Hopper 3 Software H305 5/14

I think this is the first time I have seen a software update rolled back.
It has been a long time. Before the CUI was ever supposed to go out to the public, many members here reported performing a secret sequence to force their receivers to switch to the CUI. (This was back when the interface was truly "carbon" black, rather than the gray tone they eventually settled on.) Next update, Dish forced their receivers back to the old software and interface. That was a case where the update was going out to people who were not supposed to be receiving it. I think a similar situation applies here. The only difference is that Dish's authorization system apparently automatically sent out the update to some members here without them needing to do anything to force it. Most of the members who reported receiving the update actually did force it, though.

I have seen an attempt to force an update completely break one of my Hopper Duos, shortly after the Hopper Duo first came out. Dish had to send me a replacement. Lets just say that particular update never made it out to wide public release.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Now if only Rovi could get their act together with their guide info. My PTAT isn't working again because practically every program beyond the next 2-3 hours says "No description available for this event." Program titles seem correct, but the actual description info is wrong. And yes, I did try manually updating the guide software. No effect.

Edit:

That's odd. Just before I did the manual guide update at about 6 pm earlier this evening, I also manually clicked update software and it told me I had the latest version (H305). A few minutes ago, I clicked update software again, and it actually started downloading an update. When it was done, I was back on the older H301 again.

So I clicked update software for the third time after being sent back to H301, and it started downloading again... and now that it's finished and it's rebooted... I'm still on the older H301...

But my PTAT is working again and the guide info is all correct again.
Well this is just an FYI: The Rovi corporate name does not exist anymore and hasn't for some time. Rovi split itself into a intellectual property company (I forget the goofy name) and a products/service/media company that is TiVo. However, not too long after Rovi purchased TiVo, Rovi dropped the "Rovi" brand and adopted TiVo brand as it new corporate name. So, officially, TiVo has been the provider of EPG data for years. So, for accuracy, it is "Now, if TiVo could only get their act together . . ."
:). And I agree with you on TiVo getting its act together, but, sadly, they have a LONG, LONG way to go.

This is just a friendly note on the every changing names of corporations and brands, and in no way be taken negatively. Frankly, I had a hard time keeping up with all the changes at Rovi, then TiVo and its de-evolution into its change to offering a dongle Amazon Fire like device streaming device as the future of the company.

Well this is just an FYI: The Rovi corporate name does not exist anymore and hasn't for some time. Rovi split itself into a intellectual property company (I forget the goofy name) and a products/service/media company that is TiVo. However, not too long after Rovi purchased TiVo, Rovi dropped the "Rovi" brand and adopted TiVo brand as it new corporate name. So, officially, TiVo has been the provider of EPG data for years. So, for accuracy, it is "Now, if TiVo could only get their act together . . ."
For accuracy, for the specific issue being discussed in this thread, it is "If only Dish's software release department could get their act together..." ;)

Starting to wonder if you are related to Claude. Lol.
Nah, I actually praise Dish occasionally, when they actually get something right. ;)

I gave them Kudos for restoring the DVR icon to the Main Menu. Too bad the rollback rolled that back. Hopefully H306 (or a working version of H305) will restore that again. At least the leaked update shows that Dish is (or was) working on fixing that. :)

My hopper duo shows a H401, so is that an old version? States it loaded 5/16/21 @ 9:18 am.
Yes, that is the "01" release from March. This issue with the "05" release being aborted apparently caused all receivers to think that the "01" version is a new release and re-download it, even if they never had the "05" version.

I also give Dish praise for simplifying their software numbering system. This year (since March, anyway) all of the various receiver model software versions end with the same last two digits. They also changed the letter at the beginning to match the family of receiver (H for Hopper, W for Wally, J for Joey). This is a great move, and was long overdue. It makes it so much easier to keep track of all of the new software versions with each new release. That in turn may make software rollbacks easier, when necessary. Perhaps this "05" release and rollback was simply a test of Dish's software rollback mechanism?

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts