Hopper 3 terrible HD picture

After a software update only some TIVO users had a problem with the screen blacking out for a second every now and then. By chance someone unplugged their USB drive and problem solved. It's the exact example of what I am saying, when the problem is not obviously solved you try suggestions, not say it won't fix it.... It's silly to me not to try component instead of HDMI, or at least unplug the Hopper from the TV and see if it affects the PQ of the Joeys if it's true they also show the same problem.

I tried not having a USB drive plugged in to the TV and it made no difference.

Reactions: Tampa8
Ok so another dish tech came out yesterday. Replace all my equipment and no change, then we moved the Hopper 3 to another TV to eliminate my TV as the problem and still nothing. The only thing left is to live with it or go back to a Hopper with sling until they hopefully fix the issue but then I will never know if they fix it lol.

Ok so another dish tech came out yesterday. Replace all my equipment and no change, then we moved the Hopper 3 to another TV to eliminate my TV as the problem and still nothing. The only thing left is to live with it or go back to a Hopper with sling until they hopefully fix the issue but then I will never know if they fix it lol.

This is very bizarre.

Did technician try out a HWS to make sure. Maybe TV has gone on the blink.

Are you sitting at proper 4k viewing distance to the TV? (You're way too close for Dish if so).

Uncompressed DVD 720x480 won't look too far off from super-compressed Dish 1440x1080 especially with dish's variable bitrate that is crammed in per transponder... Ever more so if you are watching a 720 channel.

VOD should look great and very near Blu-Ray quality when watching a 1080p stream. I VOD Star Wars Rebels from Disney XD an it looks very good. (I think it may even be 720p, but the VOD master could be 1080p? Which is what their Blu-Rays list for video. But they could just be mastering in 720p and up-scaling for blu-ray release.)

Pause what you are seeing and take a picture for us. Attach it here, we should be able to replicate especially if you choose a popular show/network :)

I have changed nothing all I want is the same picture quality I had with my Hopper with sling on the same TV and the same viewing distance.

You are incorrect about the HDR being a TV problem. I also have an LG 65EF9500 and the HDR comes on with the Hopper all the time when there is no HDR content on the Hopper 3. Only Amazon and Samsung UHD player both work correctly only turn HDR when the show supports HDR. I have talked to both Dish and LG tech support and are both looking into the HDR issue.

It may be a Hopper problem certainly. But I can turn that around, it may only be happening with the Hopper, but it isn't happening that we have seen with anything but the select LG TV's either if I am not mistaken. Doesn't that point to a possibility those LG TV's are causing it as much as it does it is the Hopper?

I have changed nothing all I want is the same picture quality I had with my Hopper with sling on the same TV and the same viewing distance.

Here are some pictures.
image1.jpeg

This is on an LG 65EF9500 4K OLED

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    735.5 KB · Views: 166
You can use the same LNB and Hub. Just the Hopper 3 needs to be switched out.

THE PQ is not affected by the LNB since the signal is digital, its just passing on the 1's and 0's it gets where it is decoded by the receiver (aka Hopper) The LNB does not change those 0's and 1's at all.

Reactions: Troch77
It makes more sense to me that with all the receivers and tv's displaying subpar pictures it would indicate a problem somewhere inline. If it were me I would look for any switches, splitters, taps, power inserters, nodes, hubs, fittings, etc. which are part of your installation. If they replaced the receiver, LNB and have installed the new hub used to replace the old node used for the Hopper 1 and 2, there's not much else to check besides cabling and the other things I mentioned above.

It may be a Hopper problem certainly. But I can turn that around, it may only be happening with the Hopper, but it isn't happening that we have seen with anything but the select LG TV's either if I am not mistaken. Doesn't that point to a possibility those LG TV's are causing it as much as it does it is the Hopper?

I agree it is probably a communication issue between the Hopper 3 and LG TV

Reactions: Tampa8
You can use the same LNB and Hub. Just the Hopper 3 needs to be switched out.

THE PQ is not affected by the LNB since the signal is digital, its just passing on the 1's and 0's it gets where it is decoded by the receiver (aka Hopper) The LNB does not change those 0's and 1's at all.

The LNB is not compatible with the Hopper 2 everything must be switched back. They had to switch out my LNB to work with Hopper 3.

I don't think I could live with it! Do you know exactly what equipment was changed, and as best you can tell do they seem like they know what they are doing concerning installing the Hopper 3? Switches installed correctly etc..Also am I correct the technician looked at the picture and agrees it is way off?
In trying to think of every possibility, if really all equipment was changed, it is the correct LNB for sure, and the Hopper 3 has been replaced along with trying a different TV to me that leaves one thing, has the all the cabling been replaced? We know the Hopper produces an excellent picture so there has to be something wrong at your location!! Power supply, your electrical system? Bad Karma?

It makes more sense to me that with all the receivers and tv's displaying subpar pictures it would indicate a problem somewhere inline. If it were me I would look for any switches, splitters, taps, power inserters, nodes, hubs, fittings, etc. which are part of your installation. If they replaced the receiver, LNB and have installed the new hub used to replace the old node used for the Hopper 1 and 2, there's not much else to check besides cabling and the other things I mentioned above.

I would agree but cabling would not produce and low resolution image it would be a weaker signal.

I don't think I could live with it! Do you know exactly what equipment was changed, and as best you can tell do they seem like they know what they are doing concerning installing the Hopper 3? Also am I correct the technician looked at the picture and agrees it is way off?
In trying to think of every possibility, if really all equipment was changes, it is the correct LNB for sure, and the Hopper 3 has been replaced along with trying a different TV to me that leaves one thing, has the all the cabling been replaced? We know the Hopper produces an excellent picture so there has to be something wrong at your location!! Power supply, your electrical system? Bad Karma?

The install went fine and yes the tech could see it wasn't a very good picture.

The LNB is compatible with the Hopper 2.

I have had 3 techs come to the house and have asked them all to just throw in a Hopper 2 box to show the picture was fine back then and they all said it would require everything to be switched back. I guess they were just trying to get out of extra work instead of really trying to solve this problem.

Looking at the picture, that looks more like a power issue then anything. Would love to see it hooked to a power conditioner and see what it looks like then.

But I know the Hopper 2 and Hopper 1 both with with the Hybrid LNB as I had them hooked up to a Hybrid LNB before I had a Hopper 3. And now I have a Hopper 1 and Hopper 2 hooked up to a seperate dish with a Hybrid LNB and again all works fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts