HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Thanks Bobby for the answer. Can I hook up a internal HD/SSD and connect it using this method as this will also supply the external power to the HDD... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...87zjFNud9i2Tl_73u-IAYaAjDQ8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
I can't really answer that question, although there are others here that will be able to. I use a WD Elements, the powered kind, 1 TB EHD with my Hopper and it works well. I've had that same EHD on a 722 and 3 different Hoppers and the transfers have alll been perfect.

Reactions: Almighty1
I can't really answer that question, although there are others here that will be able to. I use a WD Elements, the powered kind, 1 TB EHD with my Hopper and it works well. I've had that same EHD on a 722 and 3 different Hoppers and the transfers have alll been perfect.

Technically to the Hopper, it will appear as a powered drive as the adapter supplies the power separately to the drive and the USB cable only handles the data portion as both 2.5" and 3.5" drives other than the external 2.5" requires power before it will even work. It just physically doesn't have a case. I can always test it as a I have a dozen or so 2TB HDD's and 2TB SSD's around except I'm concerned that I might lose the data on the EHD in the test process so it would help if I can keep the data internally even after I copied it to the EHD just for testing purposes.

I have a cautionary tale regarding the USB-to-SATA adapters. When I bought my 2TB WD drive, none of the USB cases or dongles would recognize the drive. I had to get a new USB 3.0 case.

Make sure the manufacturer states support for drives of the size you are looking to use.

I have a cautionary tale regarding the USB-to-SATA adapters. When I bought my 2TB WD drive, none of the USB cases or dongles would recognize the drive. I had to get a new USB 3.0 case.

Make sure the manufacturer states support for drives of the size you are looking to use.

Good point and I actually have the adapter I mentioned as I used it to clone my notebooks 2x750GB 2.5" Western Digital Black Label 7200RPM HDD "spinner" to 2x2TB 2.5" Samsung 850Pro SSD's a few weeks ago using Macrium Reflect on Windows 10 x64 Build 10586.14 so I know it handles the capacity fine and this one is solidly built compared to the ones I bought in the past on Ebay. I bought it locally after reading all the reviews online and looking at the specs, this one handles up to 3TB. This one specifically has the following:

• With USB3.0 interface, the transfer rates up to 5 Gbps, USB 2.0 and SATA 1.0 a compliant
  • Dual-Head IDE Connector (40pin and 44pin) plus one SATA II Connector
  • Support SATA 2.5" / 3.5" HDD up to 3TB, IDE 2.5" / 3.5" HDD, allow to operate one IDE and one SATA HDD Simultaneously
  • Plug and play, hot swap; One Touch Backup function; On/Off Switch for HDD protection
and ofcourse comes with a external power adapter that will supply power to both the 2.5" and 3.5" drives.

http://goo.gl/KKRLVq

Just checked my latest bill & I don't think I have the protection plan, so I guess I'd have to pay the whole fee. Can you give any insight as to which typically gives better results between calling Dish on the phone or chatting with them online?

The protection plan can be added at anytime for $8 a month and cost only $10 per visit. They will ask you to accept the $95 tech visit fee and you may decline and ask to add the protection plan. You are just required to keep enrolled for 4 months. This will still be cheaper than the $95 fee which would show up on one bill rather than $8 spread amongst multiple monthly bills. If you cancel the protection plan before the 4 months you will be charged a $25 cancellation fee. I personally always try chat first, if I don't get the results I wish for I may call or just try again later with a different rep. Can't tell you how many times I'll contact them right back and get what I want.

Yes, I meant to say ViP and earlier equipment.

I doubted that the H3 could support HEVC, but thought I'd give it a chance. Too much to expect. Hopper 4, next year.

I am thinking since Netflix 4K requires HEVC that the Hopper 3 support HEVC in some way.

NLOS/HighlanderCFH,

I have personally never tried the phone but I found the best to be the DISH Support forums where you post and on of the persons will handle the problem by PM. The online website support chat is good too. The worse one is e-mail as they will respond but they are completely clueless in their answer and basically they are not even responding to what you asked and it requires explaining over and over before they know what you are talking about.

I personally do not care if it's free, $99, $199, or $299. I'm moving to a H3, activating my owned Joey, adding a RAID unit and doing away with Dual HWS's ASAP.

Hopper 3 isn't compatible with Joey 1.0. They may do a clean swap for a owned Joey 1.0 and a Joey 2.0.

Hopper 3 isn't compatible with Joey 1.0. They may do a clean swap for a owned Joey 1.0 and a Joey 2.0.
It is compatible. As mentioned multiple times previously, it is compatible but is slow(as it is currently slow on the Hoppers now). There has been far too much misinfo going on all these threads that contradict one another, and most of it seems to be from people just talking.

You take an Ethernet cable hook it to your old hopper plug it in your new hopper and set it to go.

I think what was being asked is won't the installer be taking the replaced Hopper with them when they leave, thus not giving the customer a chance to do a direct transfer? Or will the installer leave the replaced Hopper behind and the customer has to mail it back after they complete the direct transfer?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk 2

wait what??? we can apply for our hopper 3 upgrades here??? Also sorry for the newbish question but what is DIRT????
Yes you can. DIRT is the Dish Internet Response Team and are dedicated to social media support. Their names will be in Red, and when given the OK, you'll be able to put in for an upgrade here at SG.

Awesomeness, I shall most definitely do that then, thank you. One last thing , by saying "when given the OK" do you mean when DIRT informs us on here that the hoppers are available , we can then apply??

Thanks in advance, loving this forum already!

Awesomeness, I shall most definitely do that then, thank you. One last thing , by saying "when given the OK" do you mean when DIRT informs us on here that the hoppers are available , we can then apply??

Thanks in advance, loving this forum already!
DIRT or Scott Greczkowski will inform us. He is the one that set it up to make it easier for the customer that would rather have a quick chat, rather than going through the bs. T sometimes takes longer, but only the amount of time it takes to exchange messages and see and read them.

Looks like a LOT of people will want a Hopper 3 Upgrade! 16 Tuners, 4K, USB 3, Gigabit Ethernet and more!

As was announced at the DISH Press Conference the Hopper 3 will be released THIS MONTH. (January 2016!)

It should be noted that currently the HOPPER 3 is NOT available and we ask you NOT TO contact the DISH DIRT Team about upgrades to the Hopper 3 yet.

Keep an eye on SatelliteGuys as I am told we will get the first opportunity to upgrade our members to Hopper 3's. SO PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT DIRT until I say its ok to do so. If you contact them now, unfortunately they won't be able to do anything for you.

When updates are available I will start a new thread for upgrade requests, this way the DIRT team can help people in the order that the upgrade requests were made. If you send a request to an individual DIRT team member there is no guarantee that the DIRT member will see it.

So again PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT DIRT FOR A HOPPER 3 UPGRADE AT THIS TIME.

THANK YOU!

do we have a number for the DIRT team? I have been a DNS tech for 7 years and ive never heard of them.

thanks,