Hopper 3 and Wally

Given the limitations of MoCA, I'm not sure this makes sense. I don't know what the ceiling on the number of Joeys client devices (Joeys, Super Joeys, Wallys?) is, but I expect that it is probably less than 10. Recording as many as twelve streams while serving up as many as six or seven is a tall order from a mass storage perspective not to mention the rate at which it could consume space.
This would be a point for everyone. None of us know, and to spout like we do is wrong on so many levels.

Reactions: JSheridan
When you realize that with Directv' s new LNB's, they can support up to 21 tuners, also on their version of a MoCA system, a 12 tuner Hopper should have no trouble under Dish's version. Forgive my ignorance, but MoCA is MoCA.

Reactions: Troch77
I've already had 3 Roamio Pluses, and 4 minis connected moca, and no issues.
That's 18 Tuners.

Nothing Dish is going to come up with will ever excede Mocas abilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Perhaps the Wally is the replacement for Joey and 211 having the capability to be either one. Maybe it's the replacement to super Joey.

I'll say the same thing here about 4k that has been said in the Directv threads, until 4k is proven to be a viable platform, you might as well stick with what you have now. Wait maybe 5 years to see how 4k has panned out. Is it here to stay or will it go the way of 3D? Hold onto your Hoppers with Slings, Super Joeys, & regular/wireless Joeys. 4k is worthless to me because, even if I had a 4k TV, my internet doesn't support, it doesn't have enough speed for me to watch ANYTHING in 4k. How many channels with Dish, just like Directv, put out to justify having a 4k TV at this time. If the new LNB's & new Hopper is for 4k only(meaning the only thing that it can do that the current Hopper with Sling cannot, is record in 4k), then just wait before upgrading. Directv's new Genie, the HR54, can only record 4k programming, you can't watch 4k with it, you need the C61k client to do that, will Dish be the same way?

MoCA 2.0 has a 16 node limit, and a max of around 400mbps (see chart halfway down here: http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1278926)

Note that doesn't mean tuners or even set top boxes, just the number of physical MoCA devices. If you plugged a switch into a MoCA Bridge, that only counts as one.

I don't think they are going to run into any limits with MoCA, because even when DirecTV supports 22 tuners, they are expecting most of those tuners to be in DVRs with multiple tuners.

If you need more than 16 physical set tops, you are going to be in MDU territory with your equipment.

Moca is 1 thing, dish hardware is another. I believe when the 2nd round of dph equipment is released we'll learn much more about the new hopper.

When you realize that with Directv' s new LNB's, they can support up to 21 tuners, also on their version of a MoCA system, a 12 tuner Hopper should have no trouble under Dish's version.
The fatal flaw with this argument is that it assumes that SWiM and DECA are one-and-the-same. DECA is a networking protocol that uses 100MHz of bandwidth and it is limited to 16 nodes and perhaps 8 or 9 HD streaming sessions. SWiM is a transponder stacking protocol that uses perhaps as much as 2000MHz of bandwidth. The two systems co-exist but are otherwise unrelated just as DISH's MoCA and DPH are independent systems running on the same cable.

I think with all the tuner talk it's great to speculate on what tuner count can be and realistic how technology can support it. It will be great to see what the next Hopper can do, just think back to what we thought when the H2k and HWS came out

I still think that the new hopper will have an edition to the Primetime anytime folder. They can record 4 networks on the same tuner now with primetime anytime. I think they will expand this to do other cable networks at the same time. They could include AMC, TNT, TBS , FX on one tuner and record during primetime and or do some sports channels on the same tuner. They could do 4 of the women's channels , 4 of some other genre etc. This might mean they could record up to 4 shows x 4tuners = 16 shows at the same time, but only use 4 tuners out of possible 6 tuners and still leave two other tuners for individual recording, if they made a 6 tuner hopper and expanded the Primetime anytime capability. All they have to do is move these channels on the same transponder and do the recording like they do the networks during primetime. These channels could still be recorded at the same time during any time of the day ,giving the sub the chance to only use a small amount of tuners instead of all 6. This would expand the hopper to 16 shows that could be recorded at the same time using the expanded primetime folder ,but wouldn't require that large of a hopper with only 6 tuners.

Reactions: Troch77
6 Tuners with PTA, would serve a 4 room system very sufficient, and a 5 or 6 room acceptable.

But they should still allow a Super Joey add one for the DVR freak like many of us here.

Also maybe that New LNB, and Splitter system will still work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I still think that the new hopper will have an edition to the Primetime anytime folder. They can record 4 networks on the same tuner...
This doesn't require "new" hardware - this is done by software. It was some time ago, but someone said that PTAT could be done on the ViP receivers if Dish wanted to add it.

I don't recall that but it may be correct. They meant that from a software standpoint, it could be implemented.
If there is a hardware barrier (like having to get past a decoder that only outputs one channel), software can't insert itself into the chain before the decoder and bypass the decoding process so that other software can do a software decode.

When you realize that with Directv' s new LNB's, they can support up to 21 tuners, also on their version of a MoCA system, a 12 tuner Hopper should have no trouble under Dish's version. Forgive my ignorance, but MoCA is MoCA.
Moca 1 and Moca 2 have big differences in the bandwidth they can support maybe they are going with Moca 2.o

Most simple, cheap DVB receivers can record two streams at the same time off of the same transponder. Probably, it didn't work to what Dish would consider to be trouble free on the ViP series. Also, it's a good marketing ploy to get ViP owners to upgrade.

Moca 1 and Moca 2 have big differences in the bandwidth they can support maybe they are going with Moca 2.o
MoCA 2 supports bonding, but all nodes must support it or they must all fall back to something that all of them can support. MoCA isn't like switched Ethernet where different segments can run at different rates.

To make the transition, they would have to replace anything that only supported MoCA 1.x or separate it out into two networks connected by a switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)