Hopper 3 Favorites list

jrhut1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2012
Springfield, Mo
Does anyone else have any trouble with using a favorites list on the hopper 3? I have tried since I have had the hopper 3 to use this function. It works when I set it up and I can use it to scan the channels I like. Then I shut the unit down and the guide will not work until I go in and change from my favorites to all channels. Then I can immediately go back and select my favorites again and it works for awhile before having the issue again. I am not sure what causes the issue. At first I thought it was only when I shut the unit down but now it seems to happen quite often for no apparent reason. I do not watch any pay for view, music channels, Hockey, Basketball or many other channels that are listed when in the guide for all channels. I absolutely hate the fact that I cannot get a favorite channel lineup that works. I even tried to do away with the favorite channel and lock out the channels I did not want to appear and that doesn't work either. I tell it to lock out a channel and the channel still shows up. Am I missing something here? Does anyone else either us a favorite channel list or lock out channels so they don't have to wade through all of them to find what you want?

Are you sure you are finishing the setup of your favorites? I'm not at home so I can't help on the setup.. I've never had a speck of trouble with favorites. You might try a power off reset, it is a computer, after all.

I am pretty sure I have set the favorites up right. It works fine for an varying time then all of a sudden for whatever reason when I hit the guide button it comes up showing a page of the lowest channel numbers in my favorites list and I can not get off of that page without clicking off my favorites list and back in. I can't even enter a number from the keypad and go to it while that list is up. It gets frustrating for me and I catch heck from the wife about it. She says we should have kept the two hopper system we had. I am beginning to think she has something there. I keep hoping an update to the software will fix it but kind of doubt it since I have seen no one else complain of this.

Go into Menu.
1.Settings
2.Favorite Channels
3.Pick a list to edit.
4. Pick (Edit channels.) / (Edit Name do later to save time)

The list to the left is all your available channels
5.Press select over the channels you want.
It will add them to the right which is your favorite list.

6.Press Cancel a few times when you're done just to exit.

7.Then pull up the Guide.
8.Then press Red button while in the Guide.
9.Select option 1, Favorite channels.
10.Select the list you made.
Bang your done.

When you master this, You can give your list a custom name.

Did you do a hard reset????? It's a computer...

You are experiencing something that no one is. If you can't fix it, save your recordings and settings and make them give you a new box.

I have tried everything I can think of to solve this ongoing problem. In answer to Troch77's suggestions, I have done this over and over again. I have also done several hard resets to the box. I had an ota module connected and even though I could see no reason it would cause my issues I removed it then removed my favorites list I had set up. I then did a hard reset and using the steps that Troch77 suggested I made a completely new favorites list with the channels I wanted. The results were that the first few times i would click on guide it worked but then back to the same thing. The guide would freeze and the only way to be able to use the guide was to go back to all channels. I also can not figure out why I go through all the steps to lock out some channels and hide them.....they appear in the guide as if I had not done anything. I am thinking about trying to contact dirt and see if a new box might be in order.

I thought I knew how to find a dirt member who was online... however I don't see any of their names in red so I can only assume they are not on at this time. If a dirt member happens to read this post, will they please let me know so I can pm them.

I am also having an issue with my favorites list. Hopper 3 and 4K Joeys.

Problem is that I have my favorites set up and selected. I hit the guide button, get the onscreen guide. But it won't let me move either page up and down or channel up and down. I have to switch to "None" in the guide favorites list, then it works, then when I switch back to "Faves" it works.

Happens more often than not.

I am so glad to hear that someone else is having the same problem. It is a real pain it the butt for us and happens multiple times and evening. I have been talking to dirt about it but so far nothing has come of that. Dirt said they would forward it to engineering and I have a feeling that is not going to give us any kind of relief but I can hope.

I have question for you docdaddy. Do you use the remotes that you got with the Hopper 3 or do you use the older remotes? I use the old ones and can't see how it would cause this issue but I am going to try to use the new remote tonight and see if the issue is still there.

I have no problem selecting which favorite guide I want to view. I hit guide then options , favorite channels then select which favorite list I want and viola , I am looking at my favorite list.

I have no problem selecting which favorite guide I want to view. I hit guide then options , favorite channels then select which favorite list I want and viola , I am looking at my favorite list.
But they are not having a problem looking AT their favorites list, the problem they say is they cannot scroll through the channels.

I have question for you docdaddy. Do you use the remotes that you got with the Hopper 3 or do you use the older remotes? I use the old ones and can't see how it would cause this issue but I am going to try to use the new remote tonight and see if the issue is still there.

Using the remotes that came as well as the 40 that I got to replace my H3 remote. I see this also on my 4K Joey.

But they are not having a problem looking AT their favorites list, the problem they say is they cannot scroll through the channels.

Yeah, this. No problem creating or switching to the list. Just can't navigate (often) once on the favorites list unless I switch to the no-favorites option then back to the favorites. What's challenging for diagnosing is it isn't consistent - sometimes it will work for a while, then stop working, other times first time I try it doesn't work.

I am getting ready for company right now but docdaddy is having the exact problem I am and I will try to keep an eye on this thread in case someone comes up with an answer.