Hopper 3 Arctic circle set up.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I might have to take you up on that as well, I just need to find an LNBF ...
This is why I recommended using the dual-tuner receiver to find the signal, since it will work with that old LNBF. You would simply need two cables coming into the receiver, instead of one cable. Also, the signal strength meter menu screen on the older receivers is a lot easier to use than the signal meter menu on Hopper-interface receivers. So, this way, you could at least get the dish properly aimed, while you are waiting to get the new LNBF. :)

I’ll give some things a try and see if I can’t get the dish pointed in the right direction before I leave for rotation. Anything else recommended in parts ??

sounds like I just need a DP LNB and everything should be in line to work as long as I have the dish pointed correctly.

I’ll give some things a try and see if I can’t get the dish pointed in the right direction before I leave for rotation. Anything else recommended in parts ??

sounds like I just need a DP LNB and everything should be in line to work as long as I have the dish pointed correctly.
That and the 42 switch should do the trick

Little late to the party here but I have a couple dpp 33 switches laying around somewhere. Sounds like you won't need it but if you do I'd happily send one your way for the cost of shipping.

Reactions: pattykay
Little late to the party here but I have a couple dpp 33 switches laying around somewhere. Sounds like you won't need it but if you do I'd happily send one your way for the cost of shipping.
The OP is intending to "hit" only 119. The only reason he needs a DPH42 is to allow the H3 to tune up to 16 channels on any of the transponders on 119. He doesn't actually need a switch to do that, but that is all Dish has to make such a configuration work.

Alright so I only need the one satellite signal though to be able to use the 42 switch and the hopper 3 ???!
Yes. Just buy a dish pro dual lnb (the single is hard to find). Run a single cable to the 42 switch . You don't need to connect the second port on the lnb.

Run a single cable from the switch to your hopper .

Looking at your big dish, it likely clamps around the throat.

Rip the back plastic casing off the lnb. The aluminum throat between horn and electronics will be undersized. I wrap mine with either duct tape or aluminum tape to build up the diameter to fit the lnb throat clamp..

Your problem with alignment is likely dish size. It's counterintuitive but the sweet spot for collecting the signal gets much smaller as the dish gets bigger. So , just a miniscule movement on you big dish will lose signal.

I'll get a photo in the light tomorrow of a 6 or 8 footer with the lnb connector.

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes. Just buy a dish pro dual lnb (the single is hard to find). Run a single cable to the 42 switch . You don't need to connect the second port on the lnb.
The advantage of the dual LNB is that it would provide an additional port if the OP ever wants to add any non-Hopper receivers, though, such as a Wally or ViP211k.

Reactions: TheKrell
I wonder if, once you get the 119, how hard it would be to become proficient at going to the 110 and back, depending on what channels you're looking for.

I wonder if, once you get the 119, how hard it would be to become proficient at going to the 110 and back, depending on what channels you're looking for.
Of course, you would have to do a Check Switch on the receiver each time you re-aim the dish, which may be a hassle. In that case, it may be better to have two receivers. Run the Check Switch on one receiver with the dish aimed at 119. Run the Check Switch on the other receiver with the dish aimed at 110. Then, each time you re-aim the dish, switch the input on the TV to the other receiver.

Reactions: HipKat
Dish Pro dual lnb with case removed and barrel diameter increased with tape to match the lnb mount.

1606840133067.png

That is either a 301 or a 311. In either case it's a standard definition single-tuner receiver and cannot use that separator. I don't know what that was doing in the mix. To confuse us?

No we are not. I think they are interchangeable with Dish's legacy dual LNBs. "Legacy" in DIsh parliance means the LNB used two different voltages to switch from left to right circular polarization. But I don't think DirecTV ever used bandstacking like the DP line of LNBs, which is what is required for that DPH42.

You will just have to buy a DishPro dual or single LNB to make that DPH42 switch work at all. If you want to get really fancy, you could get a hybrid LNB/switch assembly and try to hit 3 birds at once. I don't see how to do that with your big dish.
To my memory DTV used/went with Channel Stacking while Dish went with Band Stacking, and the switches used in those systems were designed to support EITHER Band or Channel Stacking, not both. Agreed. No those are NOT compatable.

FWIW, I don't see Band or Channel stacking as better than the other, but they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

I’d get most of the channels with sat 119° though correct ? From what I understand.
Not necessarily. Aren't a great many HD general interest/entertainment channels for Alaska on the Alaskan spot beams at 129?

Last edited:
The OP is intending to "hit" only 119. The only reason he needs a DPH42 is to allow the H3 to tune up to 16 channels on any of the transponders on 119. He doesn't actually need a switch to do that, but that is all Dish has to make such a configuration work.
Yeah, but he stated that soon after getting a signal, he was going to deal with supporting additional TV's. So, there may be a use for 16 tuners, after all.

Reactions: TheKrell
To my memory DTV used/went with Channel Stacking while Dish went with Band Stacking, and the switches used in those systems were designed to support EITHER Band or Channel Stacking, not both.
Isn't "channel stacking" what the Dish hybrid LNB does?

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)