Hopper 2 & 3 Questions

OverRHeads

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Northern Arkansas
I currently have a 2HWS/3J (1.0) setup in my house. One of my Hoppers had a failed hard drive recently and had to be replaced. When I received the new Hopper with sling it had the new CUI installed. The instructions that came with it said to make sure all other Hoppers and Joeys were powered off so they can get the software update. I have waited three days (as I know some updated happen overnight) and only the Joey that is linked to the "New" Hopper has been updated to the new software. In addition, every time I turn that Joey on it has to go through the entire install and reboot sequence which takes 15-20 minutes. This last time it seems to be stuck and I am wondering if these early model Joey 1.0's are even compatible with the new software.

Questions:
  1. If I were to go with a new Hopper 3 system, I assume I would then need the H3 and 4 Joeys. Correct?
  2. Leaving programming out of the equation, what kind of difference would I see on my bill going from 2H/3J to 1H3/4J?
  3. As of now, the CSR told me that I am not eligible for the H3. However, after reading some posts on here, I bet the issue is that they think I am still on the western arc looking at 4 sats (as I was when the account was created). However, Dish came out when I got my Hoppers and installed a new dish looking at 3 sats on the EA. I think I can get that problem resolved via DIRT correct?
Thanks for the help!

Update:

I checked the rest of my Joeys and have another that must have been linked to the "New" Hopper. The image on the screen is stuck on "Warning Your receiver's memory is now being programmed. Do not disturb or unplug your receiver!" The third Joey that is connected to the "OLD" Hopper still works great and has the old interface.

Also, when the one Joey was working last night, it could not access recordings from the "Old" Hopper with the S541 software. It shows that the DVR is 38% full but doesn't display any recordings.

1. Yes
2. I think your bill would go down $2-$3 for the Hopper exchange, but then go up for the extra Joey. Don't remember if it's &7 or $10.

Your Joey Ones will be replaced with Twos, unless you want 4K, wireless, etc.

Yes, Dirt will help.

Reactions: OverRHeads
New Joeys won't be required for an HWS configuration, even with CUI. But the result may be so slow Dish revisits that and swaps out for Joey 2s.

Reactions: DWS44
New Joeys won't be required for an HWS configuration, even with CUI. But the result may be so slow Dish revisits that and swaps out for Joey 2s.

My Joey's finally finished their process after about 6 hours of rebooting, etc. One Joey (that previously had the old UI) now has the new interface with no access to the Hoppers recordings and the other (that had the new UI) is back to the old UI and had regained access to Hopper recordings.

My Joey's finally finished their process after about 6 hours of rebooting, etc. One Joey (that previously had the old UI) now has the new interface with no access to the Hoppers recordings and the other (that had the new UI) is back to the old UI and had regained access to Hopper recordings.
I'm in a similar situation as you. I have a 2 HWS 1 Joey system.

I received a replacement HWS yesterday that had the new CUI. I followed the instruction as you did. My 1 Joey is linked to the replacement HWS. Both have the new CUI.

The other HWS still has the old UI and I can see and view the DVR recordings on the HWS with the new CUI. However, neither the replacement HWS nor the Joey that both have the new CUI can see the DVR recordings on the HWS with the old UI.

Are you still having that problem?

Is there a solution?

Thanks.

I'm in a similar situation as you. I have a 2 HWS 1 Joey system.

I received a replacement HWS yesterday that had the new CUI. I followed the instruction as you did. My 1 Joey is linked to the replacement HWS. Both have the new CUI.

The other HWS still has the old UI and I can see and view the DVR recordings on the HWS with the new CUI. However, neither the replacement HWS nor the Joey that both have the new CUI can see the DVR recordings on the HWS with the old UI.

Are you still having that problem?

Is there a solution?

Thanks.

I ended up getting the problems fixed by forcing the HWS (that wasn't the replacement) to update to the new CUI. To do this do the following:
  1. Place all Hoppers and Joey's in standby mode (power off).
  2. On the HWS that needs the update go to settings - diagnostics - updates (going from memory here since I don't have that UI anymore) .
  3. While on this screen (that shows how many hours before going into standby mode) press the following buttons on the remote. Play, play, recall.
  4. This will bring up a box asking if you want to download now or later. Select now and then leave it alone for about 20-30 minutes while it does the update and reboot process.
Your problems should be solved!

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)