Hopper 3 - Corrupted Recordings - Error 04

That's the biggest joke I've heard in a long time. The HR34 a 'gem' compared to the H3. That's really a combination of funny and a huge load of crap.
Today is my last day with the HR34 and I can't wait til this piece of junk goes back to DirecTV. If all these reports are true and the H3 is getting the corrupt recording error, it'll seem like n big deal to me. Been happening to me on multiple shows since November.

Today is my last day with the HR34 and I can't wait til this piece of junk goes back to DirecTV. If all these reports are true and the H3 is getting the corrupt recording error, it'll seem like n big deal to me. Been happening to me on multiple shows since November.

I've got an HR44 here that routinely skips recordings all the time. I only use it as a very last resort and back-up if DISH's uplink is down. :)

The Hopper 3 is my main receiver and I love it.

Here is a clue to what's going on inside the H3. I tried to look at my 8 -9 pm recording of channel 205 (at 8:40 pm) while it was still in the record process. Of course I got the black screen and could not see the show. I clicked "info" and it showed that the last show I watched on that channel (Cavuto) was active... the 4 - 5 pm show. So somehow the H3 did not recognize the shift from the last show watched to the one now desired to be recorded. Sounds like some "stuck code".

Are the others having this problem getting errors on the SAME CHANNEL as recently watched?

Here is a clue to what's going on inside the H3. I tried to look at my 8 -9 pm recording of channel 205 (at 8:40 pm) while it was still in the record process. Of course I got the black screen and could not see the show. I clicked "info" and it showed that the last show I watched on that channel (Cavuto) was active... the 4 - 5 pm show. So somehow the H3 did not recognize the shift from the last show watched to the one now desired to be recorded. Sounds like some "stuck code".

Are the others having this problem getting errors on the SAME CHANNEL as recently watched?
Yes, yes, yes. (We may end up having to troubleshoot it.)

Reactions: ralfyguy
Mine just crapped up a recording of Arrow on CW, so it does not like my local CW channel because it crapped up Flash last night. Guess Ill be buying these off Amazon to watch em, thanks Dish + the $110 bill I am paying...

Anyways, on the stuck thing. So would a work around be avoiding any channels you plan to record that day when watching live tv? I can easily come home, put the H3 on DIY, and then reboot it. Not sure if that would work in helping to clear the tuners. I did reset it today when I got home hoping something would change with the Flash recording and it did not help, obviously. I also never tuned to CW after the reset and it still crapped up the recording. When Arrow was recording it showed 4 of 15 tuners in use.

And how about the fanboys stay out of the threads with people that have "more than minor" issues so we don't have to read your crap? My system/setup is simple, and there is no reason it should have started causing unusable recordings lately (I have had it since early Feb).

"My H3 is great and I love it". WTF ever. I am not a newb, have been with Sat since 2003 and other than the HR34, this is the worst experience I have had. That includes Directivo, HR22, HR24, HR34, HR44, 622, 722, 722k, H2000 and HWS.

Reactions: osu1991
... And how about the fanboys stay out of the threads with people that have "more than minor" issues so we don't have to read your crap? My system/setup is simple, and there is no reason it should have started causing unusable recordings lately (I have had it since early Feb).

"My H3 is great and I love it". WTF ever. I am not a newb, have been with Sat since 2003 and other than the HR34, this is the worst experience I have had. That includes Directivo, HR22, HR24, HR34, HR44, 622, 722, 722k, H2000 and HWS.

Good for you. Sorry that you're apparently in a sub set of people who are having this problem. Hopefully DISH will fix this problem very soon. That doesn't give you the right to tell everybody else that's not having the problem to shut up. People have a right to know that all Hopper 3's aren't messed up. Get a hold of yourself man.

Good for you. Sorry that you're apparently in a sub set of people who are having this problem. Hopefully DISH will fix this problem very soon. That doesn't give you the right to tell everybody else that's not having the problem to shut up. People have a right to know that all Hopper 3's aren't messed up. Get a hold of yourself man.

This coming from the guy that says his PQ got better with every new model? I like how you lead the dish cheers in any negative thread and then act like you don't. Then you and your cheerleading squad keeping calling the people having issues a small group, yet you have no data to prove that either way. I also notice in threads more and more people crop up and say "I am having that problem too", before the cheerleaders then swoop in again.

I'll get ahold of myself when you pull your head from your rear end.

Reactions: Troch77
This coming from the guy that says his PQ got better with every new model? I like how you lead the dish cheers in any negative thread and then act like you don't. Then you and your cheerleading squad keeping calling the people having issues a small group, yet you have no data to prove that either way. I also notice in threads more and more people crop up and say "I am having that problem too", before the cheerleaders then swoop in again.

My picture quality is much better and so is everybody else's. Too bad for you that you can't see that.

If you don't like my posts don't read them. Too bad you feel the need to resort to personal attacks because of your little tantrum. Very sad. Better go get some sleep.

And let me add one more thing. I'm very disappointed that my H3 OTA recordings don't work and haven't worked for so long. I was one of the first to point it out and I advised everybody with the problem to let DIRT know.

If you want to call me a 'fanboy' for not throwing a hissy fit about it like you are then so be it.

Reactions: cummingsje

I had this happening last night as well. I thought I pushed the wrong buttons.

I had this happening last night as well. I thought I pushed the wrong buttons.

I honestly haven't looked, is there any kind of menu reset to take the H3 back to factory condition, so I can then try and redo timers? Not sure how many of you with these issues had tried OTA as well and is that part of the confusion, or something else going.

Is everyone with the issue using a Joey 2.0 or higher elsewhere? Kinda grasping at straws right now. As stated before, my setup is pretty simple, lines run from the LNP to the node or whatever outside, and then one line runs directly to my H3 and one runs directly to a J2.0 in the bedroom. It is not anything special.

I honestly haven't looked, is there any kind of menu reset to take the H3 back to factory condition, so I can then try and redo timers? Not sure how many of you with these issues had tried OTA as well and is that part of the confusion, or something else going.

Is everyone with the issue using a Joey 2.0 or higher elsewhere? Kinda grasping at straws right now. As stated before, my setup is pretty simple, lines run from the LNP to the node or whatever outside, and then one line runs directly to my H3 and one runs directly to a J2.0 in the bedroom. It is not anything special.
On the remote that came with the H3, press the Home button three times, then arrow down to Tools and select the Factory Reset.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
The issue is with the latest firmware update and there is no way for the consumer to roll that back to factory settings.

I never said anything about rolling back SW, and I understand what the issue is. I want to try and see if a factory reset on the H3 does anything to alleviate the issue.

It's called trouble shooting.

Most definitely. Hopefully if we jack with enough settings we can find a root cause, or it may end up being it's just in the new SW version and we are powerless.

I am taking the cell phone approach. Sometimes they act buggy after an install, and a simple factory reset fixes the issue even if the SW stays the same. I've already pulled my OTA tuner and stopped using all that to rule out my locals recording issue, but that has not helped because they Sat versions continue to have issues.

it may not matter though, because the CW I am having issues recording is scheduled to get pulled tonight due to contract disputes between Dish and the owner, so... LOL

I honestly thought we'd see more FW updates rolled out by now, but it seems:

1) Released too early (prob marketing decision)
2) Sports bar mode was a priority

Maybe they can actually work on the DVR side now, since that is what should be a priority...