being on different phases of the house wiring (50-50 chance). The signal might have to travel to a pole, to a transformer to get across. For X10 devices they make bridges that provide a path across the phases (I have no idea if these would help with homeplug -> perhaps if it's passive).

This is the problem if the signal improves when a 220 appliance is fired up (it bridges the phases). This works for X10. I'm not sure about Powerline, but it could provide a much easier path for the signals.

Here are some set up tips.

1. The HomePlug system works by setting a "Network Password" All the HomePlug devices must have their passwords set to the same value in order for them to see and talk to each other. If the passwords on two devices are mismatched, then the devices will pretty much be invisible to each other. All of the Dish Network hardware has their password set to the HomePlug default of "HomePlug".

When you buy your adapter and plug it in, it should also have its password set to the same default password. If that is the case, then it and the 722 should immediately "see" each other. If they can see each other, then they should be able to pass traffic between each other and therefore "work".

Yea, I'm pretty nervous running the default password. I don't want someone using my outside wall plug to access my formally secure internal network. I wish dish would let us set the password.

Perhaps we'd be better off just getting two hi-speed AV adapters and connecting to the PVR w/ an Ethernet cable.

Personaly, I eventually get sufficiently annoyed that I end up pulling an Ethernet cable to where it needs to go.

Anyone know if Homeplug gets along with X10 ?

Last edited:
Well that is the other solution. Just use two HomePlug adapters and set passwords on each one to a value other than "HomePlug". At that point you will be secure. You will just be working around the Built in HomePlug chip and using the ethernet adapter of your 722 instead. No foul in doing that.

As a side to this, I also added a "wireless extender" (I think that's what it's called) to a plug downstairs to improve my wireless connection all over my house. The wife's iPhone was getting weaker signals downstairs and sometimes that caused issues.

It works great!

Just an update. I got my home plug last night. The only problem i had was fixed by plugging my 722 directly in to the wall socket as opposed to my serge protector. Worked great after that! Connected right up.

HomePLug will not work with your more expensive/better built surge protectors. I have mine plugged into a Wally World cheapy and it works fine. Thats at the router end. I use the either net port on the 722 side plugged into a 4 port HomePluge switch. Don't like not haveing the 722 plugged into a good surge protector.

HomePLug will not work with your more expensive/better built surge protectors. I have mine plugged into a Wally World cheapy and it works fine. Thats at the router end. I use the either net port on the 722 side plugged into a 4 port HomePluge switch. Don't like not haveing the 722 plugged into a good surge protector.

This rules out HomePlug for me, then. I will not take my receivers off the UPS's. Guess I'll have to go the bridge route.