HOPPER 3 4K QUESTION

ejwhite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Minnesota
I have the Hopper with Sling. I now have a 4K TV and I also have Netflix. I know the Hopper 3 is the only Hopper that will handle 4K. I would like to know if the Hopper 3 will show Netfilx 4k if upgraded to the Netflix Premium or would it just come through in 1080?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, I am aware of that. My question is, if I upgrade Netflix will the Hopper 3 display the Netflix content as 4K? Or, will it just display 1080 like most content on Dish is?

I just checked and I get nothing off Netflix via an H3 in 4K. All titles that are said to be in 4K say HD. I go to the app on my TV and I get HDR & Ultra HD 4K. Got the World Cup in HDR UHD 4K.

I just checked and I get nothing off Netflix via an H3 in 4K. All titles that are said to be in 4K say HD. I go to the app on my TV and I get HDR & Ultra HD 4K. Got the World Cup in 4K.
Try a red button reboot on your H3. I’ve to do that more than once to get Netflix to play 4K.

Try a red button reboot on your H3. I’ve to do that more than once to get Netflix to play 4K.

What a strange world this is. Since I have gotten this unit last May, I have Red Button, Pulled the Plug & Rebooted from the Tools, and still no 4K. BUT from your suggestion I did a RBR and there they are. BUT, again, you have to wait for the box and TV to "talk" or they are HD. I went back to check again and the TV didn't go black and come back and they were HD, then the flash and UHD. Looks like a tad of a Handshake issue . . . I had something like this with my 2008 DLP when 1080i/p came out. The DISH box took its time acknowledging that the TV was capable. Also, I only get UHD and no HDR. Yet, since the WC was in it.

Thanks for the nudge. I would have thought, "Not yet", maybe with U518 . . .

What a strange world this is. Since I have gotten this unit last May, I have Red Button, Pulled the Plug & Rebooted from the Tools, and still no 4K. BUT from your suggestion I did a RBR and there they are. BUT, again, you have to wait for the box and TV to "talk" or they are HD. I went back to check again and the TV didn't go black and come back and they were HD, then the flash and UHD. Looks like a tad of a Handshake issue . . . I had something like this with my 2008 DLP when 1080i/p came out. The DISH box took its time acknowledging that the TV was capable. Also, I only get UHD and no HDR. Yet, since the WC was in it.

Thanks for the nudge. I would have thought, "Not yet", maybe with U518 . . .
World Cup was HDR on a special channel, as was the last Winter Olympics. The Netflix app on the Hopper doesn't seem to be HDR capable...

Well since all this I only got 4K when I played with it during this conversation. Hadn't been able to get it since. It's easier to just use the TV app with guaranteed 4K & HDR. Plus the PQ is better.

Sent from my SM-T280 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: HiDefRev