Hopper 3 upgrade single cable from dish?

frankpjr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Chicago IL
I just had my vip722 upgraded to hopper 3 and joey 3.0 and was wondering about the dish cables going into node. I only have 1 of the cables from dish connected to the node and other was left disconnected hanging there. Is there a way that only one cable from dish to node works? If left that way any thing I would be missing? From all diagrams I see it uses 2 cables so I am concerned but it does seem to be working fine. Any thoughts?

I just had my vip722 upgraded to hopper 3 and joey 3.0 and was wondering about the dish cables going into node. I only have 1 of the cables from dish connected to the node and other was left disconnected hanging there. Is there a way that only one cable from dish to node works? If left that way any thing I would be missing? From all diagrams I see it uses 2 cables so I am concerned but it does seem to be working fine. Any thoughts?

Like n0qcu said one wire is used for a Hybrid LNB but they shouldn't have left the extra cable just hanging. That's why they make zip ties. :)

As others have pointed out, you have a Hybrid Hub not a node. You're looking at a diagram for the old Hopper install which doesn't work with a Hopper 3 but I wonder which port the tech left the cable hanging from? The Hub has four ports. One, and only one, for the LNB, one for the host which is the Hopper and two client ports for the Joeys.

Reactions: charlesrshell
As others have pointed out, you have a Hybrid Hub not a node. You're looking at a diagram for the old Hopper install which doesn't work with a Hopper 3 but I wonder which port the tech left the cable hanging from? The Hub has four ports. One, and only one, for the LNB, one for the host which is the Hopper and two client ports for the Joeys.
I think he meant the extra cable was left hanging from the LNB, not from the hub.

OK as everyone has replied, yes it is fine that the tech only used one of two cables from dish antenna to connect to hub. As was surmised all ports on the hub are connected with 1 having a terminator resistor cap on hub. The loose cable was in crawl space where it went to each of the VIP 722's prior and was just zip tied to other cable. Since the Joey is connected to Hub that is where the old satellite antenna was diplexed with OTA antenna and other cable use to go. The tech also installed a new dish and LNB as was stated just simpler to do so. The unused cable at antenna was just routed into the dish arm and left alone unused.

I just saw all of the other connection diagrams for hopper and thought both of the cables were to be connected not realizing the updated changes. Thanks for all the answers!