Hooking reciever to internet

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I have a 722 and verizon dsl. What do I need to do to hook reciever to internet? I bought a Westell Wirespeed 2200 on ebay but did not recieve a power cord for it and am still not sure if that is what I needed anyhow.

Is that Westell thing a DSL modem? In addition to a DSL modem, you need a router. The DSL modem accepts the DSL phone cable and it in turn is connected to the router. All other internet capable devices are then connected to the router. Here are your options for connecting the 722:

1) connect your 722's ethernet port to a router with cat5 or cat6 cable.
2) if you have a wireless router, connect your 722's ethernet port to a wireless game adapter or other wireless bridge that bridges to the wireless router.
3) the 722 has built-in homeplug, so acquire a homeplug kit, plug it into an electrical outlet near the router, and connect the homeplug cat 5 cable to the router.

The westell is a modem and router. Just did a search on it and was for use with south bell only. Will call verizon and see about getting one from them. Not sure what a homeplug is?

Hello all

UH. Hello.

Is that Westell thing a DSL modem? In addition to a DSL modem, you need a router. The DSL modem accepts the DSL phone cable and it in turn is connected to the router. All other internet capable devices are then connected to the router. Here are your options for connecting the 722:

1) connect your 722's ethernet port to a router with cat5 or cat6 cable.
2) if you have a wireless router, connect your 722's ethernet port to a wireless game adapter or other wireless bridge that bridges to the wireless router.
3) the 722 has built-in homeplug, so acquire a homeplug kit, plug it into an electrical outlet near the router, and connect the homeplug cat 5 cable to the router.

Here is one of many threads on HomePlug. It doesn't mention the 722, but as previously stated, it has HomePlug built in. Good luck and be sure to let us know if you need more help.;)

a benefit of hooking up your 622 or 722 to your network is that you no longer would need a telephone line hooked up to your dvr to avoid the extra monthly charge. plus you would be able to access services available now and in the future online.

a benefit of hooking up your 622 or 722 to your network is that you no longer would need a telephone line hooked up to your dvr to avoid the extra monthly charge. plus you would be able to access services available now and in the future online.

If you keep the phone line connected, is there a confilict between home plug & the phone line? I'd really like to keep the caller id capability :)

If you keep the phone line connected, is there a confilict between home plug & the phone line? I'd really like to keep the caller id capability :)

I have my 722 hooked up to a HomePlug adapter via the ethernet port and my caller id works just fine. No phone line. I use the ethernet port because I have the AC cord plugged into a surge protector instead of straight to an outlet.. HomePlug doesn't function through most surge protectors. So not sure if caller id would work through the power plugged directly to an outlet only connection. Don't see why it wouldn't.

I have a stupid question as well . . . I will be running an Ethernet cable from my 622 to the first floor router, but how do you install / connect through a wall . . . clarifying --> are there wall plates that have Ethernet and coaxial inputs/outputs and when you buy that, is it just plug and play or are there other things you need to do; does that make sense?

I have my 722 hooked up to a HomePlug adapter via the ethernet port and my caller id works just fine. No phone line. I use the ethernet port because I have the AC cord plugged into a surge protector instead of straight to an outlet.. HomePlug doesn't function through most surge protectors. So not sure if caller id would work through the power plugged directly to an outlet only connection. Don't see why it wouldn't.

The home plug works off my surge protector. I must be lucky:)

I have a stupid question as well . . . I will be running an Ethernet cable from my 622 to the first floor router, but how do you install / connect through a wall . . . clarifying --> are there wall plates that have Ethernet and coaxial inputs/outputs and when you buy that, is it just plug and play or are there other things you need to do; does that make sense?

Plug and play. They come with software, but you don't really need it for the basic connections. I think the cd contains some monitering stuff. Just plug one into an outlet next to the router and connect it to one of the routers ports. Plug in the distant one next to the device you want on the lan and connect make the connection there and your done.

The home plug works off my surge protector. I must be lucky:)

It will on the cheaper ones. The more expensive ones that contain a high level of surge protection seem to be the ones that will not pass data. I use an el cheepo as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)