Honda Ridgeline - Any opinions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new vechicle and I am leaning twards a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. It's a combo Pickup Truck / SUV that drives like a sedan.

ridge.jpg

If you have not seen one of these before, check out Hondays website, it is really cool and unlike any other SUV or Pickup truck. There is a full size trunk under the pickup bed in the back.

Retail on this the model I want is $31,490
With XM Radio, GPS Navigation System and Moon Roof it is $34,640

I am trying to decide if I should go with the package with the XM Radio and Navigation system.

I already have XM Radio (as well as Sirius) in my 1997 Mecury Mountaineer. And I have been wanting a navigation system for awhile. The big draw back on the XM Radio is it is built into the truck, I like being able to pop out the radio and use it in the house, in the boombox, or even at work. I also like having the latest and greatest technology, so I dont know if I can deal with a built in XM Radio. Of course a built in XM Radio will sound and look better then a Skyfi attached to the dashboard.

I do want a navigation system, but the drawback of this system is it only does navigation, you can't use it for other things such as playing back DVD's or watching TV. I would like to have those features for the kids (My truck currently has a 7 Inch pop down monitor in the back seat with Playstation 2 and Nintendo 64 for the kids)

I could care less about the moonroof. I have one on my truck now and never really use it.

The difference in price between the two models is $3,150 Do you think I should look at aftermarket Navigation systems and use an external XM, or would I be better off by everything installed by the factory.

Also I am undecided if I want this in the red color shown above or a midnight black color. My wife say black gets dirty faster.

Also if you know anything about the Ridgeline good or bad please let me know, I have checked out most of the reviews online and so everything has been glowing. About the only thing I wish was better on it was the gas millage whixh is 16 City / 24 Highway. But this seems to be middle of the road and not too bad.

Any thoughts opinions and suggestions are welcomed. :)

You can add the DVD system as an accessory. http://www.handaaccessories.com/ridgeline.html

Don't buy the accessory from the dealer. They charge more. I buy my Honda accessories from http://www.handaaccessories.com . Have the dealer install it. And don't let the dealership give you that crap that if you would have bought that accessory from the dealership you would have gotten a 3 year warranty, instead of a one year warranty. If you have problems with it within the first three years, just take it to a different Honda dealer, they won't know whether it was bought from the dealership or online. By the way, H and A is a Honda Dealership.

It's a Honda for starters. Very good quality and reliability. Will run forever. The vehicle comes with a donut for a spare, but you can put in a full size. I test drove it for a couple of hours and was very impressed.

ardbell said:
You can add the DVD system as an accessory. http://www.handaaccessories.com/ridgeline.html

I was just actually looking at this site and going through the installation manuals. :)

$2000 for a DVD unit is kind of high as I only paid $1,400 for the one I have no installed. But it is always an option.

Whats pissing me off is I can find no kind of review or instructions on the navigation system, nor the audio system.

Like on the Navigation system, is it display only or does it give you verbal turn by turn instructions. And as far as the audio goes does this CD player on the deluxe stereo play MP3's like the lower end model does and so on...

I am planning on taking one out tommorow which should answer these questions, (when I went before they had no units in stock with the nav and XM systems) but I want to know now. :)

I am also going to call my bank and see about financing it through them since we have my wifes car now through them as well as 2 bank accounts with them. :)

I test drove one with a navigation system. It does give you turn by turn with voice on or off. In fact, what was kind of funny is I missed the turn on purpose and the voice, female by the way, said "If possible make a U-Turn".

I don't think any of the Ridgeline Models play MP3's. That is probably why they offer the MP3 player attachment.

Just a Tip, get the Consumer Reports New Car Buying Kit. It will tell you what the dealer actually paid for the vehicle, which most of the time it is even less than the Invoice price. That way you can negotiate from there. If you don't want to to that. Here are the Invoice prices for the Ridgeline:
RT: $24,922*
RTS: $27,056*
RTL: $28,328*
RTL: with moonroof and xm $29,361*
RTL: with moonroof xm and NAV $31,159*

Those prices do not include $515 which is Destination charges which you will never get out of paying.

These trucks aren't selling as well as they should because Honda isn't promoting them as much as they should.

Rules of buying:
1. Show the dealer you Car Buying Kit if you have it.
2. Don't act desperate. Be hesitant
3. Negotiate the price from the car buying kit if you have it, if not start from the invoice price.
4. If the dealer added crap on the vehicle like pinstriping or rust protection, as an example, tell him/her your not paying extra for it.
5. Don't buy the fabric protection crap or the VIN etching crap, you can get that from a local auto parts store
6. They will probably offer and extended warranty plan. Buy it later if you want to. I know Curryhonda sells it and they will sell it cheaper.
7. If you have a trade in, negotiate that first. Then negotiate the new vehicle.
8. Don't let them ask you what do you want your payment to be. That is how they always get you.

Thanks Ardbell. :)

I found another great forum with all kind of Ridgeline stuff I have been reading it all afternoon. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/

I have also been playing tag with two dealers. Best price so far with everything is $35,155 including the destination charge. Sounds like they are willing to come down more but they want to meet face to face.

Thanks for the good info. :)

If you don't mind me asking:
What model did you choose?
What accessories did you add?
Does that price include installation of the accessories?

The RTl with moon Roof XM and NAV

No additional accessories.

I am confident I can chew them down another $2000 or so.

I like that it's a Honda.

I'm not too keen on the look of the truck though. :(

My stepfather, about 2 months ago, purchased a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab with the Hemi. It was a demo, but he was able to get it for $24k. Not bad at all. He traded in their 1997 Mountaineer as well.

One thing I don't like about Hondas though is their higher price. That truck would be nice if it was about $3000-4000 cheaper.

I haven't looked yet, but what size engine does the Ridgeline come with?

like i said before, it is a nice truck. sweet looking indeed, but its only set back is that it is not made in the good ole U S of A.

Well folks...

I GOT ONE. :)

This is by far the coolest motor vechical I have ever driven!

I paid $33,000 even (which was over $2,000 off the sticker price) thanks to the creative negoatiating of my wife (aka prize goddess)

After taking it for a test drive, we parked it in front of the dealership and went inside to wheel and deal (and fill out the paperwork) as we sat at the desk many people stopped to look at it, and another salesman came in and asked for the keys as another family wanted it. (they were all standing outside it and the father was actually sitting in the truck as I forgot to lock the door when I got out. I spoke up and said "sorry it's been sold" the salesguy went outside and I could see the disapointment in their face. I grabed the key and pressed the lock button to make sure no one else was climbing in my truck. :)

As we were sitting there filling out the paper work another couple came in and were talking about my truck and how they wanted one. They actually PURCHASED one exactly like mine for the full sticker price, and it could be up to 30 days before they get it. I was smiling from ear to ear.

After sitting there for awhile more waiting I remembered I still had the key so I went out and sat in the truck, I played more with the navigation system and the XM radio. I was surprised that the XM Radio was activated. I set up the navigation system, so when you press the Home button is goes to my house. I was happy. :)

It was funny, the sales guy knew nothing about the truck, my wife and I were telling him about features the truck had, and he was loving it.

The navigation system is so cool, its more then a navigation system, it is an entire vechicle system controler. And besides having a touch screen it is also voice activated. By pressing the voice button on the stearing wheels I spoke "Closest Resturant" in a second a list of local resturants was displayed. I touched one and it was mapped out. As we were not actually going there the computer kept modifying the instructions on how to get there. :)

The system has so many commands you can give to it, and it recognized all my commands without a problem. You can even give specific commands like "Closest Korean Resturant" and it will actually find you a Korean Resturant. (BTW the system even has resturant reviews built in giving you avg pre meal costs, a rank and more very cool)

Plus you can also request other things besides resturants. Such as "Electronics Store" and the 10 closest electronics stores were displayed.

As I mentioned before, the navigation system does a lot more then just navigation, it has a calculator built in (And you can give it voice commands like what is 5 plus 5 and it works!) it also controls the heat and air conditioning and also the radio and once again all features work via the touch screen and via voice commands.

If you are looking at these but are not sure you want the navigatior because of the cost, get it, it is worth it, there are so many features I Have not even got into yet.

I was supposed to take the truck home tonight but they couldn't get to it to detail it and do all the prep, so now I got to wait until Monday to take the truck home. This was kind of disapointing, but I did not go there today and expect to take it home today.

BTW they had a red one and black one also but those did not have the navigator option. I did not care for the red or the black, but really liked the silver one they had with the NAV. So I got the silver one. :)

They gave me the owners manuals for the truck and I have been reading all night just about the features of the navigator.

I should add that the ride on this thing is unbelievable it is so smooth, you would never know you were in a truck. About the only thing I didn't like about it was the wierd plastic door pull inside the truck, it just looks cheesy.

I think I am really going to love this truck, although I get the feeling my wife will be borrowing it a lot when she goes to various company meetings and trainging seminars she must attend. She really likes the navigator too. :)

I will post more once I have it. :)

Thanks for all your help all (especially ardbell) :)

Oh one other thing I should note, a few people have PMed me telling me I should not get this truck instead I should buy American. While it is a Honda this truck is made in the USA (In California) so it is American Made (Just the parent company is not an american company)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts