HomePlug built into the 622, How cool is that?

So i'm assuming it would work to use one of the AV or HD setups if you used it to plug into the ethernet port of the DVR correct? So instead of using the built-in homeplug, i could just use a setup like it wasn't built in right?

Yeah, that would work since you would be connecting to the ethernet port.

You just can't get a HomePlugAV chip to talk to the HomPlug 1.0 chip that is built into the 722/622.

Yeah, that pretty much is the "work around" for the security issue. The fix would be for Dish to implement a way to set the network password on their HomePlug chip.

This connection was extremely easy. I am new to using POE but it looks like a very good technology.

Can't wait for my 722 so my 622 will have phone connection which will feed my 722 for caller ID. I am pretty sure this is what I have read.

Cyclone, I found a homeplug adapter that uses a USB connection instead of a cat5 connection. (Picture the xe102 but with a USB slot). Would such a device work? Given that it is USB, I imagine that it would connect directly to a computer or USB hub. Can those devices assign an IP even though its over USB instead of cat5? The product in question has an install disc and advertises the ability for other laptops and computers to access the internet.

Cyclone, I found a homeplug adapter that uses a USB connection instead of a cat5 connection. (Picture the xe102 but with a USB slot). Would such a device work? Given that it is USB, I imagine that it would connect directly to a computer or USB hub. Can those devices assign an IP even though its over USB instead of cat5? The product in question has an install disc and advertises the ability for other laptops and computers to access the internet.
I guess it could work. But it would have to be on the router's end and it would be the router that would need to be able to handle IP traffic on a USB interface. I'm nearly 100% certain that Dish does not support IP connectivity over the USB ports on their receivers. So it would not be your PLID that would be the problem but the receiver.

Considering that the old Cat5 solution is pretty stable and cheap, I would still have to recommend that approach. If you can find me a model number or brand name for the USB adapter I'd like to read more about it.

I guess it could work. But it would have to be on the router's end and it would be the router that would need to be able to handle IP traffic on a USB interface. I'm nearly 100% certain that Dish does not support IP connectivity over the USB ports on their receivers. So it would not be your PLID that would be the problem but the receiver.

Considering that the old Cat5 solution is pretty stable and cheap, I would still have to recommend that approach. If you can find me a model number or brand name for the USB adapter I'd like to read more about it.

I was referring to installing the homeplug adapter on the computer end as opposed to the receiver as the receiver has homeplug in the power cord. It's just that since this particular adapter uses USB and not cat5, I'm concerned about its functionality here. I haven't seen many routers that use USB so this is probably for connecting to a computer. LINK

On another note. Here is a cool product that I saw on a friends desk today.

TII Network Technologies

Its a power strip with a HomePlug modem built into it. You just plug the powestrip into the wall, and use its build in ethernet jack for communications and its power outlets to power your electronics. Pretty cool.[/quote]

I found a similar product for the other end of things on the PC/modem side made by the same company (here's all the products that I think may apply), pretty cool stuff:

http://www.tiinettech.com/datasheets/Home_Networking/HNP6-ET_IDS.pdf
-or-
http://www.tiinettech.com/datasheets/Home_Networking/HNP6L-ET_IDS.pdf
-and-
http://www.tiinettech.com/datasheets/Home_Networking/HNP6-X-T-S_IDS.pdf

Cyclone, you're gonna make me a rich man! I haven't explored DishComm or HomePlug but this opens up all kinds of upsells. I can sell the homeplug adapter, homeplug routers, multiple homeplugs for homeowners wanting secure networking, etc. I sell TII surge protectors which have homeplug so if a customer buys the homeplug adaptor but wants surge protection, he'll need to buy my surge and take that Monster back to the store. I've been doing so many 722 installs I can probably spike my average upsell with this. Now that I see that the phone line fee comes off with networking and that DOD is available, I can really push these things.

Most importantly, this ought to help with customer retention as Cox doesn't have VOD out here and none of their video stuff is broadband capable.

Would be awesome if DISH offered email that could be sent to your receiver and let you know onscreen you have email.

Hey, do you sell both the HNP6-X-T-S (or just the plain HNP6) which would provide the signal to the 622, and the HNP6-ET or HNP6L-ET which would supply the signal from the modem to the electrical system?

I've seen the plain HNP6'S offered a few places, but can't find any of the others.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I dont mean to whore your thread here, but this is the first I have ever heard of a homeplug and how it works..after doing some looking for them I found one that is supposed to be XBOX 360 compatible. Do any of you know anyone that has theirs hooked up via homeplug?

Not trying to hijack this thread but to the OP have you actually tested those speeds you are posting, give me a break, I also have used and tested many home plug devices (as well as some commercial grade equipment) and can tell you, the rediculous claims from wireless are true, but the home plug devices are WAY more over rated speed wise than any wireless device, and you should also consider the need for lightning protection, a good surge/lightning protector will totally block the home plug unit. Just some facts people should know, not that I dont think its a good concept, but thats all bpl will ever really be IMHO a good concept I would like to power my equipment too without ever having to actually run power to it, that would be a cool concept, oh wait that technology exists today, its called a microwave, sorry couldnt resist.

Awesome find Cyclone! I have been using a cheap set of 14mbps homeplug ($20 each) devices for the past month and was thinking of buying a third so that I could connect my 722 unit.

Once I read your post, I looked at my connection status, and presto! I'm already online. I have been assigned an IP address by my router and I can use the online features!

Now I don't have to worry with a 50ft cat5 cable every month. I'm very impressed with the foresight of Dish Network. I even have my Dish hooked up to an old surge protector, and it works just fine.

This just made my month!

This is why I stated a "good" surge protector, either a) you dont have a surge protector at all and its just a power strip or b) your surge protector wont stop a static charge much less a surge of any type. Ive worked in the computer business for a long time and it never ceases to amaze me how many people think they have surge protectors on there computers only to find out all they have is a pwer strip to get one outlet into 5-6 outlets. Not saying this applies to you, but either way your device is not very well protected.

You are probably right, about the power strip/surge protector, but the homeplug feature is so cool that I will most likely keep it that way. I may go ahead and change my dvd player and sound system to another surge protector, but the 722 will stay where it is.

Hey guys, I dont mean to whore your thread here, but this is the first I have ever heard of a homeplug and how it works..after doing some looking for them I found one that is supposed to be XBOX 360 compatible. Do any of you know anyone that has theirs hooked up via homeplug?

Yes, any device with an Ethernet port can be connected to a HomePlug powerline to Ethernet bridge. I've had my PS2 connected via HomePlug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts