Hopper 3 randomly goes into standby

Dick VH

Original poster
Mar 12, 2021
Boston area
I've searched the forums and can't find anyone mentioning this problem. We can be watching a "live" program or something on the DVR and the Hopper 3 randomly drops into standby for no apparent reason. (sometimes several times per day - this isn't a reboot - just instantly drops the watched program and goes to the screen saver / standby screen). This has been going on for about 6 weeks (beginning of February-ish) The Hopper had been working fine previously. Currently on latest H301 software. Nothing abnormal shows up on the diagnostics screen as far as I can tell.

I've checked the inactivity timer - which is set at 5 hours. Front panel reset multiple times, unplug reset, etc. The receiver is on a quality sine wave UPS / surge suppressor and has worked normally on that for almost a year. I changed the power connection to directly into the wall outlet (which I know Dish support would ask about) No difference - still drops out for no reason. Not complaining about Dish support - just takes a long time to go through stuff I've already checked. I did a software update - unclear if this re-downloads and re-installed the H301 software again or just verifies the system is current.

Curious if anyone has seen this problem and has any suggestions - before I go through the pain of calling Dish support. I've been a Dish customer since since 1996 with their first 3200 receiver and pretty experienced with their systems.

Thanks!

Dick - Boston area

Last edited:
You are not alone. I've had the issue for a long long time. I have upgrades set for 1 am with inactivity set for 8 hours. I can spend 10 minutes searching, editing timers, etc. (dozen or more key entries). and even after that I will shortly get the "inactivity" screen. I never quite get it right to recover, and I either have to hit the rewind button or lose content for while I was interrupted.

I'll try Bobby's suggestion and turn the timer to off (thanks!).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)