HOPPER 3 UPGRADES

Thanks, just out of curiousity, how long does it take to transfer 1TB of stuff to the EHD and when hooking up the EHD, do I need to unplug the Hopper or can I actually plug in the EHD while the Hopper is still on?
Just plug the USB port into the Hopper and it should recognize it.
We transferred less than 500gb of programs to our older USB 2.0 drive and it took over 9 hours to complete, and it takes the same amount of time to restore to the H3. Not sure how long a USB 3.0 drive would take, but if you have close to a TB plan for a couple of days.

Reactions: Almighty1
Just plug the USB port into the Hopper and it should recognize it.
We transferred less than 500gb of programs to our older USB 2.0 drive and it took over 9 hours to complete, and it takes the same amount of time to restore to the H3. Not sure how long a USB 3.0 drive would take, but if you have close to a TB plan for a couple of days.
I would not bother restoring them back to the new Hopper. Just select the EHD from the "sources" choice and watch them from it.

Nice idea. However. EHD not seen by Dish Anywhere.
On your hard drive do you have a light showing it's on? If not is it supposed to have one?
Try unplugging the USB and then plugging it back in making sure it is secure.
Give it a minute or so to show it found the drive, then if not try a red button reboot with the drive attached and turned on.
If that doesn't work maybe a dead hard drive?

Nice idea. However. EHD not seen by Dish Anywhere.
Point taken. (ie...didn't know that)

I've had an EHD ever since I had to pony up a $39.99 activation fee for my ViP 722 (one year later it was free to everyone...grrrr)

But one thing I am finding out, though, is that nowadays with Hulu, Netflix, Dish's On Demand, etc. I am finding very little I really need to archive anymore.

[QUOTE="eddie willers, post: 3824926, member: 38
But one thing I am finding out, though, is that nowadays with Hulu, Netflix, Dish's On Demand, etc. I am finding very little I really need to archive anymore.[/QUOTE]
I agree for people with fast internet speeds. For me to get HD it is better from an EHD. Dish VOD is not really OD. Most shows take hours before they are downloaded.

What has been the ETF for the H3 upgrades, Disclosure said $20 per month for each remaining month left on contract, my current HWS contract was $10 for each remaining month ,, is this because I still have a few months left on my current contract? Don't really plan on going anywhere just curious if it is different for the H3 upgrades <br /><br />Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I don't think that's true anymore. I think all etf's are $20 per month now.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

You're right, they did change it. I must have looked at an outdated PDF on the Portal. The current Business Rules say the cancellation fee is $480 prorated at $20/mo.

This was the disclosure I received from DIRT and confirmed, I thought it may have been the higher ETF since I still had a few months left on current contract but perhaps that's the new norm:

'You have elected to participate in the Change Receiver Program which requires a new 24 month agreement. If you break your commitment you will be charged an early termination fee of $20 for each month remaining in your commitment to the card used to qualify."

This was the disclosure I received from DIRT and confirmed, I thought it may have been the higher ETF since I still had a few months left on current contract but perhaps that's the new norm:

'You have elected to participate in the Change Receiver Program which requires a new 24 month agreement. If you break your commitment you will be charged an early termination fee of $20 for each month remaining in your commitment to the card used to qualify."

Where is the commitment date in the mydish.com account site?

I forgot to ask a question about the External HD, can someone provide a quick tutorial on how to access the EHD to transfer the videos and also how to view the recordings on the EHD on the DISH Hopper 2K? Is everything there when I press the DVR button or would it require more than that? Thanks!

On the 52 (main remote that came with the Hopper 3)remote press DVR..then Options..select Manage Recordings...Select the program you want to transfer to the external drive..then Transfer to External Drive (button 6).

To watch recordings on the external drive,,,select DVR and then Sources. There you can choose from Hopper 3 or External Hard Drive. Once you choose External Hard Drive, your programs will appear.

Reactions: Almighty1
No upgrade for me. I went through DIRT and best they could do was $75 for H3 and $50 for 4k Joey. I agreed to protection plan to avoid $95 tech fee and $50 for the 4k Joey and they wouldn't budge. Started out at $150, $50, $95. I started with Dish in 1998 and stayed till 2011 when I could no longer take the buggy 922. Went to Dtv for 3 years and came back to Dish in 2014. Still under contract till April and have bundled billing with local telco. Perfect credit, 2 recent refer a friend credits, and I asked for a discount in December. I received $15/mo for 6 months not great but better than nothing. I never called in to complain about the Fox blackout or recent local channel blackouts within the last 2 years.
I don't need to spend the money being retired anyhow, but I would think a 2 year commitment would be enough considering the above. Only explanation I got was that they had to adhere to "certain criteria". I was polite and thanked the individual for their help and all the help the DIRT team gives us here at Satellite Guys. They came back with "we can reevaluate your account in a few months if you are still interested". This way I can sit back and let all you guys deal with the "early adopter blues". ;)

No upgrade for me. I went through DIRT and best they could do was $75 for H3 and $50 for 4k Joey. I agreed to protection plan to avoid $95 tech fee and $50 for the 4k Joey and they wouldn't budge. Started out at $150, $50, $95. I started with Dish in 1998 and stayed till 2011 when I could no longer take the buggy 922. Went to Dtv for 3 years and came back to Dish in 2014. Still under contract till April and have bundled billing with local telco. Perfect credit, 2 recent refer a friend credits, and I asked for a discount in December. I received $15/mo for 6 months not great but better than nothing. I never called in to complain about the Fox blackout or recent local channel blackouts within the last 2 years.
I don't need to spend the money being retired anyhow, but I would think a 2 year commitment would be enough considering the above. Only explanation I got was that they had to adhere to "certain criteria". I was polite and thanked the individual for their help and all the help the DIRT team gives us here at Satellite Guys. They came back with "we can reevaluate your account in a few months if you are still interested". This way I can sit back and let all you guys deal with the "early adopter blues". ;)

You were offered a pretty good deal since you are a Former Customer that is still under contract and have already taken discounts from them. Like they said though, check back in a couple months when you are out of contract and most likely it will be free.

You were offered a pretty good deal since you are a Former Customer that is still under contract and have already taken discounts from them. Like they said though, check back in a couple months when you are out of contract and most likely it will be free.

That's kind of what I thought. Not a surprise to me but you never know till you ask. Not a big deal anyhow since I am happy with the HWS & SJ. Since my fees are grandfathered and there is little 4k content at the moment I am happy to stay put for now.