HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that?

Not trying to hijack this thread but to the OP have you actually tested those speeds you are posting, give me a break, I also have used and tested many home plug devices (as well as some commercial grade equipment) and can tell you, the rediculous claims from wireless are true...
I think you meant to say "are not true"

you should also consider the need for lightning protection, a good surge/lightning protector will totally block the home plug unit.

Actually, a cheap surge protector that uses MOVs as a voltage clamp will block the HomePlug signal. A good surge protector that uses diode clamps will not block the HomePlug signal.

It'd be interesting to see an installer try to figure out why this technology would not work in my home - which used to be 3 separate apartments, and the utilities were never rewired after opening it up to one home. Of course, I'd never put someone through that scenario, but that would be a pretty common issue in my area - given that there are a large percentage of older homes that were converted to apartments for college use, then converted back to family homes as the colleges died off - all probably having the same issue that I have, which is 3+ electrical boxes/water meters/gas meters (and thusly not working with with power-plug networking)

lumpkin - you've tried it and it didn't work? Or do you just expect it not to work because of the 3 seperate electrical boxes?

lumpkin - you've tried it and it didn't work? Or do you just expect it not to work because of the 3 seperate electrical boxes?
I have not tried it, but I would hope it would not work, or the whole idea would be insecure. Allowing network traffic outside a home (past the main utility box) would seem to be a major problem. (prior reading told me that multiple breaker boxes would not work well with power line networking - thus the reason I had my house rewired for traditional ethernet cabling a couple years ago).

Tried and Failed

I bought the Powerline solution a few months ago. I was very excited about the possibility of "getting rid of Wireless". I plugged one into my DSL router in the Basement (finished and electrically wired after my house was built). The othe into my computer upstairs. The 2 plugs WOULD NOT communicate with one another. I took the plug from the basement and plugged it in everywhere else in the house and it worked fine. Not being an electrician, I am not sure why it did not work basement to anywhere else, but that was the sole reason I bought it, so I ended up returning it.

I have not tried it, but I would hope it would not work, or the whole idea would be insecure. Allowing network traffic outside a home (past the main utility box) would seem to be a major problem. (prior reading told me that multiple breaker boxes would not work well with power line networking - thus the reason I had my house rewired for traditional ethernet cabling a couple years ago).

It probably will work. The signal is strong enough to go as far as the transformer feeding your house (and probably a neighbor or two). Hence the need for the built in encryption.

Last edited:
I bought the Powerline solution a few months ago. I was very excited about the possibility of "getting rid of Wireless". I plugged one into my DSL router in the Basement (finished and electrically wired after my house was built). The othe into my computer upstairs. The 2 plugs WOULD NOT communicate with one another. I took the plug from the basement and plugged it in everywhere else in the house and it worked fine. Not being an electrician, I am not sure why it did not work basement to anywhere else, but that was the sole reason I bought it, so I ended up returning it.

Was it HomePlug or one of the "other" powerline solutions? There are some imitators out there that don't work as good (The Panasonic brand models and the 200 Mbps products from Netgear and D-Link that use a non-HomePlug chipset from a company called DS2).

It probably will work. The signal is strong enoght to go as far as the transformer feeding your house (and probably a neighbor or two). Hence the need for the built in encryption.

No it definetly WILL NOT work, the transformer will kill the signal, we are owned by a pwer company, I have tested this.

It probably will work. The signal is strong enough to go as far as the transformer feeding your house (and probably a neighbor or two). Hence the need for the built in encryption.

Actually you did hint that it would go past the transformer with the above statement, but its all good

Actually you did hint that it would go past the transformer with the above statement, but its all good

My last house had four drops coming from the transformer up on the pole to each of the homes that shared that corner where the pole was. My personal visual inspection showed that all four of those drops had continuity amongst them outside of the transformer.

My last house had four drops coming from the transformer up on the pole to each of the homes that shared that corner where the pole was. My personal visual inspection showed that all four of those drops had continuity amongst them outside of the transformer.

Yeah, that's what I was hinting at. My current neighborhood has two houses sharing a transformer and a previous one had three. All the houses that share a transformer could possibly "see" each other's HomePlug network. This is why the 56bit DES encryption is built into HomePlug 1.0 devices (and 128bit AES into HomePlug AV devices) to secure your network. Sorry if you misunderstood my previous statement.

Not sure how this thread migrated over from the Technical forum (where I originally opened it) to over here in the HD forum.

I guess a moderator did it, but I can't understand why. HomePlug doesn't have anything to do with HD. Sure its only available on the HD boxes, but that can be said for a lot of things that we discuss over in the technical forum.

I was kinda hoping it would have become a sticky in the tech forum, but that never happened.

Hey Everyone,

I'm just stumbling across this and want to try it out ASAP...I have a wireless internet using a netgear wireless router. Will something like this work for me? I'm confused about the USB connection on this device (link below), do all of these have an ethernet connection on them as well as the USB or do I need to find one specifically for Ethernet? Thanks.

12Mbs Homeplug USB Powerline Network Adapter NEW - eBay (item 290209102674 end time Mar-01-08 09:46:03 PST)

You need one with an Ethernet port. You would plug it into an open Ethernet port on your router. I wouldn't trust that item that you have showing anyway. There is no 12Mbps HomePlug, only 14Mbps, and I've never seen that one before. A good place to get one cheap isNewegg.com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts