Hooking AZbox up to home network (help)

pokey31

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
Pickerington, OH
I want to be able to access my pc from my azbox. As i'm sure other people do as well.

My azbox has a good internet connection. It is hooked to my router via a straight cat 5 cable. My other 2 computers are hooked to the router wirelessly. Both of my pc's (both using windows vista) recognize each other and I can share files between the 2.

On my azbox, in the network settings, I have enabled everything except the dynamic...option.

in the file sharing option my settings are WORKGOUP, MMP, root, passwd.

When i clicked execute i was able to sign into my azbox via my laptop. However, when i go to "music or video" on my azbox, and click on "network" is does not recognize any of my pc's or files in the network....it takes me to the generic "mygroup" file, then attempts to connect for a bit, then backs out to the main menu.

I have the latest firmware update.

Is this a linux/windows vista issue?

I have googled, and searched threads on here for 24 hours and i can't find a remedy. Can anyone provide a link or some instructions on what I may need to do differently......surely I'm not the only one having this problem.

Thanks in advance!

I believe this info is so you can access the AZBox from the "outside".
I think you need to change the Server, Name & Password for that of 1 of the other Servers.
I am assuming your "workgroup" is actually named "WORKGROUP".
Make sense?

I don't have a AZbox but I see that the box is Linux and I think you can't see NTFS file system on your PC's. You might have to make a shared partition that is Fat32 on the PC's in question. But again I not familiar with the AZbox maybe it has appilcation to see NTFS partitions from network. That's my guess.

I believe this info is so you can access the AZBox from the "outside".
I think you need to change the Server, Name & Password for that of 1 of the other Servers.
I am assuming your "workgroup" is actually named "WORKGROUP".
Make sense?

yes, my workgroup is actually named "WORKGROUP".

Are you saying that I need to change the Server, Name and Password on my azbox or my home network?

If i need to change those settings on my azbox, I can't find them.

The Azbox sees the shared NTFS resources just fine. I have no trouble logging into my shared movies from the Azbox, for example, using Username/Password setup in WinXP.

Thanks brent, I thought i read somewhere that it might be a ntfs/fat problem, it's good to know that isn't the problem.

It could possibly be how I have my network setup. Did you change any settings on your azbox, or did it simply find your network when you went to "music", then "network".

My network is setup as the following: My computer is ComputerA (wirelessly connected to the linksys router), My wifes laptop is ComputerB (wirelessly connected to the linksys router). My AZbox is cat5 connected to the linksys router. I have file sharing turned on on both the ComputerA and ComputerB. When I am on computerB, I can access shared files off of ComputerA with no problems. When i map my network ComputerA recognizes ComputerB and vice Versa., but the azbox doesn't recognize any of them.

Are you in the "File Management" menu or the "Settings" menu?

Try...
Home
File Management
Network

I WAS in setting, until you pointed me in the right direction. I went to file manager, network, then hit menu, and manually input the ip address of the computer i was wanting to view videos from and whalla!

The video was taken off of my twinhan card onto an external HD. It was only a 4:2:0 video and it wasn't playing very smoothly (almost like i had it in slow mo). Probably because the computer i was connecting to is linked up only with wireless-G. I might be tempted to hardwire my pc to my router, the only problem is that it is 2 stories below and their is no easy way to run cables from the 2nd floor to the basement aesthetically.

Yeah, i figured that might be a part of the snag too. I plan on getting a 1TB external drive for the azbox in the next few weeks, so hopefully I won't really need to grab stuff off of my computer to watch. I just got my azbox last week, after months of salivating over these threads on here. Last week was my first week of watching college football on it, and I must say that I really enjoyed getting every feed instead of half of them. Hopefully, I will have it all set up soon to do everything it was designed to do. Thanks guys for you help!

I want to be able to access my pc from my azbox. As i'm sure other people do as well.

My azbox has a good internet connection. It is hooked to my router via a straight cat 5 cable. My other 2 computers are hooked to the router wirelessly. Both of my pc's (both using windows vista) recognize each other and I can share files between the 2.

On my azbox, in the network settings, I have enabled everything except the dynamic...option.

When i clicked execute i was able to sign into my azbox via my laptop. However, when i go to "music or video" on my azbox, and click on "network" is does not recognize any of my pc's or files in the network....it takes me to the generic "mygroup" file, then attempts to connect for a bit, then backs out to the main menu.

I have the latest firmware update.

Is this a linux/windows vista issue?

I have googled, and searched threads on here for 24 hours and i can't find a remedy. Can anyone provide a link or some instructions on what I may need to do differently......surely I'm not the only one having this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Pokey,

I believe that you mean that you want to access your AZBox to manage files within it via your PC. You stated this the other way around and I don't think that is possible.

If you want to connect directly to your AZBox from the PC, all you should need is an Ethernet cable, but it will need to be a crossover type, not pin for pin.

If you connect the AZBox wired to yur router, you need to use a standard Ethernet cable. The AZBox Premium can do WiFi and that is a totally new ballgame for connection opportunities.

Which direction are you headed? WiFi between the Premium and wireless router or direct Ethernet connection between PC and AZBox? It is going to make a difference.

The direct, hardwired connection between the PC and the AZBox should be identical regardless if the model is the Elite or the Premium..

The Premium has the capabilities for WiFi and that is a special case.

Check the manual for the AZBox available here on the fourm - Manuals Section. You will need a special upgrade for your Adobe Reader so that it can convert Korean Fonts to English, so be advised of this if you detect such a message (the upgrade is free - and requires just a few minuts to load).

There is a lot more involved than your may realize, but with some research, you will be able to figure it out. Sorry, I am not a guru in this area, but I was able to make it work through WiFi I don't think that I should try to give much more advice than this as I may mislead you. I don't wish to do that, so simply just know that it can be done and then go searching for the information as to how.

RADAR

Last edited:
Thanks AcWX...

I have the elite hooked to the router. I was able on my first try to access my azbox from my pc, what I was having problems with was accessing my pc files from my azbox. I had a football game on one of my pc harddrives that I was wanting to pull up on the azbox and watch. It was just a matter of going to the file manager section of the azbox and plugging the ip address of my pc in the settings.

I was unsure when to use a cat-5 crossover, but I think you answered that question......just when hooking a pc directly to the azbox.

Something neat that I did find out through my research, is that there is a file or a plug in out there that will let you access the files on your friends azboxes. Of course, I want to be able to master the easy setup stuff before I even think about learning to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)