HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

I was told by dish that you be only able to have one Hopper 3. I'm sure one will be fine but I want to keep recordings separate.
I currently have 2 hoppers and 3 joeys

Won't be me. Just a waste of money for me to get it. One Hopper 3 with three Joeys should work just fine.
I would think that would be the case for most 2 Hopper people. Scott said that 5% of hopper customers have 2 Hoppers. I would be willing to bet that if they all upgraded to Hopper 3, 95% (or more) of them would opt for a single H3, and a number of Joeys or wireless Joeys.

I would also be willing to bet that Dish does not discount the 2nd Hopper 3. They designed this to be to the whole home solution, and if you want to have 2, while they will allow it on the account, you will likely have to pay full retail for it and $15/month receiver fee.

Reactions: Scott Greczkowski
After a long and arduous journey (having to trench the yard about 100 feet which is completed and tunnel underneath a sidewalk which has been a big pain but hopefully finished soon to relocate from WA to EA because of los and local hd channels), I plan to get an H3 with one Joey (which will need 1 RG6 from the dish) soon. For reasons not relevant to this thread, If I were to decide to get another H3 when this new switch is released, will there be a need for another RG6 from the dish for this switch?

If so, can I get the installer (Dish or retailer - whoever dish sends basically) to run an extra wire (will be running through the trench in poly pipe) for that contingency? NOTE: I would be happy to pay a reasonable charge for this AND I do not really want to do it myself now and don't want to pull another through the pipe later even though I will have means to do that.

You will need a second cable if you were to get a second Hopper 3. Are you saying you only have one cable run through that trench?

I haven't put the poly pipe in the ground yet. I will do that with pull cord for fishing cable and another pull cord when I do. I was planning on having 3 RG6 cables plus messenger with a 2 HWS install until H3 was announced. Also, I was going to use the installer RG6. I don't want to do the install myself. However, given the length of the trench and necessity of going under a sidewalk, I have to do that part since the installer will not.

Omg you must watch alot of tv to need two hopper 3's I will be going from 3 hoppers........to one hopper 3 YEA!!!!!!!!!!!. I will have to order an extra regular joey though one hopper 4 joeys.

Reactions: bobvick
Omg you must watch alot of tv to need two hopper 3's I will be going from 3 hoppers........to one hopper 3 YEA!!!!!!!!!!!. I will have to order an extra regular joey though one hopper 4 joeys.
I don't think it's a lot of TV viewing as much as wanting Mom and Pop Hoppers or parent and kiddie Hoppers. It separates the programming....

So an H3 can support up to 7 Joeys, so 8 people can watch at any given time. This implies those 8 streams are being buffered on the HDD. That leaves 8 possible direct to HDD recordings.

Does the H3 allow 16 direct to HDD DVR recordings simultaneously if no one is watching TV.

The DPH42 hybrid switch model number implies that it has 4 dish pro inputs for up to 4 satellite orbitals and 2 DPZ outputs for 2 H3s or a mix of 1 H3 and another receiver or multiple Wallys. You would need either two (EA) or three (WA) coaxs from the dish or dishes to the switch.

I hope that you can use the old DP LNBFs with it. If that's the case, I'll get one and put my three separate dishes up for each orbital location, I like that because it helps with rainfade. In the mean time, I'll make do with the 1000.2.

So an H3 can support up to 7 Joeys, so 8 people can watch at any given time. This implies those 8 streams are being buffered on the HDD. That leaves 8 possible direct to HDD recordings.

Does the H3 allow 16 direct to HDD DVR recordings simultaneously if no one is watching TV.
Dish said max of 6 Joeys, not 7.

Reactions: Foxbat
I haven't put the poly pipe in the ground yet. I will do that with pull cord for fishing cable and another pull cord when I do. I was planning on having 3 RG6 cables plus messenger with a 2 HWS install until H3 was announced. Also, I was going to use the installer RG6. I don't want to do the install myself. However, given the length of the trench and necessity of going under a sidewalk, I have to do that part since the installer will not.

If you get in house tech, they should run dual orange burial cable for you. Also keep we mind, if it's in house tech they will not do any digging with out markings. It's company policy to have area mark before doing any digging . They will also supply pole and concrete if you need that..

I have two hoppers and two joeys. I would switch to hopper 3 and 3 joeys but like my PIP options with second hopper. Correct me if I'm wrong but only super joeys have pip and are not compatible with hopper3.

I have two hoppers and two joeys. I would switch to hopper 3 and 3 joeys but like my PIP options with second hopper. Correct me if I'm wrong but only super joeys have pip and are not compatible with hopper3.

Yep, Chad is correct. So, if you wanted to go to an H3 you simply order up a 4K Joey to replace one of those Hoppers and you have PIP on two TVs just like you have today.

That is incorrect. Only the 4K joeys will have pip, and they are compatible with Hoppers and H3's.
Yup, knew that but got all discombobulated
Yep, Chad is correct. So, if you wanted to go to an H3 you simply order up a 4K Joey to replace one of those Hoppers and you have PIP on two TVs just like you have today.
Yup, I re-read earlier posts that talked about super joeys having pip but never happened. I would want two 4k's so I could have pip on third tv. i like the idea of new stuff but might just keep the setup i have now.
Hopper 3 is $15. how much are the 4k joeys with one joey 2.0. Spending more makes little sense at a time when its getting crazy to watch bills go up. But on the other hand...

Yup, knew that but got all discombobulated

Yup, I re-read earlier posts that talked about super joeys having pip but never happened. I would want two 4k's so I could have pip on third tv. i like the idea of new stuff but might just keep the setup i have now.
Hopper 3 is $15. how much are the 4k joeys with one joey 2.0. Spending more makes little sense at a time when its getting crazy to watch bills go up. But on the other hand...
From everything I have read, the4K Joey will be the same price as the Joey....for now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)