Hope for NEWBIE'S

Icarus1970

Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Got my Voom install earlier today.
Have been researching getting it for months. Was scared to take the plunge due to all the negative comments on this forum and others.
Then the 3 rooms for a $1 promotion came around and I could not pass it up. Scheduled my appoinmtment for today between 1 and 5 pm. Installer called @ 9 am and said he was on his way; have heard so much negative stuff about the installs I did not know what to expect, so when he came 4 hours early, I was excited!
He yanked my D* dish off the roof, placed the V* dish up there, attached an ota and I was good to go.
I admit, it did take a while for all the software updates and programming to download, but it was worth it.
I love it.
Have spent most of the afternoon watching DiscoveryHD.
But hey, I have the rest of the weekened to see what other goodies are in store for me.
So for all you naysayers out there, I can say, this install and service have gone off without a hitch! It took about 2 weeks after I got D* for all the software/install bugs to sort themselves out. This has been a breeze!
I love VOOM!
Hey, I even like Moov. Watch 'Tank' and you'll never have a need for a real fish tank again!!!
Long Live VOOM!!!!!!!

Same for my install almost week ago. They called prior to the install time and showed up early in the window. It did take a bit to get the receivers updated and program guide loaded, and a call to customer service to get all my channels. But everyone was helpful and prompt and all issues were resolved quickly. Just have a couple OTA issues that I haven't reported yet. Haven't watched them a lot so trying to get a better idea of how good/bad the OTA really is.

Jame, I am also in VA. Newport News.
Maybe we Virginians have the inside track to the effortless installs.
Very happy with ota as well.
I am only unable to pick up UPN and that's no great loss!
I am glad there are a few of us out there that have had these positive experiences and can say, "Yes, VOOM is a viable option!!!!" It was a blast cancelling D* a few minutes ago.
Va Va Voom Baby!!!!!!!

YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS
WELL LUCKY FOR YoU 3 successful installations in a week, i hope the honeymoon is better than mine with VOOM

Hey, Icarus 1970, glad to hear your install went without a hitch.

Enloy your HDTV!

About to watch HDTV under clear Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer!!!!
Enjoying this like I could not imagine!
Have found myself not watching the movie channels, Starz,HBO,etc. like I thought I would.
Equator is AWESOME.
DiscoveryHD is AWESOME.
Sigh.
Voom is a wonderful thing.

jame_g said:
Same for my install almost week ago. They called prior to the install time and showed up early in the window. It did take a bit to get the receivers updated and program guide loaded, and a call to customer service to get all my channels. But everyone was helpful and prompt and all issues were resolved quickly. Just have a couple OTA issues that I haven't reported yet. Haven't watched them a lot so trying to get a better idea of how good/bad the OTA really is.
I'm down in Fredericksburg (51+ miles) and pick-up the following stations:

WRIC-DT (22, 8-1)
WTVR-DT (25, 6-1)
WRLH-DT (26, 35-1)
WCVE-DT (42, 23-1)
WCVW-DT (44, 44-1)
WWBT-DT (54, 12-1)

WWBT-DT is by far the most powerful Richmond station, however it can be difficult to receive since their DTV antenna is several hundred feet lower than the other towers - height is more important than kWs at my distance. Also, WCVE-DT and WCVW-DT provide me with the strongest, most steady signal of all the Richmond stations. They are new to the DTV show and their encoders (or whatever they are doing) is superior to their competitors...at least at my location.

I'm not sure what antenna you're using, but Richmond appears to have relatively few reception issues. Personally, I would not use the VOOM provided Channel Master Stealth or Winegard Sensar II antennas nor would I use a diplexor, but that's just my preference. If you haven't already done so, pay a visit to the Richmond HDTV thread at the AVSFORUM: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=435750

stevesmall
YES VIRGINIA THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS

I do wish the PQ was better on some of the HD movies. I expected better than or at least equal to my DVDs, but sometimes it can be disappointing. Overall much better than SD though. And some movies and channels are awesome, although repetitive. (but you get that with every provider)

Icarus1970
Jame, I am also in VA. Newport News....
I am only unable to pick up UPN and that's no great loss!

I can get UPN sometimes, I wish it was more reliable as I do like some UPN shows. If I get desperate for a UPN fix I still have limited basic cable on one SD TV with my cable modem. (It's cheaper that way, thanks to the ripoff cable companies! No DSL in my neighborhood.)

riffjim4069
WWBT-DT is by far the most powerful Richmond station, however it can be difficult to receive since their DTV antenna is several hundred feet lower than the other towers

I do have some problems with WWBT. Leno keeps pixelating and freezing. But of course the Sunday morning religious programming that I don't care about is fine. Go figure.

- jame

jame_g said:
I do have some problems with WWBT. Leno keeps pixelating and freezing. But of course the Sunday morning religious programming that I don't care about is fine. Go figure.

- jame
I gave up on WWBT-DT since a) the NBC station out of DC comes in crystal clear and b) they weren't interested in helping since I have a Fredericksburg mailing address (almost 10 miles away). Ugh! Anyway, without a doubt they need to raise their DTV tower several hundred feet, but they have no plans to do so until they cease broadcasting their analog channel (2009 at the earliest). Also, they plan to return their UHF frequency (channel 54) and move their DTV station back down to VHF 12.

Lastly, we still don't have DSL in our area so we have been dependent on Adelphia for internet (digital) service. The local digitals come though just fine in-the-clear. Assuming they are providing digital locals...just as long as you maintain a basic or lifeline subscription, you should be able to receiver these stations if your HDTV has a built-in ATSC/QAM tuner. Check out the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4835166#post4835166

jame g - I am in Richmond also, and you are the closet person that I have seen here that has Voom. How about an invite for a demo after the holidays? I'm willing to have a look see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts