Hopper 3 Dish Anywhere question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kskok68

Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
I have a quick question concerning the Hopper 3 and Dish Anywhere. Is the Hopper 3 still limited to a single Dish Anywhere stream to mobile devices like the Hopper with Sling or can multiple devices be streaming at the same time?

Reactions: MarkL@DISH
Hello kskok68. Dish Anywhere could be limited on the Hopper/Sling as it needs a free tuner to stream remotely to you. If only one tuner was free, only one person could stream. With 16 tuners on the Hopper 3, the only limitation is the 5 devices you can assign to the account you'll be streaming on.

Hello kskok68. Dish Anywhere could be limited on the Hopper/Sling as it needs a free tuner to stream remotely to you. If only one tuner was free, only one person could stream. With 16 tuners on the Hopper 3, the only limitation is the 5 devices you can assign to the account you'll be streaming on.

I think you better check on that again. It has always been one remote stream per Hopper at a time and still is. I just tried to do a second stream on a Hopper 3 and got this message:

Another user is streaming from this DVR. (Error 3)
Do you want to take over the connection?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Only one stream? That's pathetic.
When streaming over the internet, most people do not have the upstream bandwidth necessary for more than one stream at a time. For example, I have charter cable with 60Mbps down and 5Mbps up. My upstream bandwidth of 5Mbps is just enough to stream HD nicely, but there is no bandwidth left over for another stream. I think that is a major reason why Dish has not implemented more than one stream at a time.

Perhaps I should clarify, the older DishAnywhere sling adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, only one sling adapter can be used on a receiver. So, if you have a built in sling adapter like with a Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3 that's all you can have.

Lol, I got a Hopper 3 a few days ago and have had my sling adaptor plugged into front port since. Just realized sling is built in and no need for the adaptor! Too bad you can plug it into a Joey and have 2 streams.

6P AquariOS

Lol, I got a Hopper 3 a few days ago and have had my sling adaptor plugged into front port since. Just realized sling is built in and no need for the adaptor! Too bad you can plug it into a Joey and have 2 streams.

6P AquariOS
Nothing resides on the Joey to stream from. Everything is on the Hopper.

No, only one sling adapter can be used on a receiver. So, if you have a built in sling adapter like with a Hopper with Sling or Hopper 3 that's all you can have.

That is true but you can get an actual slingbox and use that to get a second stream from a Hopper 3 or HWS. And while I think Dish Anywhere is generally easier and faster to use then a slingbox the slingbox does have two advantages over Dish Anywhere. Those being: 1) Autohop is available on a slingbox for programs that have it while autohop is not available for any programs for Dish Anywhere. 2) Programs on an external hard drive are available using a slingbox but not available on Dish Anywhere.

I had a slingbox before I ever got Dish and continue to use it with the Hopper 3. I like having both Dish Anywhere and a slingbox and use them both depending on what I am trying to do.

The sling facility is per account. I have two H2's and can only sling one stream at time.

It is probably due to the authentication protocols, only one sling instance is authenticated per account.

Reactions: navychop
I'm curious about this Dish Anywhere restriction? I have a 722k with the sling adapter and using Dish Anywhere from a PC, phone or tablet, I can access all the recordings on my EHD. With a H3 or HWS you can't do this?

I'm curious about this Dish Anywhere restriction? I have a 722k with the sling adapter and using Dish Anywhere from a PC, phone or tablet, I can access all the recordings on my EHD. With a H3 or HWS you can't do this?
Yes, you can. The restriction is one stream at a time, that's all.

Yes, you can. The restriction is one stream at a time, that's all.
I think KAB is wrong on that one. When I upgraded from my 722k to the HWS, I lost the ability to play back recordings from my EHD when using Dish Anywhere. As far as I know, none of the Hoppers will allow you to play back recordings from your EHD when using Dish Anywhere.

It has been posted on this board that Dish has said that the ability to play back EHD recordings on the 622/722/722k receivers (using Dish Anywhere) was due to a "bug" in the software. That is one "bug" that I wish Dish would reintroduce into their software!

Reactions: navychop