HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Hopper 3 was installed today along with 2 Joey 2's. It was the installers first Hopper 3 in this city. Took about 1 hour and 20 minutes and everything is up and running. Great technician!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying that it's pointless to get the Hopper3 if your tv upconverts?
I don't think so because the Hopper 3 can put out a 4K signal that doesn't need up-conversion.... Now, the TV is going to do a better job of up-converting the 1080I or P signal that it also has...

Not at all. But you should be aware that the Hopper 3 does not upscale to 4K, it will send that to the tv if the source material is 4K, otherwise it sends whatever you've set it to be and either the tv, AVR or up scaling bd player can do it depending on how you have them set up.
For instance, I have my Denon AVR set to pass through everything and let the tv do it. I tested letting the Denon do it, but it doesn't do as good a jobs site the tv itself does.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

What settings / options are there under Menu, TV, Aspect ratio (?) or output resolution?
For resolution there are 4 choices:
4K, 1080p, 1080i (these are grouped together)
720p
480p
480i

For aspect ratio:
16/9
4/3 with horizontal compression
4/3 without horizontal compression

I've been speaking with a DIRT member about getting a Hopper 3 upgrade, but he is saying my Joey will not work with it. I checked the MOCA Summary on my existing Hopper w/ Sling and it indicates I have a JoeyCR, which I believe is indicative of a Joey 2.0. Is this correct?

If the DIRT member is not able to get my upgrade to go through with my existing Joey, can I put the order through with an order to upgrade the Joey and have the installer leave my existing Joey in? Normally I wouldn't care, but the Joey is purchased as I don't have it activated year-round.

I bought it in December from Dish Depot, and it was activated 12/24/2015. It does show on MyDish.com as a JOEY1.0, though I believe all current Joey receivers do.

Edit: It has S487 software.

Is Dish leaving the old hopper for us to transfer the recordings from? I thought I remember reading that there would be a way to make the transfers over your network connection.

Hi, Everyone

I just called Dish and I could not upgrade my old Hopper with the new H3 because the Puerto Rico area is not supported. Why is this? Is their a technical reason for this? Scott do you have any news for us in Puerto Rico about this?

Hi, Everyone

I just called Dish and I could not upgrade my old Hopper with the new H3 because the Puerto Rico area is not supported. Why is this? Is their a technical reason for this? Scott do you have any news for us in Puerto Rico about this?

I was going to ask the same type of question, what is different in regards to sat reception with Hopper 3 vs Hopper 2 that it makes it not usable in some areas (at least for now) such as Puerto Rico and me in Seattle/Tacoma WA and others reporting an issue in Rhode Island and Connecticut? What is so drastically changed with the Hopper 3 re: sat reception vs. Hopper 2?

I was going to ask the same type of question, what is different in regards to sat reception with Hopper 3 vs Hopper 2 that it makes it not usable in some areas (at least for now) such as Puerto Rico and me in Seattle/Tacoma WA and others reporting an issue in Rhode Island and Connecticut? What is so drastically changed with the Hopper 3 re: sat reception vs. Hopper 2?

It requires a different LNB. That's it I believe.

I've been speaking with a DIRT member about getting a Hopper 3 upgrade, but he is saying my Joey will not work with it. I checked the MOCA Summary on my existing Hopper w/ Sling and it indicates I have a JoeyCR, which I believe is indicative of a Joey 2.0. Is this correct?

If the DIRT member is not able to get my upgrade to go through with my existing Joey, can I put the order through with an order to upgrade the Joey and have the installer leave my existing Joey in? Normally I wouldn't care, but the Joey is purchased as I don't have it activated year-round.
A Joey CR is, indeed, a Joey 2. However, even if it was a Joey 1, they would replace it, for free, with a Joey 2 as part of the upgrade. Go back to them...

A Joey CR is, indeed, a Joey 2. However, even if it was a Joey 1, they would replace it, for free, with a Joey 2 as part of the upgrade. Go back to them...

I do t think the upgrade is the concern. I think the fact that he owns the other receiver and it would then be worthless to him if it is indeed a Joey 1.

It requires a different LNB. That's it I believe.
That's not what the CSR said yesterday, they said it needs more than just a different LNB to work where I live. Right now I have two sat dishes installed by Dish in order to get reception here in Seattle/Tacoma WA.

My question is what changed in the Hopper 3's design vs. Hopper 2 in satellite reception why a Hopper 2 will work in areas where the Hopper 3 won't?

That's not what the CSR said yesterday, they said it needs more than just a different LNB to work where I live. Right now I have two sat dishes installed by Dish in order to get reception here in Seattle/Tacoma WA.

My question is what changed in the Hopper 3's design vs. Hopper 2 in satellite reception why a Hopper 2 will work in areas where the Hopper 3 won't?

The Hopper 3 requires a new LNB and the new LNB does not work in your area. Therefore it is due to the new LNB.

The Hopper 3 requires a new LNB and the new LNB does not work in your area. Therefore it is due to the new LNB.
OK, we're getting somewhere but what changed about sat reception with Hopper 3 requiring a new LNB? is it doing something useful like improving picture quality? does anyone know WHY a new LNB is needed for the Hopper 3?

OK, we're getting somewhere but what changed about sat reception with Hopper 3 requiring a new LNB? is it doing something useful like improving picture quality? does anyone know WHY a new LNB is needed for the Hopper 3?

I think being able to supply a receiver with 16 tuners with only a single cable has a lot to do with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)