HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great information Cyclone. Thanks for all of the clarification.

Question - what kind of cable will run between the 622 and the power outlet? Will this be something that will be provided by Dish? Pretty sure I don't have an interface cable that looks like that in my box of cables :)

the normal power plug :)

Seriously.

LER

Oh wow...your right. I thought it was a plug going into the network connector. Thanks.

I saw a set of 2 homeplug to ethernet adapters on eBay for $40.00. He has 2 available (after I got one).

Just remember to stay away from HomePlug AV or any 200Mpbs adapters. They are just not compatible with the 622's HomePlug 1.0 chip.

I would also recommend the Netgear devices over the Linksys devices. I have used the Intellon chip and software all year so I am familar with them and can recommend them. The linksys stuff has different software and I'm not sure what HomePlug chip they are using. I'm not saying that it won't work, I just don't know anything about them to be able to recommend them.

I would also recommend the Netgear devices over the Linksys devices. I have used the Intellon chip and software all year so I am familar with them and can recommend them. The linksys stuff has different software and I'm not sure what HomePlug chip they are using. I'm not saying that it won't work, I just don't know anything about them to be able to recommend them.

Will this potentially affect me since I have a Linksys router?

Just purchased a NetGear adapter.

No, the Netgear PLID should work fine with any ethernet device. Linksys or otherwise.

You're welcome. I wasn't expecting this to come up, so it was a pleasant surprise when something I knew well suddenly became relevant. :D

I still wonder how Dish will support "using the 622 in a secured homeplug environment"?

The can do this is many ways:

• Provide the DEK password for the 622's HomePlug Chip. This will allow you to change the NEK remotely using the software that came with your PLID. Providing this DEK may be a problem though. Usually its on a sticker on the device. But it looks like that ship has sailed, I didn't see it on my 622. The Next step would be to either make it viewable from within the 622's menus, Dish's website, or a call to a CSR.
  • Easiest: Allow the NEK to be set via the 622 menus. Put a "set network name" button on the DishComm configuration screen and there you go.

Ok, I tried some things out tonight.

This does post a security risk at your home. This essentially requires that you have a HomePlug device set to default connected to your router. So in other words, if someone takes a PLID and hooks it up a power outlet on the outside of your house, they will be on your lan. You could lock down your router to only give out IP addresses to known MAC address, but if someone just manually sets their IP to be on your subnet, then they are still in. It might give Dish get a headache to do this, but they might want to put the capability to change the NEK into the 622 to restore security to the HomePlug environment.

What stops the network signal from reaching the pole outside my house? Would my neighbor be able to connect a PLID inside his house and get an IP from my router? After all, he electrical service comes from the same pole outside. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

Just hooked up the NetGear X103 tonight- worked instantly- no set up- just plug it in.

Went to the broadband set up on my 622's and BAM!!- connection was there. Couldn't have been easier!!!

What stops the network signal from reaching the pole outside my house? Would my neighbor be able to connect a PLID inside his house and get an IP from my router? After all, he electrical service comes from the same pole outside. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks!

Correct... if your neighbor doesn't go through a transformer or other type of filtering then yes, they can get on your network.

Sure there is a way, you just need Dish to reveal the DEK for the 622's HomePlug chip. Or you can use a separate PLID for the 622.

622_HomePlug1.gif

Basic Setup. Works out of the box.

622_HomePlug2.gif

Works with two receivers.

622_HomePlug3.gif

Secured via the PLIDs
622_HomePlug4.gif

Using PLIDs you can add more receivers.
622_HomePlug5.gif

I wonder how this one will pan out?

622_HomePlug6.gif

Last edited:
Cyclone- so you're saying a transformer will isolate the PLID- good.

My power, and the power for three other neighbors, individually come off a transformer box out by the street so my network can't be compromised.

I'm tellin' ya, this was too easy... nothing to configure.

Actually no.

The transformer will keep your traffic from finding its way back onto the Medium Voltage lines, but you are still detectable on all of the low voltage (what goes to everyone's houses that is served by that transformer. ie your close neighbors).

I've heard that is possible that your can block the homeplug traffic. The meters that we use do not (in fact they also use homeplug), So that the homeplug devices in a house can talk to our BPL bridges which are installed at the transformer.

So there is a chance that your neighbor could see your HomePlug data. Like DSL, BPL does degrade over distance. So the further away, the less likely they are to see you. If you are friends with a neighbor, you can configure a PLID to have its NEK set to "HomePlug". Go plug it in at his house (or outside wall outlet ;) ) and run back home and use that Utility that comes with the PLIDs. That will show you call PLIDs that are detected and their signal strength. See that PIC of the utility that I have in the earlier post.

A good place for finding Powerline to Ethernet adapters for cheap is Newegg. Pretty much all the HomePlug 1.0 devices are identical inside (Intellon's RD5200 reference design) and the same software utility (written by Intellon). The same goes for all the 85Mbps HomePlug 1.1 devices (Intellon's RD5500 reference design).

The reason that the 622 has the 1.0 chipset inside (14Mbps) instead of the 1.1 chipset (85Mbps) is that the 1.1 chipset didn't exist when Echostar began designing the 622. Surge protection is built into the Intellon reference designs, so you don't need to plug the 622 or any HomePlug device into a surge protector. As stated above the MOVs used in cheap surge protectors will degrade or block the HomePlug signal.

A good place for finding Powerline to Ethernet adapters for cheap is Newegg. Pretty much all the HomePlug 1.0 devices are identical inside (Intellon's RD5200 reference design) and the same software utility (written by Intellon). The same goes for all the 85Mbps HomePlug 1.1 devices (Intellon's RD5500 reference design).

The reason that the 622 has the 1.0 chipset inside (14Mbps) instead of the 1.1 chipset (85Mbps) is that the 1.1 chipset didn't exist when Echostar began designing the 622. Surge protection is built into the Intellon reference designs, so you don't need to plug the 622 or any HomePlug device into a surge protector. As stated above the MOVs used in cheap surge protectors will degrade or block the HomePlug signal.

Is there any chance the 722 has the HomePlug 1.1 chipset?