Hopper 3 and Wally

This as an excellent strategy on dish's part. Release the new gotta have it hopper3 next year and get everyone upgrading along with the new dvr prices and additional rec fess that will come with it.

Connecting Wallys to Hoppers doesn't make sense. It's just meant to be a stand alone non-DVR receiver, primarily for RVs and business installations. If you need connectivity to a Hopper, that's precisely what Joeys and Super Joeys are for. I'm not quite sure what you'd be trying to accomplish by using a Wally instead of a Joey.
I'm just speculating that the Wally would work under a "whole home situation" where you can view the recording list from the Hopper, & then watch the recordings from that list on your Wally. You can still detach it & use it for RV's & vacation homes, even (possibly) being able to attach an external hard drive to turn it into a DVR just like with the 211. With Directv, I just know that a lot of people don't want to deal with the clients. They'd rather have 2 tuner DVR's &/or 1 tuner receivers combined with their Genie, working independent of each other, & being able to view a combined recording list. Sure there would be trade-offs, like you can't do things with the Wally that you can with a Joey, but a lot of people will like that independent tuner along with being able to view recordings from a combined list.

I doubt that people having an independent tuner and having independent but still "interoperable" DVR lists was really on their minds while designing the Wally. The DirecTV genie/HR compatibility is just a leftover relic due to the fact that they had multi-room viewing between HR DVRs before the Genie existed, and the Genie software is just an extension of the HR platform.

If DirecTV had been designing it from scratch, or if something had come up that caused it to be a problem to work around, I'm sure they would have had zero issues axing HR-to-Genie viewing, and I would be really surprised if the Wally had any kind of functionality like that. Just think about the convoluted wiring that would be required to bridge the MoCA from a Hopper network to a Wally, but also allow a Wally to have access to a tuner. Quite a bit of work and development for such a tiny, tiny fraction of people who would ever use it.

I doubt that people having an independent tuner and having independent but still "interoperable" DVR lists was really on their minds while designing the Wally. The DirecTV genie/HR compatibility is just a leftover relic due to the fact that they had multi-room viewing between HR DVRs before the Genie existed, and the Genie software is just an extension of the HR platform.

If DirecTV had been designing it from scratch, or if something had come up that caused it to be a problem to work around, I'm sure they would have had zero issues axing HR-to-Genie viewing, and I would be really surprised if the Wally had any kind of functionality like that. Just think about the convoluted wiring that would be required to bridge the MoCA from a Hopper network to a Wally, but also allow a Wally to have access to a tuner. Quite a bit of work and development for such a tiny, tiny fraction of people who would ever use it.
You are right about Directv, whereas Dish just started from scratch with the Hopper system by not allowing the VIP DVR's to integrate with it. You had no choice but to accept the Joey. I guess we can only see how the Wally turns out & what all it does.

We'll be sure to look for it sometime in 2017.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Blake also told retailers that, in light of the new Hopper's planned release at CES, we should order Hopper w/Slings accordingly, so as not to have significant numbers of them in our inventory when the new Hopper is introduced. I don't ever recall Blake giving this advice before. Gave me the feeling that the availability of the H3 is real close.

Reactions: navychop
Blake also told retailers that, in light of the new Hopper's planned release at CES, we should order Hopper w/Slings accordingly, so as not to have significant numbers of them in our inventory when the new Hopper is introduced. I don't ever recall Blake giving this advice before. Gave me the feeling that the availability of the H3 is real close.

That's weird on a couple of different levels...one, you'd think that Dish would have managed their own inventory and there wouldn't be a glut of "old" Hoppers available to order in the first place. Second, you'd think that if they did have a ton of them, they'd want to get them out the door.

That's easy to deal with .... unless a (new or existing) customer specifically requests the 4K model, they get the regular Hopper/Hopper w/Sling.

Big buildup. I don't think they'd risk a big let down. They are gonna really make us happy. Save for the costs.

That's weird on a couple of different levels...one, you'd think that Dish would have managed their own inventory and there wouldn't be a glut of "old" Hoppers available to order in the first place. Second, you'd think that if they did have a ton of them, they'd want to get them out the door.

As with all previous receiver models, as long as there are Hopper W/Sling receivers in service, DISH, not the retailers, will maintain an inventory of them for replacement units.

Since I've been away a while I got into contact with a buddy of mine still doing work for them. Hearing a 12 Tuner Hopper releasing in March.
Go figure this is 2 months after they grandfather you in on pricing for old hoppers so if you upgrade you are right into the $15 mark. Granted 12 in one hopper from 6 in two may be a wise move. Go to the new Hopper with 12 tuners, get a joey... $15+10 vs $15+$15 as long as the new hopper has double the recording space and is in 4K I wouldn't mind that. The only down side is redundancy in case of failure you still can watch TV if one goes out and not the other.

The new cable runs for the new Hybrid LNB's and hubs are a long time coming, frankly should have been from the beginning for a tech stand point for sure.

Since I've been away a while I got into contact with a buddy of mine still doing work for them. Hearing a 12 Tuner Hopper releasing in March.
Go figure this is 2 months after they grandfather you in on pricing for old hoppers so if you upgrade you are right into the $15 mark. Granted 12 in one hopper from 6 in two may be a wise move. Go to the new Hopper with 12 tuners, get a joey... $15+10 vs $15+$15 as long as the new hopper has double the recording space and is in 4K I wouldn't mind that. The only down side is redundancy in case of failure you still can watch TV if one goes out and not the other.

The new cable runs for the new Hybrid LNB's and hubs are a long time coming, frankly should have been from the beginning for a tech stand point for sure.

After the price increase a Hopper and a Joey would be $15 and $7.

And if you are an existed customer, you are looking at $15+7 vs $12+$12. It would save you $2/month to upgrade to the new machine with 2X the capacity.

Given the limitations of MoCA, I'm not sure this makes sense. I don't know what the ceiling on the number of Joeys client devices (Joeys, Super Joeys, Wallys?) is, but I expect that it is probably less than 10. Recording as many as twelve streams while serving up as many as six or seven is a tall order from a mass storage perspective not to mention the rate at which it could consume space.

Given the limitations of MoCA, I'm not sure this makes sense. I don't know what the ceiling on the number of Joeys client devices (Joeys, Super Joeys, Wallys?) is, but I expect that it is probably less than 10. Recording as many as twelve streams while serving up as many as six or seven is a tall order from a mass storage perspective not to mention the rate at which it could consume space.
Oh stop!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)