Hopper 3 issues with resuming play and pausing

Cruciatus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
I've had the Hopper 3/Joey system for more than a year now and it's mostly fine. I've paused still airing TV shows before and resumed playback on another TV a few minutes later, but lately when I make it to the other TV and hit "resume" it doesn't start play where I paused, but it catches up to live TV.

And possibly related, but only on some shows, it has issues with pausing. It will actually fast forward itself. I'm not accidentally hitting fast forward or the 30 second button. But there are times it won't pause where I want it to.

And also also possibly related, sometimes it has issues getting off the show that airs right before the show I want to watch (even if it's already done recording). I'm normally able to at least hit the 30 second button and it usually works itself out.

Is there any reason for why this is happening and is it fixable? It just seems to get all caught up in issues with playback. It was fine before so I don't know if there was a recent upgrade that made it more terrible or something else going on that I could try.

I too have had this issue on my Hopper 3, had the Hopper since May of last year, using it with 3 wireless Joeys. I have also noticed issues with the timer that displays when a live show is paused. It will sometimes show an inaccurate amount of time that he show has been pause. A show may be paused for 10 or so minutes, then all of a sudden it will show 30 minutes on the timer. When trying to use the skip button it will automatically jump to live tv with one push of the skip forward button. The pause feature seems kind of glitchy. I will say the issues seem to mostly be when controlling it from the Joeys.

I have heard others mention this happening.
I believe Dish made a software change that has caused this behavior, whether intentional or not, that is the why.

I've had the Hopper 3/Joey system for more than a year now and it's mostly fine. I've paused still airing TV shows before and resumed playback on another TV a few minutes later, but lately when I make it to the other TV and hit "resume" it doesn't start play where I paused, but it catches up to live TV.

I’ve had this same problem recently. It’s infuriating because it was finally working about 6 months ago. Problem appeared to start with the U528 update. I likewise am sent to the live program when hitting resume on a “paused” program. Sometimes if I back out and then try resuming again it works correctly.

Dish really needs to do better testing on this stuff. I have not found a permanent solution yet.

I am curious if this problem affects others here in 2022. I found out yesterday that it affects me.

I was watching some DVR-recorded college hoops on my 4KJoey in my study, wanted to switch to viewing it on the Hopper 3 in the living room. I don't often use this "feature" but I thought one could Pause the playback on the Joey and Resume from that point on the Hopper 3. The seemingly relevant option available on the H3 was "Resume", but it did not call out that there was a paused version of the playback on the Joey. (When I've done this in the other direction, that is, paused playback on the H3 and moved to the Joey, I've seen the menu pop up asking if I want to resume where paused on the H3.) So I hit Resume and it proceeded to play not anywhere near where I had paused, but either live or very far forward from the paused point. When watching a recorded game, this is kind of a big deal, as you might then see the score at a later point. I tried to ignore the score on the screen and then told it to play from beginning. This was a little bit March Maddening.

Does anyone have suggestions on ways to make this work, say, use Stop instead of Pause at the Joey before trying to resume on the H3?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a related H3 problem when viewing from a wired Joey. When watching a recorded show, I hit skip forward thru commercials and the replay freezes completely. Then nothing works to restart it except going back start over ("GO" without collecting $200). H3 says the Joey is "linked"with "strong" signal. Is the Joey going south or is it part of the S/W "update"?

I believe it is a software glitch, I do have a workaround for the Hopper 3.
When watching a pre-recorded program. If you pause the program, and then return to continue watching it. (Either from a Joey or the Hopper) The program pauses and won't resume ( pressing play-pause button does not work) or skips forward in the recording session when pressing the play-pause button. Do the following:
1) Select and press the "information" button
You will see a menu with the "resume" option.
2) Cursor up or down until "resume"is highlighted then press resume.
You will now see the program. But it is still paused.
3) Now press the "play-pause" button.
Your program should play.

Reactions: charlesrshell