Honda Ridgeline - Any opinions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem. I didn't realize the navigation was voice activated. I guess it didn't like my voice, I couldn't get that to work. When I test drove it I went without the sales guy and I guess he got into a little bit of trouble for letting me do that. And as far as the price being more than a Dodge, my feeling is you get what you pay for. That Honda will hold together a lot longer than the Dodge truck and will also hold its value. If you don't believe me about Honda's and their reliability and quality check Consumer Reports, edmunds, car & Driver etc. They will all mention the high quality and reliability. Here is a good hint to see how good a vehicle Make is. Drive around to the different dealerships, Ford,Chevy, Honda, Toyota etc. See how big their repair garage is and how many mechanics they have working. You should see a big difference between say Honda and Ford etc...

Consumer Reports description of Honda Ridgeline and Dodge Ram 1500
Honda Ridgeline:
The Ridgeline, Honda's first pickup truck, is a crew-cab based on the Honda Pilot. Unlike traditional pickups, the ride is supple and steady, and handling is quite agile. It includes a five-foot-long cargo bed that's made from a composite material and has no wheel arch intrusion. The cab is roomy and the rear seats flip up to create storage space. Below the cargo bed is an all-weather, lockable trunk. The tailgate can open two ways: down and sideways. Towing is rated at 5,000 pounds, and payload is a generous 1,500 pounds. The AWD system is permanent and lacks a low range. Stability control is standard.

Dodge Ram 1500
The overly hyped 5.7-liter Hemi V8 makes the Ram fairly quick but also very thirsty, averaging a paltry 11 mpg. The 4.7-liter V8 and automatic transmission make a reasonably smooth combination. The pronounced exhaust note sounds good to some. The Ram falls short of competing trucks, with a jittery ride, cumbersome handling, and a tight rear seat in the crew cab. Braking performance was only adequate, with long stops. The view over the towering hood impeded visibility for short drivers. The cargo bed in the crew-cab version is longer than competing models.

By the way Scott, if you need someone to work for you I'm available. Apparently, your making a lot more money than I am. Only way I could afford a Ridgeline is to lease it. I'll be getting a CR-V in the fall. That is about as much Honda as I can afford.

Neutron:
I was trying to bust on Dodge's. I hope you didn't take any offence.

Yup the voice navigation worked great for me, in fact it surprised the sales guy who never seen it work before.:)

Tommorow I will not be able to work I am going to be so excited because after work I am picking it up. :D

Two accessories you must get.

Fog Lights which will increase the coolness factor even more. Who cares if you never have fog to worry about.

Rear View Camera, since you have the navigation it hooks into it so when you back up you can see what's behind you on the navigation screen. Too bad it only works in reverse.

Good going, Scott. I bought the Honda Element a couple of months ago and love it (very functional, o.k. gas mileage, fun, nice lifestyle perks like the aux iPod jack on the dash and built-in XM radio--and running boards, roof rack and fog lights, all of which I thought were 'extraneous' but I've actually used already). Had my previous Honda (an Acura actually) for 12 years and its still going strong in the hands of friends that moved to Portland...Honda build things right. Just ask Consumer Reports.

And, yes, my Element was built in Ohio. Nice. Better than many "American" cars on the parts/assembly breakdown, actually. Some folks need to wake up and read their fine print before casting stones...their GM was probably mostly built in Mexico with parts made in Germany or Japan.

I picked it up last night. :)

Havent driven it much, but spent a few hours in it setting everything up, again the navigation system is massive and does so much more then just Navigation.

As I was sitting in my truck I figured out the Voice Command feature of the unit. At first I couldnt get it to work because I was yelling my commands and also I was spacing out my words. However when I spoke at normal volume levels and spoke to the computer like I was speaking to someone else it worked (I must have a sensitive computer) :D

The navigation system told me a different way to get to work this morning which I never knew about, but I didnt take it as I was running behind and didnt want to be late.

About the only thing the navigation system is missing is Bluetooth intergration. It would be cool if my cell phone rag and I was able to talk on the phone without ever touching my cell phone.

I have been showing it off to my co workers all morning. :)

Honda is very reliable and you should have many years of satisfactory results from that truck you bought. I am surprised Honda never made a truck before now. Toyota's are also very good trucks. What size engine do you have? It looks futuristic.

shanewalker said:
And, yes, my Element was built in Ohio. Nice.
As my company produces coils of galvanized steel for automobile manufacturers (including the Honda plants in Ohio), let me say, "Thank you for making it possible for me to pay for my Satellite habit.":D

Yes the Navigation system rocks. I am so glad I did not go for an aftermarket navigaton system now, every day I use it I find new features that I did not see before. The Navigation system oes far beyond just giving you directions.

I am loving it so far. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes the Navigation system rocks. I am so glad I did not go for an aftermarket navigaton system now, every day I use it I find new features that I did not see before. The Navigation system oes far beyond just giving you directions.

I am loving it so far. :)

YOU'RE SCREWED !

I had a 2000 Odyssey with Navigation, then a 2003 Acura MDX w/Nav. - then bought a 2004 Prius for my daughters w/Nav. Even though Toyota/Lexus Nav systems are rated a close second to Honda, it wasn't nearly as intuitive as the Honda Nav. Traded the Prius in on an Accord Coupe with Nav.

Every car you get for the rest of your life must have a Honda Navigation system. ;)

BTW - Talked my Dad into an Acura TL and now he won't look at any car without Honda Nav. either (and he's somewhat of a technophobe) - this is the same guy that used to tell me "It may be made in America, but the profits go straight to Tokyo!"

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yup the voice navigation worked great for me, in fact it surprised the sales guy who never seen it work before.:)

Tommorow I will not be able to work I am going to be so excited because after work I am picking it up. :D

The voice activation is cool, but the novelty wears off if you are regularly toting the kids. You have to get everyone to quit talking before you give the command or you get all kinds of goofy results.

But every time someone new gets in, it is still cool to say "Show me the nearest Italian Restaurant" and have it bring them up.

Well, since I've read this thread, I think I want one too.... Pretty nice vehicle! I've been waiting for this to hit the streets and starting to get 'real world' reviews since I saw it on some new car tv piece from the big auto show. A truck w/ a trunk! That's just friggin cool!

Congrats! :) I spent some time in one last time I took my Civic in for service....what a nice truck. When my friends who are big into 'Texas' trucks (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) say it looks weird, then I know it's something I like. I am probably one of the only people in Texas who DOESN'T want a big F-350 Dualie driving around the city....

Wish I could swing one of those, but the S2000 is higher on my priority list, and I could only afford the 04 Civic Coupe....

Please let us know in the coming months how it shakes out!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Oh one other thing I should note, a few people have PMed me telling me I should not get this truck instead I should buy American. While it is a Honda this truck is made in the USA (In California) so it is American Made (Just the parent company is not an american company)

Nope. The Ridgeline is actually built in Canada. These are nice vehicles but the lack of a solid rear axle and a V8 will hurt them in sales against real trucks. I suspect that Honda isn't too concerned about that though as their going after people who live in the city and just need something to haul lighter loads and payload around.

I know it would never happen but I'd like to see Honda come out with a diesel engine option for the Ridgeline. Plenty of torque, great mileage, and long engine life would be great.

I have drivin and transported about a half a dozen Ridgelines and I can say that I am impresssed witht he handling, power and the ride. Has a lot going for it and sales are hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)