HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that?

LER, any power strip has the potential to block the signal. The test is to just plug directly into the outlet and look for the Network LED to light up. Each PLID usually has three leds. One for power, the 2nd for Homeplug, and the third for ethernet. The 2nd one is the one that you need to look for.

If a PLID sees any other device that has the same NEK as it does, this 2nd LED should illuminate. Try this PLID in the power strip and outside of the powerstrip. See if effects the ability to see the devices.

Cafffiend, I think that you get charged when the 622 fails to call home. So it may not be a fee that they charge based predetermination, but based on not hearing from your 622 in a certain period of time. Now that your 622 has a way to call home, this fee might disappear from your bill on its own. Of course we don't know what Dish's cycle of "call home" to "billing" is, so I have no idea how long it will be until fee is no longer billed.

On another note. Here is a cool product that I saw on a friends desk today.

TII Network Technologies

Its a power strip with a HomePlug modem built into it. You just plug the powestrip into the wall, and use its build in ethernet jack for communications and its power outlets to power your electronics. Pretty cool.

LER, any power strip has the potential to block the signal. The test is to just plug directly into the outlet and look for the Network LED to light up. Each PLID usually has three leds. One for power, the 2nd for Homeplug, and the third for ethernet. The 2nd one is the one that you need to look for.
This is the new 622 that's not being seen, so no lights :).

I'll see if I can get it's plug to a wall outlet :)

Thanks!

OK, the PLID's showed up today. Interesting results:

1) I plugged a PLID into the wall upstairs and to my router
2) I hit the network connection tab on the new 622 up there, and did "reset connection", and it got an IP address from that router
3) the downstairs living room 622 is not connected to anything, and hitting reset connection gets an IP from the upstairs router (but can't see the 622 in #2 via DishComm).
4) unplugged the ethernet cable from the 622 in my bedroom, and reset the connection, and NO IP.
the 622 in #4 can see 622 in #3 via Dishcomm.

Cyclone:
Any ideas?

LER

OK, the PLID's showed up today. Interesting results:

1) I plugged a PLID into the wall upstairs and to my router
2) I hit the network connection tab on the new 622 up there, and did "reset connection", and it got an IP address from that router
3) the downstairs living room 622 is not connected to anything, and hitting reset connection gets an IP from the upstairs router (but can't see the 622 in #2 via DishComm).
4) unplugged the ethernet cable from the 622 in my bedroom, and reset the connection, and NO IP.
the 622 in #4 can see 622 in #3 via Dishcomm.

Cyclone:
Any ideas?

LER

Sure, Take your PC and install that utility software on it. Then plug your PC directly into the ethernet jack of the PLID. Run the utility and see if it can see both 622s. If your PC is a laptop, you may be able to move the PLID around to other outlets in your house to see if is possible to see both 622s from any single convenient location. Also if you don't ever see the 622 #4, try taking your PC and PLID to the same room as that missing 622 at see if you can at least see it when the PLID and the 622 are right up next to each other.

Use the IP screen from the working 622 to determine its MAC address for its homeplug chip. That way you can tell it from the other one in the utility.

Attachments

• 622_HomePlug2.gif
    622_HomePlug2.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 211
So LER, were you able to do any trouble shooting?

Not really. I'll try this upcoming long weekend.

I did hook it up to the laptop, and could see various different HP stuff depending on what outlet I'm in.

I'll try to diagram it up, and post over the weekend with MAC addresses, etc.

Thanks for the follow-up.

LER

Homeplug Pro cant connect with 622 directly

I am using homeplug 85mb plus devices and whenever I try to get a connection directly with the 622 I cant get any interaction. However if I use another homeplug plus device into an outlet in the bedroom and run an ethernet cable to the 622 I quickly get an internet connection. I believe from what I have read on this forum that the 622 should be compatible with the homeplug plus device so does anyone have any suggestions for me.

JC

I am using homeplug 85mb plus devices and whenever I try to get a connection directly with the 622 I cant get any interaction. However if I use another homeplug plus device into an outlet in the bedroom and run an ethernet cable to the 622 I quickly get an internet connection. I believe from what I have read on this forum that the 622 should be compatible with the homeplug plus device so does anyone have any suggestions for me.

JC

Yes it is compatible. It is possible that the HomePlug card inside the 622 is disabled, either through a setting in the 622 or it hasn't gotten the latest firmware enabling it. It also could be blocked if you are plugging the 622 into a surge protector. The last possibility is that the HomePlug card inside is defective/damaged.

Homeplug compatibility

According to the specs of homeplug turbo they are backwards compatible to homeplug 1.0. Re the most recent post the receiver I am testing is a reveiver that I just received it as a replacement for a 622 that had a broken hdmi port. I was waiting for the hd backup so once I was able to do that I was sent a new receiver.

I also tried using the same homeplug turbo device on the previous receiver with no results. On both receivers I was able to get an internet connection when I used the homeplug turbo into the 622s ethernet port.

Both Receivers are/were plugged into the same outlet that I used for the other homeplug turbo device so I know the signal is getting to the system.

One last comment I now have the other homeplug turbo device plugged into the power strip that had the receiver and TV and I get an internet connection on the 622 through the internet port so I should be able to plug my 622 back into the power strip and get a signal.

Hope this additional information helps.
JC

Homeplug Turbo now working

Well folks I dont know why exactly but homeplug turbo is now working! I disconnected the homeplug turob adapter and then refreshed the dhcp button and I still had a connection. I have done this a number of times since and I still have a connection so it does work. I get about a 120kbs connection via this system according to the monitoring tool or about 10mhz so its not that fast but its better than dialup by far.

JC:)

I've talked to four different people at Dish to try and get my Programming Access Fee removed since I've hooked up the homeplug. No dice. My 622 connects just fine, and it gives me an IP address. The IP address is local to my router though (192.168.0.101). Is that right?

Cyclone! My man!

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this thread. I hooked up a Netgear XE103 last night and it found my 722 in less than two seconds. You saved me from having to run cat5 between two stories of my house for what I'm sure would have been a painful amount of money.

Now I just have to wait for that $5 fee to disappear from my bill, which may take a few months (if it happens at all) based on what I'm reading here... :(

Caffiend, your IP address sound right. I think that technically you are all set. Just need to wait for Dish to drop that fee.

peepoop [cyclone and peepoop exchange hood handshakes]. Glad to hear that this worked out for you so well. I had always been thinking about this homeplug stuff would save people from running cat5 around their houses. But at the time, I never imagined that Dish had actually put the chip right into the receiver. That was a sweet surprise. As I say in the title, "How cool is that?".

Thanks for all this Cyclone. I'm going to order up a that inexpensive Advantek someone else posted and hope for the best.

For some reason, this all gives me a headache and I can't seem to process it in my wee mind. Do I need to rename my wireless LAN "HomePlug", since the PLID will be plugged into the wireless router, or is the PLID network considered separate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)