Hooper 3 Internet Connection

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nicemann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Phoenix
On the Hooper 3, does it accept WiFi for internet connection? I currently have a DirecTV Genie and they have a coax cable going to device seperate that plugs into my router. My router is on the opposite side of the house. Not sure if dish had anything like this. I think if it can connect to my router via WiFi I should be okay if not.

Thanks for the insight.

On the Hooper 3, does it accept WiFi for internet connection? I currently have a DirecTV Genie and they have a coax cable going to device seperate that plugs into my router. My router is on the opposite side of the house. Not sure if dish had anything like this. I think if it can connect to my router via WiFi I should be okay if not.

Thanks for the insight.

The device that DirecTV uses is called a DECA and it inserts internet into the coax MoCA network and is very useful if your wi-fi signal is weak at the receiver location. DISH has a similar device that's called a Hopper Internet Connector or HIC that would probably work nicely for you.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The device that DirecTV uses is called a DECA and it inserts internet into the coax MoCA network and is very useful if your wi-fi signal is weak at the receiver location. DISH has a similar device that's called a Hopper Internet Connector or HIC that would probably work nicely for you.

Thanks would love to see if I can get that installed when they come out to do my install for the regular service. Is this a special request I need to make ahead of the service? I prefer this over the Wifi, worked very well with DirecTV.

Thanks would love to see if I can get that installed when they come out to do my install for the regular service. Is this a special request I need to make ahead of the service? I prefer this over the Wifi, worked very well with DirecTV.
It's always wiser to get and ethernet connection than WiFi, particularly as you said, your router as at the other end of the house. The HIC hopefully can accomplish that, pending your layout, etc.

Reactions: JSheridan

Just make sure you mention the hopper internet connector to your technician. In my experience a lot of technicians overlooked it and a lot of newer technicians aren't as aware of it as they should be

If you are going with a local retailer just mention it to the tech or your contact person and they'll take care of you. If it's a DISH tech or sub contractor they might not know what it is or they might not have one on the truck. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
If you are going with a local retailer just mention it to the tech or your contact person and they'll take care of you. If it's a DISH tech or sub contractor they might not know what it is or they might not have one on the truck. :)
They better know what it is and they better have at least if not more than one on the truck since it's a standard item and listed as #1 in the connectivity hierarchy

No intention to hijack but this is hopefully on-subject and of interest.

Without getting into advanced router configuration which probably means buying a new router that can do it, is there a way to limit the bandwidth usage of the Hopper 3? We got my dad hooked up with Xfinity's 10Mbps service over the weekend, everything is great unless he decides to do a Dish-On-Demand movie. Those will pretty much saturate the entire Internet connection until the download completes.

Without getting into advanced router configuration which probably means buying a new router that can do it, is there a way to limit the bandwidth usage of the Hopper 3? We got my dad hooked up with Xfinity's 10Mbps service over the weekend, everything is great unless he decides to do a Dish-On-Demand movie. Those will pretty much saturate the entire Internet connection until the download completes.

I haven't had a router config being able to cap bandwidth.. but you could configure something like QOS (Quality of Service) and set the Hopper to the lowest priority. You're going to have to log into the router to configure it tho. Most, if not all relatively newer routers should have some kind of QOS setting.

He either needs a router that will do advanced QOS or something like it. You do not say whether the Hopper is connected via Wi-Fi or ethernet, which may affect the recommendations, so please let us know which.

I haven't had a router config being able to cap bandwidth.. but you could configure something like QOS (Quality of Service) and set the Hopper to the lowest priority. You're going to have to log into the router to configure it tho. Most, if not all relatively newer routers should have some kind of QOS setting.

Many do feature bandwidth management, but not always for both wi-fi and ethernet at the same time.

Sorry should have asked this before...If I have a Joey near my router, can I plug the Ethernet into the Joey 4K and will that give internet to the entire system or would the HIC be a better solution. I know I can swap the hopper and the joey but I really don't want the hopper in my kids room. (His room is right behind the router, so I can easily run the cable through that wall.

I am pretty sure you can't use a Joey to provide Internet to the Hopper and other Joes.

The router in my case is a Linksys WRT-310N, the connection to the Hopper is wired.

Reactions: JSheridan
I am pretty sure you can't use a Joey to provide Internet to the Hopper and other Joes.

The router in my case is a Linksys WRT-310N, the connection to the Hopper is wired.
That's true. You'd need a HIC, cabled from the wall plate/point of entry into the HIC, then cabled to the Joey via the pass through port, and attached to the router via Ethernet to the HIC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts